USA and the UK
- What is the UK Global Talent Visa?
- Who is eligible for the Global Talent Visa?
- What endorsements are required for a Global Talent Visa?
- What is the eligibility criteria for an endorsement?
- How to apply for a Global Talent Visa
- What documents are required for a Global Talent Visa?
- What are the benefits and advantages of a Global Talent Visa?
- How long is the Global Talent Visa valid?
- What is the cost of a Global Talent Visa?
- Can my family come with me to the UK on a Global Talent Visa?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is the UK Global Talent Visa?
The Global Talent Visa program allows foreign nationals to come to the UK for employment if they are considered leaders or potential leaders in the following areas:
- Academica or research
- Art and culture
- The digital technology sector
This UK visa which replaced the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa is not subject to a yearly cap. Under the Global Talent Visa route, visa holders can come to the UK without needing a prior job offer. Visa holders are also allowed to bring their dependent family members with them to the UK. Once working in the UK, foreign nationals under this UK immigration category are offered an accelerated pathway for UK permanent residency.
Who is eligible for the Global Talent Visa?
To apply for a Global Talent Visa, all applicants must be at least 18 years old and be able to obtain 70 points under the UK points-based immigration system. 70 points can be obtained by the following:
- Being awarded a prestigious prize listed in the Immigration rules Global Talent Appendix
- Being awarded an endorsement from an approved body
- Meeting the earned money requirement
What endorsements are required for a Global Talent Visa?
As part of the requirements for the Global Talent Program, visa applicants will need to have first received an official endorsement from one of the UK’s six approved endorsing bodies before applying for the UK visa.
Individuals in science, engineering, medicine, social sciences, humanities, and other academic and research roles will need to have received an endorsement letter from one of the following:
- The British Academy
- The Royal Academy of Engineering
- The Royal Society
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)
Eligible applicants in the academic and research field can enter the UK under endorsed funders, individual fellowships, peer review, or research appointment routes.
Individuals in non-academic arts, culture, and digital technology will need an endorsement from the following to be considered for a UK Global Talent Visa:
- Arts Council England
- Tech Nation
Foreign nationals who have not been granted an endorsement can still qualify for a Global Talent Visa if they have been awarded a qualifying prestigious prize.
What is the eligibility criteria for an endorsement?
Certain endorsements will require the applicant to meet a specific set of eligibility criteria. This criterion will depend on the applicant’s personal circumstances and area of expertise. Outlined below are the overall criteria for each expertise’s endorsement.
Arts and culture endorsement
Applicants applying for an Arts and Culture Endorsement will need to demonstrate that they have been professionally producing works of art for the last 5 years. In addition, applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Have a substantial track record in at least 2 countries
- Have received at least 3 recommendation letters from qualifying organizations
- Have work/performance experience in at least 2 countries that have media recognition
- Have shown exceptional promise with evidence from at least one country
In addition, applicants must be producing work, either on their own or as part of a group, that is published or performed internationally. This work must be considered as ‘outstanding’ by the Arts Council England judges.
Applicants who are applying as a leader will need to prove that they have a ‘substantial’ record of working in at least 2 countries. However, those who are applying as potential leaders only need to prove that they have a ‘developing’ record of work in at least 2 countries, including the applicant’s country of residence.
Furthermore, the applicant must prove that people have engaged with their work through the following:
Applicants who would like to apply for an architecture endorsement will need to:
- Provide 3 recommendation letters from eligible organizations
- Submit evidence of winning a prestigious award or producing a body of work that garnered media recognition in at least 2 counties
Fashion design industry endorsement
Applicants who would like to apply for a fashion design industry endorsement will need to:
- Prove that they have a leading role in the fashion industry
- Have evidence of professional engagement in the fashion design industry in the last 5 years
- Submit 3 letters of recommendation
Applicants who have exceptional promise will need to submit evidence of media recognition or have received sponsorship from an eligible fashion organization.
Film and television endorsement
Applicants who would like to apply for a film and television endorsement will need to:
- Have received a ‘main award’ in their industry such as an Academy Award, BAFTA, Golden Globe, or an Emmy, or has been nominated for the main award within the last 10 years
- Have at least 3 letters of recommendation from relevant bodies
Digital technology endorsement
Applicants who would like to apply for a digital technology endorsement will need to receive an endorsement from Tech Nation. Applicants may apply for endorsement under the Exception Talent or Exceptional Promise route (for those who are able to demonstrate potential to be a leader in the digital technology field). To receive a Tech Nation endorsement, applicants must demonstrate the following:
- If applying as a technical applicant, the foreign national will to prove their expertise in working with and building technical infrastructure
- If applying as a business applicant, the foreign national will need to provide evidence of commercial investment or product development expertise in building digital products or leading investments in digital products businesses
Applicants in the digital technology sector will also need to provide an up-to-date CV demonstrating their achievement in their digital technology field so far along with 3 letters of recommendation from authorized organizations in the digital technology industry.
Science, engineering, humanities, and medicine fields endorsement
Applicants who would like to apply for an endorsement in the fields of science, engineering, humanities, and/or medicine will need to be either an industry leader or an active researcher in their respective field through an eligible organization or company.
How to apply for a Global Talent Visa
Applications for the Global Talent Visa can be made online through the gov.uk website. Before a visa application is made, the applicant must have received an endorsement or won a qualifying prestigious award in their field.
After receiving an endorsement, applicants have 3 months to apply for their Global Talent Visa. If this endorsement is withdrawn, the applicant will no longer be able to apply. Visa applications should be made from outside the UK unless the applicant is already inside the UK and is switching from one UK visa to the Global Talent Visa or simply filing to extend their current Global Talent Visa.
After completing the visa application online, the applicant will then need to submit documents to the UK Home Office and pay the appropriate fees associated with the Global Talent Visa.
Applicants will then be asked to provide biometric information in the form of a photograph and fingerprints by making an appointment at the nearest UK visa application center. Some applicants will be asked to verify their identity by uploading their identity documents to the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app. Applicants will be notified on which course of action to take.
What documents are required for a Global Talent Visa?
As part of their visa application, applicants will need to submit a variety of documents. The specifics regarding what needs to be submitted to the Home Office will depend on the type of field the applicant is applying under. Overall, all visa applicants will need to submit the following:
- A valid passport or another travel document that proves identity and nationality
- Document verifying relationship to dependent family members (if applying to have your family members join you in the UK)
- Tuberculosis test results (if applying from a country where this is required)
Additional documents for Arts and culture applications
- An updated CV/ résumé which outlines the applicant’s achievement in their career (this must be no more than 3 pages in length)
- At least 3 letters of recommendation. These letters should confirm any achievements made by the applicant and explain how the applicant could benefit their career field in the UK if granted a Global Talent Visa.
- Up to 10 pieces of additional evidence. These pieces can include evidence such as media recognition, any international awards bestowed upon the applicant, public appearances, exhibitions, etc.
Additional Documents for Digital technology applications
- At least 3 letters of recommendation from established organizations are eligible for endorsement. These letters should include information regarding how the applicant is an industry leader or emerging leader in their field. In addition, these letters need to adequately convey how the applicant will contribute to the UK’s digital technology sector.
- Any documents related to how the applicant established or played a key role in a digital technology business
- Up to 10 pieces of evidence that demonstrate the applicant’s level of qualification and eligibility for the Global Talent Visa
Researchers and academic leader applications
- A letter from the human resources department of your current organization. This letter should include details about you, the nature of your work, the interview process the applicant underwent to obtain their job, and other relevant details relating to their position.
- A written statement by the applicant detailing the work they have undertaken and what they have achieved in their job role so far
Research grant applications
- Written confirmation that the applicant has been issued a grant from their funder that is valid for at least 2 years. The applicant will also need to provide evidence that they are in receipt of at least £30,000.
- Written confirmation from an internationally recognized industry leader in the applicant’s field detailing how the industry leader knows the applicant and how they can potentially contribute to the applicant’s respective industry in the UK
It should be noted that all documents that are not in English or Welsh language will need to be accompanied by certified translations.
What are the benefits and advantages of a Global Talent Visa?
The Global Talent Visa is intended to attract the best and brightest talent to the UK. For that reason, this UK visa carries with it loads of benefits and advantages to help attract foreign talent which includes the following:
- Unlike other UK visas, Global Talent visa holders can work for a number of employers in the UK or be self-employed if they are working in their relevant industry. They are not limited to only one UK employer and are welcome to seek opportunities with other UK employers if they see fit to do so.
- Applicants do not require a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) in order to work in the UK. Therefore, UK employers who hire a Global Talent visa holder will not need to acquire or hold a sponsor licence from the Home Office.
- Visa holders can change jobs in the UK as much as they like without the need to inform the Home Office of these changes
- Global Talent visa holders can stay in the UK for a 5 year period of time and can extend their visa indefinitely as long as they can still meet the visa requirements
- The Global Talent visa provides a pathway to permanent residence in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Remain). After securing Indefinite Leave to Remain and living in the UK for at least 1 year, Global Talent visa holders are welcome to apply for British citizenship and even a British passport.
How long is the Global Talent Visa valid?
The UK Global Talent Visa is valid for a period of up to 5 years. Visa holders who would like to remain in the UK can apply for an extension or renewal as many times as they would like if they can meet the requirements for the extension/renewal.
Extensions can last between 1-5 years depending on how long the visa holder would like to remain in the UK. Visa holders are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after living in the UK for 3 or 5 years, depending on the field in which the visa holder works.
What is the cost of a Global Talent Visa?
Applicants applying for the UK Global Talent Visa will need to pay the following fees associated with the visa application. This may include the following:
- Endorsement application: £456
- Visa applications: £167
- Healthcare surcharge: fees will be calculated at £624 per year of stay in the UK
Applicants who are applying based on receipt of an eligible award and who will not be applying for an endorsement will need to pay a total of £623 for their application in full. Applicants who are including dependent family members in their visa application will need to pay £623 per person.
Can my family come with me to the UK on a Global Talent Visa?
Eligible family members can come to the UK to live and work with the Global Talent Visa holder. Under UK immigration rules, eligible dependent family members are classified as the following:
- A spouse, civil partner, or unmarried ‘de facto’ partner
- Children under 18 years old (including any children born in the UK during your visa stay)
- Children over the age of 18 who live with their parents as a dependant
Global Talent visa applicants will need to provide proof of relationship to dependent family members. Furthermore, there are additional requirements which are outlined below.
Requirements for Spouses and partners
Spouses and partners of UK Global Talent visa holders who would like to join their family members in the UK will need:
- Be in a marriage or civil partnership that is recognized by the UK
- Have been living together and in a romantic relationship for at least two years before applying for the UK visa
Requirements for children
Children who are aged 16 years or older are eligible if:
- The older children are living with their parent(s) unless they are at a full-time boarding school or educational institution
- The older children are unmarried and with no children of their own
- The older children are fully financially supported by their parents (the use of public funds is prohibited)
Children who are living with their parents will need to provide at least 2 of the following documents:
- Driving license
- Bank statement
- Credit card/ utility bills
- NHS registration documents
- Official letters from educational facilities
All documents must be submitted in their original form and in English or Welsh. Photocopies will not be accepted. Documents that are not in these two languages will need to be accompanied by a certified translation.
Furthermore, all eligible family members who are applying for a dependant visa will need to pay the corresponding visa application fees as well as the healthcare surcharge fee for every year they will stay in the UK.
Last modified on August 15th, 2023 at 11:17 am
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
Continuous residence in the UK under the Global Talent Visa can lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) if the visa holder decides to apply and can meet the eligibility criteria for ILR.
Visa holders can apply for UK residency (ILR) if they have been living in the UK for the following amount of time:
- 3 years if the visa holder is applying as a Global Talent leader
- 5 years if the visa holder is applying as a Global Talent potential leader
Once you had have ILR for at least one year, you may be eligible to apply for British citizenship if you are able to meet the eligibility requirements.
After the visa applicant has completed their application online, submitted all necessary documents, paid the relevant fees, and verified their identity, their visa application will then be processed. It can take up to three weeks to receive a decision.
Applications can take longer to process if:
- The documents you submitted need additional verification
- You or an accompanying family member needs to attend an interview or an appointment
- You have personal circumstances that could compromise your eligibility such as a past criminal conviction, etc.
If this is the case, you will receive notification regarding why the visa application will take longer to process.
Global Talent visa applicants are not required to meet a certain level of English in order to be eligible for this UK visa. Therefore, foreign nationals with any level of English language ability can apply for this visa.
However, it should be noted that if the Global Talent visa holder would like to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain or later, British citizenship, will be required to meet a certain level of English language skills.
Global Talent visa holders can extend their visa as many times as they like on the condition that they are still able to meet the eligibility requirements for an extension.
Part of the requirements for an extension is that the visa holder is able to provide evidence that he/she has earned a sufficient amount of money while working in the UK in their expert field.
Extensions are granted for a period of up to 5 years at a time. Accompanying family members will need to apply for their extensions separately.