Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Q1 Visa

The Q-1 (Cultural Exchange Visa) is a nonimmigrant visa that allows individuals to enter the United States temporarily for the purpose of participating in an international cultural exchange program to increase cultural diversity.

If you would like assistance with your Q-1 visa application, give IAS a call at +1 844 290 6312. Our immigration experts are dedicated to helping you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Q-1 visa?

    The Q-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows international cultural exchange participants to temporarily work in the United States in an international cultural exchange program designated by the Department of Homeland Security. The aim of this cultural exchange program is to promote cultural diversity and encourage informational exchange between the United States and other foreign countries.

    These cultural exchange programs are administered by the Q1 visa holder’s U.S. employer and provide practical training while simultaneously promoting cultural exchange with the United States. While in the United States, international cultural exchange visitors can share their foreign culture and traditions with U.S. citizens while also gaining insight and familiarity into the American culture and improving their skills via the practical training programs.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Who is eligible for a Q-1 visa?

    The Q-1 visa is granted to individuals who have applied and been accepted into an international cultural exchange program that has been approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security.

    U.S. employers who are qualified to administer cultural exchange programs can petition an exchange visitor for a Q-1 visa. To be eligible for this employment-oriented program, all visa applicants must be able to meet the following requirements:

    • Be at least 18 years old
    • Are able to prove that they are qualified to perform the service, labor, or training in the training program
    • Have the English language skills necessary to communicate effectively the cultural attributes, ideas, and traditions of their culture to U.S. participants
    • Are able to demonstrate that he/she will return to his or her home country after the Q cultural exchange program has ended

    What are the requirements for sponsorship of a Q-1 visa?

    In order to become a Q-1 cultural exchange program sponsor, the U.S.-based employer must be able to meet the following requirements:

    • The employer must be a registered business in the United States
    • The employer must have an international cultural exchange program in their business
    • The business must employ international cultural exchange participants for the purposes of sharing their culture
    • The employer must have a person who acts as a liaison between the business and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
    • The business must organize events in which the participant provides cultural exchange information to their U.S. citizen colleagues
    • The employer is able to compensate the Q-1 visa holder for their services while working in the United States. This compensation must be similar to what is offered to U.S. citizen workers who work in that same position.
    • The employer is able to offer appropriate and safe working conditions to the international cultural exchange visitor

    What is the visa application process for a Q-1 visa?

    In order to receive a Q-1 visa, the employer must first be approved for sponsorship by the USCIS. To be approved to be a sponsor of an international cultural exchange program, the employer or a designated agent who works for the employer in a permanent role in an executive or managerial capacity, must first file Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.

    If USCIS approves the petition, the visa applicant can then proceed to the visa application stage which will be processed through a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the visa applicant’s country of residence. The applicant will then need to complete and submit Form DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application). This is an online form that will ask the applicant questions regarding their background, education, qualifications, and reasons for coming to the United States. Once you have submitted this online form, you will be shown a confirmation page and number. It is important that you print out this confirmation page as you will need to submit it along with other supporting documents at your visa interview.

    After the applicant has submitted Form DS-160, he/she will then need to pay the Q-1 visa application fee then schedule and attend a visa interview at their nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The visa interview is mandatory for all nonimmigrant visa applicants between the ages of 14-79. At this interview, applicants will need to submit a portfolio of supporting documents in addition to being asked a series of questions related to their background and reasons for travel to the United States. At the end of the visa interview, if the consular officer is satisfied both with the documents and interview, the visa applicant will then be approved for a Q-1 visa and can then travel to the United States for the international cultural program.

    What documents are required for the petition?

    When the U.S. employer files Form I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker) to the USCIS, the employer will need to submit evidence proving that they are qualified to sponsor and facilitate an international cultural exchange program. In addition to Form I-129, the employer will need to submit the following documents with their petition:

    • Any evidence that shows proof of the employer having any international cultural exchange programs in their business (ex. catalogs, brochures, or other promotional materials explaining the program’s cultural component)
    • Any evidence which proves that the employer has the financial ability to pay the exchange visitor (ex. financial statements, business tax forms, copies of previous payments to similar positions)
    • A description of the employer’s exchange program with detailed activities and locations as to where the Q-1 foreign national will provide cultural exchange information. Locations can include schools, museums, businesses, or other establishments where the American public (or audiences who share a common cultural interest) can be exposed to the visitor’s culture as part of a structured program.
    • Any evidence which proves that the exchange visitor is qualified to participate in the program. This evidence should include information regarding the visitor’s age, education, and qualifications.

    After USCIS reviews the supporting documents, they will notify the employer or business with a decision regarding whether the petition has been approved. If approved, USCIS will send Form I-797 (Notice of Action) to both the sponsor and cultural exchange participant.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your Q-1 visa application. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What documents are required for the visa interview?

      After the USCIS has approved the petition, the exchange visitor will then need to begin the visa application process by submitting Form DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application) and attending a visa interview. At the interview, the visa applicant will need to submit the following supporting documents:

      • A valid passport
      • A photograph that meets the requirements for a U.S. visa
      • Form I-797 (Notice of Action)
      • DS-160 confirmation page
      • Visa fee payment receipt
      • Visa interview confirmation letter
      • Evidence of the applicant’s educational qualifications
      • Evidence of the applicant’s previous work experience
      • Any evidence which demonstrates that the visa applicant has social and economic ties to his or her home country (ex. bank account statements, property deeds, lease agreements, or mortgage statements, birth or marriage certificates that show proof of family back home, etc)

      All documents that are not in English will need to be accompanied by certified translations in order to be accepted.

      How much does the Q1 visa cost?

      The overall cost of a Q1 visa will depend on the country from where it was issued and if there are any miscellaneous fees involved. Generally, the fees will include:

      • Form I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker): $460 (this will be paid by the qualified employer)
      • Q1 visa application fee: $190 (paid for by the applicant)
      • Costs of certified translations: costs will vary
      • Visa issuance fees: costs will vary depending on the country from where the visa was issued
      cultural exhanges

      How long does it take to process a Q1 visa?

      The visa application processing time for a Q1 visa will vary depending on the workloads and possible backlogs at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate from where the visa was issued. The overall waiting time ranges from as little as 15 days up to 3 months.

      Once a decision has been reached regarding the decision of the Q1 visa, the Embassy or Consulate will inform the applicant and deliver back the passport to the visa holder via a courier.

      How long is the Q-1 visa valid?

      Foreign nationals in the United States under a Q-1 visa can stay in the country for the duration of their cultural program. The maximum amount of time that a participant can stay in the U.S. under a Q-1 visa is 15 months.

      After the cultural exchange program has ended, the foreign national has 30 days to depart the United States. If a participant would like to apply to another Q-1 cultural program again, he or she will need to wait one year before applying for another Q-1 visa.

      If you have any questions about your Q-1 visa application, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        What is the difference between a J-1 and Q-1 visa?

        Although the J-1 visa and the Q-1 visa are both nonimmigrant visas for individuals who are participating in Exchange Visitor programs in the United States, each visa is administered under a different government agency. J-1 visas are processed and issued through the U.S. Department of States whereas Q-1 visas are processed and issued through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

        Furthermore, the J-1 visa is more focused on visitors who come to the United States for academic purposes such as teaching, studying, or doing research in their respective fields. In addition, J-1 visa programs are managed by an organization certified by the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) which is meant to promote the international exchange of ideas, people, and talent in the artistic, educational, and scientific fields.

        Unlike the Q-1 visa where participants can be employed in any field as long as their sponsor is a qualified sponsor, those who are employed under a J-1 visa are limited to camp counselors, nannies, research assistants, students, and teachers. Some J-1 visa holders are even eligible to bring spouses and dependent children with them to the United States on a dependents visa which is not available for Q1 visa holders.

        Q-1 visa holders, however, can work and train in the United States as long as they are paid the same salary or wage as their U.S. citizen colleagues and participate in some form of cultural exchange where they can share their culture, traditions, and history with others in the United States.

        How can IAS help me?

        Our attorneys at IAS are experts in immigration law and keep up-to-date with all the recent developments in the U.S. immigration system. We understand that applying for a U.S. visa can be confusing and we are here to offer you the best legal guidance every step of the way.

        Our attorneys can offer you the following services:

        • Help with filing a visa petition
        • Assessing your eligibility as a sponsoring organization
        • Ensuring that you have put together an adequate portfolio of documents
        • Liaise between you and the USCIS

        For more information on how we can best help you through your visa application process, Get in touch today at +1 844 290 6312 or leave a message online and we will get back to you.

        program activities
        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  The Q-1 visa does not allow for the sponsorship of dependency visas. Therefore, any dependent children, spouses, or civil partners who would like to accompany the Q-1 visa holder to the United States will need to acquire another nonimmigrant visa for their journey, such as a B2 Tourist Visa.

                  There are no annual caps on the number of Q-1 visas issued each year. As long as participants can fulfill the eligibility criteria and find a cultural exchange program in the U.S. to hire them, then they can begin the petition process whenever they like.

                  Although it may appear to be similar, the Q-2 work visa should not be confused with the Q1 visa. The Q2 visa, also known as the Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program visa allows young residents between the ages of 18-35 from disadvantaged areas of Northern Ireland along with six border counties of the Republic of Ireland to spend up to 36 months in the United States where they work and receive training.