USA and the UK
British Citizenship by Birth
The ‘British Citizenship for child born abroad’ guidelines are more complex than they used to be. Children born to British parents outside of the UK do not automatically receive British Citizenship at birth. If you are living outside of the UK when your child is born, you will need to register them as a British citizen. Once you have done this, they will have access to the freedoms granted by British Citizenship.
You will need to apply for British Citizenship for your child born abroad before they can apply for a British passport. They will also not be able to enter the UK free from the Immigration Rules until they are registered. Registering for British Citizenship for your child born abroad can be done at any time before the child turns 18.
How can IAS help?
The team at IAS have experience in applying for British Citizenship for a child born abroad. Our expert lawyers will listen carefully to your circumstances. We will also advise you on your best options for getting the result you are looking for.
Registering for British Citizenship for your child born abroad can be a complex and extensive process. Call us on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to speak with an expert who can help you start your child’s application.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
Registering for British Citizenship for your child born abroad is similar to Naturalizing as an adult. However, your child will not need to prove their English Language ability or pass a ‘Life in the UK’ test.
You will still need to provide:
- Your child’s immigration history;
- Your reasons for wanting to apply;
- Original documents, such as a birth certificate and current passport.
Children born in the UK may be British citizens depending on when they were born. If your child was born:
- From 1 January 1983 to 2 October 2000, they will be a British citizen if either parent was living in the UK at the time;
- From 2 October 2000 to 29 April 2006, they will only be British if at least one parent had settled status or British Citizenship in the UK prior to the birth;
- On or after 30 April 2006, they will only be British if at least one parent lived in the UK continuously for five years exercising their rights under European law five years prior to the birth.
For more information or advice about your family circumstances, call +1844 290 6312 now or use our online contact form to request a free call-back.
You can only apply by descent for British Citizenship for a child born abroad if at least one parent held British Citizenship at the time of birth. Your child will have to register for British Citizenship before they have the same rights as British citizens.
For non-British parents of UK-born children, find out more about who qualifies for British Citizenship by birth.
Only British citizens can apply for a British passport, so this application can only be done once your child has been registered. Once you have their certificate of registration, you can begin the application for their British passport.
This process will be the same as for other British citizens. You must include endorsed photographs, previous passports and a range of other documents.
Find out more about how to apply for a British passport.
- Assessing your family’s eligibility and identifying the best route for your child to register as a British citizen;
- Checking your documents to ensure that you are able to prove your child meets all the requirements;
- Completing your application forms in full and collating them with your evidence to make your application easy to navigate by the Home Office;
- Producing a Letter of Representation to support your application;
- Liaising with the Home Office until a decision is reached on your case.
To start applying for British Citizenship for your child born abroad, or to find out more about your options, call +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online.