Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you must obtain the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to be able to travel to Canada.

For assistance with your application, call us today on +1 844 290 6312. We are here to help via the phone, online, or in person.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the Canada Electronic Travel Authorization?

    Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a requirement for citizens of visa-exempt countries. The eTA is linked to their passport and allows them to travel to Canada.
    eTAs are valid for up to five years or until the holder’s passport expires. Throughout the duration of the eTA, the holder can travel to Canada as many times as they want provided that their stays are short-term, typically for up to 6 months at a time.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Who is Eligible for the eTA?

    To be able to obtain the eTA, foreign nationals must have a valid passport from one of the following visa-exempt countries:

    • Andorra
    • Australia
    • Austria
    • Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belgium
    • British citizen
    • British overseas territories
    • Brunei Darussalam
    • Bulgaria
    • Chile
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hong Kong
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Latvia
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Mexico
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • New Zealand
    • Norway
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Republic of Korea
    • Romania
    • Samoa
    • San Marino
    • Singapore
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Solomon Islands
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Taiwan
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United Kingdom
    • Vatican City State

    Citizens of countries that are not on the visa-exempt list are not eligible for the eTA and must obtain a Visitor Visa to be able to travel to Canada.

    What is the Application Process for the eTA?

    Applications for the eTA must be submitted online. Applicants must fill in the online form and pay the application fee. Once they complete these steps, they will receive an email with their eTA number.
    Citizens of visa-exempt countries do not have to meet any specific requirements to get their eTA. They just need to provide personal details such as their name, date of birth, address, nationality, occupation, and passport number.

    Sometimes, applicants might be asked to submit additional documents. If this is the case, they are sent an email with instructions within 72 hours of them submitting their online application.

    Before you submit your application, check the information you provided to make sure you entered the correct passport number. This is because eTAs are linked to passports. So, if you make a mistake, you will not have the right to travel to Canada and you will have to submit a new application for another eTA.

    Get in touch with our team today to learn more about our professional services. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What Happens if the Application is Refused?

      After an applicant successfully applies for their eTA, they receive a confirmation email with the eTA number that confirms their right to travel to Canada.
      In a situation where a foreign citizen’s application is refused, they will be denied boarding.

      Nevertheless, along with the refusal notification, they receive an explanation for the decision and can correct the problem and submit a new application.

      It is also possible to appeal the refusal and ask the Federal Court of Canada to review the decision.

      To do that, however, a lawyer must apply for judicial review on the behalf of the applicant.

      If your eTA application has been unsuccessful and you are wondering what your options are, get in touch with our lawyers.

      They will analyse your circumstances and tell you how to proceed.

      How Can IAS Help?

      Even if you do not need to go through the visa application process to travel to Canada, you still have to get the eTA which confirms your right to enter the country.

      At IAS, we have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can analyse your individual circumstances and help you determine whether you are eligible for the Canadian eTA.

      Our immigration experts can also explain to you in detail how you can obtain your eTA and what documents you might need to provide. They can also answer all your questions, making sure that you are ready for your trip and have all the necessary approvals and travel documents.

      And, even if your application is unsuccessful, they can help you come up with a solution.

      Contact us today on +1 844 290 6312 for more information about the services we offer.

      If you have any questions about your Canada electronic travel eligibility, our team is happy to assist you. Contact us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Get in touch

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Those who want to apply for an eTA must pay the application fee of CAN$7. The fee is non-refundable so the applicant does not get their money back if their application is refused or if they withdraw it.
                  As for the waiting time, most applicants get their email confirmation within just a few minutes. The processing can take longer if the applicant is asked to submit additional documents.

                  Holders of the eTA have the right not only to visit but also to study in Canada for up to 6 months at a time. That means that if you want to complete a short-term study course in Canada, you might be able to do it with the eTA. However, you are not allowed to study for a period longer than 6 months.
                  Unfortunately, having the eTA does not grant you the right to work in Canada. If you want to work or study for more than 6 months, you need to apply for a separate work permit or study permit.

                  When you arrive at the Canadian border, an officer will scan your passport to confirm that you have received the approval to travel to Canada. Your eTA is electronically linked to your passport so you do not have to print it out before you arrive.
                  Once the immigration officer confirms your identity and your right to enter Canada, they will inform you of how long you can stay in the country. Typically, this is a period of up to six months.

                  If you are a citizen of a country that is not included on the visa-exempt list, different entry rules apply to you. You must get a Visitor Visa rather than the eTA to be able to enter Canada. There are a number of eligibility requirements you must meet to get it.
                  Contact our lawyers and they will determine whether you are eligible for a Canadian Visitor Visa. If so, they will guide you through the application process.