What is an H3 Visa?

The H-3 Visa, or H3 Visa, allows foreign nationals to temporarily enter the U.S. as either Trainees or Special Education Exchange Visitors.

This visa is available for two categories of applicants:

  • Trainees seeking training in any field, and that is not available in their home country;
  • Special Education Exchange Visitors, participating in training programs that involve children with disabilities.

Every year, only 50 applicants are selected to get this nonimmigrant status.

How can we help with your Trainee Visa

Over the last few years, the H3 visa process has become increasingly complicated. Since the government can grant only 50 petitions every year, it is crucial to seek legal guidance.

Our team of specialist lawyers is happy to assist you with your H3 Visa application. We can assess your program options among the ones available and advise you on the next step to take.

We can assess which visa tier is more appropriate for your needs. We will also liaise with your sponsor in the U.S., making the application process less complicated and avoiding any delay.

Get in touch today to discuss the most profitable strategy to get your visa. You can use our online contact form or call us on +1844 290 6312.


What are the H3 Visa requirements?

To qualify for an H-3 trainee Visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • The training program must not be available in your home country;
  • You must not be seeking medical training;
  • You need this training to advance your career in any country outside the U.S.;
  • You will not pursue a career in the U.S.;
  • You cannot be placed in a position which is typically offered to U.S. citizens;
  • You must not already possess any valuable training or expertise in your field.

You are allowed to study if this may support your training. However, since you must be engaged in your program on a full-time basis, you cannot join a full-length educational course. If you are a foreign pupil interested in studying as well as receiving training, you can submit a J1 Visa application.

If you are applying for a Special education training program, you cannot be engaged in the custodial care of children.

What activities qualify for the H-3 Visa?

Any H3 Trainee Visa applicant must be sponsored by an U.S.-based organization or individual to receive training. This could be in any field, including commerce, transportation, finance, communications, and agriculture.

Although this program is aimed to provide job-related training, it cannot be intended to offer employment in the U.S.

What is the H3 Visa application process?

The H3 Visa process depends on your chosen program. The processing time may vary from a few weeks to three months in either case.

To apply as a trainee, you need to file a Form I-129. Your petition must include a written statement describing the structure of your training program. It is also important to stress how you are going to use this knowledge for your career outside the U.S.

Special Education Exchange Visitors petitions must be filed by the sponsor that is going to provide your training. It should include a detailed description of your role and your participation in the program.

In addition, your supporting documents must show that you hold or are nearing the completion of a degree in special education. Evidence of any prior training and experience in the same field can enhance your chances to get an H-3 Visa.

How long can I stay in the U.S. with an H3 Visa?

The H3 visa is a nonimmigrant permit that usually grants a period of stay of up to 2 years. However, if you are applying as a Special Education Exchange Visitor, you can remain in the country for no more than 18 months.

There is no possibility of extension of an H-3 Visa. Upon completion of your program, you must go back to your home country. You need to reside outside the U.S. for six months before you can re-apply for an H or L visa status.

Since this is a non-immigrant permit, it cannot be used as a pathway to permanent residency in the U.S.

The only possible way to go from an H3 Visa to a Green card is to request a change to another immigrant status.

Can I extend my H3 Visa status to my dependents?

Your immediate relatives, meaning your spouse and your unmarried children under the age of 21, can join you in the U.S.

They may apply for an H4 non-immigrant visa. However, they are not permitted to work while in the U.S.

Your family can also join you in the U.S. for a short-term holiday. To this end, you can support their application with an invitation letter for Tourist Visas.

What services does IAS offer?

Our specialists are experienced in assisting trainees coming to enhance their skills in the US.

As part of our service, you will be paired with one of our immigration advisors.

Your lawyer will:

  • Review your supporting documents;
  • Check if your trainee program meets the H3 Visa requirements;
  • Liaise with your sponsor to support your application;
  • Check if your I-129 petition has been filed properly;
  • Assist you with your case from start to end.

If you want to know more information, call us on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online.

Remove the stress from the immigration process with our three-step approach

Our experienced immigration lawyers will remove the stress, whilst maximising your chances of a successful outcome.

Latest reviews

Communication was speedy, all staff I interacted with were friendly and professional. The appointment with Danielle Blake was informative and… Read More
IAS was incredibly professional and helpful. They answered all of my questions and I would definitely recommend their services to… Read More

Superb Service all Questions Answered to the point :)