Immigration Advice Service
001 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Emigrating to Scotland

Moving from the U.S. to Scotland can be a complicated process, but our immigration attorneys are happy to help you and your family starting your new life in the UK.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Moving to Scotland from the US

Moving from the U.S. to Scotland can be a complicated process, which requires an extensive bundle of documents and paperwork. For this reason, it is recommended to seek the professional help of an immigration lawyer.

At IAS, our international immigration specialists can help you prepare for your application. Since there are many ways you can go about relocating to Scotland, our lawyers can help you choose the correct one for your situation and your family.

If you are a U.S. citizen and you wish to move to Scotland or anywhere in the UK, you should contact the British Embassy in Washington, D.C. or any British consulate near you.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo
from us to scotland

Do I need a visa to enter Scotland?

U.S. citizens do not need a Tourist Visa to enter Scotland. However, they must present their U.S. passport, which must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date you arrive in Scotland. In addition, your travel documents must have adequate unused visa pages to allow for entry and exit stamps upon arrival and departure from the UK.

If you wish to study, work or otherwise stay in Scotland for longer than six months, you will require a visa. It is recommended to seek the advice of a professional immigration lawyer to investigate your situation thoroughly and ensure a smooth emigration process.

Seeking Medical treatment in Scotland

People living in Scotland can take advantage of the National Health Service (NHS) as well as private and complementary medicine practices available.

U.S. visitors in Scotland and the UK do not qualify for treatment under the National Health Service (NHS). This means that U.S. citizen visitors need to pay for treatment at the time of the visit.

If you are a U.S. citizen who is living temporarily in the UK, you should check if you qualify for free NHS treatment under the terms of your visa.

For this reason, before you travel to Scotland you should have sufficient medical insurance available to cover the cost of all medical treatment received while in the United Kingdom.

Joining your family in Scotland

If your family is already in the UK, you may be able to travel from the U.S. to Scotland to join them. Get in touch with IAS’ immigration attorneys to individually customize the immigration path which can best suit your needs.

UK Spouse Visa

You can apply for a UK Spouse Visa if you wish to join your partner who currently holds British Citizenship or settled status. The Spouse Visa will allow you to stay in Scotland for up to 33 months. After this period, you can apply for an extension which will eventually make you eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

UK Fiancé(e) Visa

Eligible UK Fiancé(e) Visa applicants can travel to Scotland from the U.S. to get married. However, for your application to be valid, your proposed partner should be a British citizen or a person already settled in the UK. When submitting your application, you must prove your intention to marry your partner within six months of your entry.

Call us today to learn more about the process to emigrate to Scotland. Contact Us

Fill out the form

Scotland Business Visas

There are many visas which allow migrants to live, work and carry out business-related activities in Scotland.

Start-Up Visa

The UK Start-up Visa is intended for high potential entrepreneurs who are seeking to start up their business in the UK and Scotland for the first time. Applicants are not required to have access to investment funds for their business but will need an endorsement from an approved endorsing body.

This visa is issued for 2 years. At the end of this period, you can switch into the Innovator category.

Innovator Visa

This visa category is for experienced business people who seek to establish their business in the UK. Applicants will need a minimum of £50,000 funding available to be invested in their business, as well as an endorsement from an approved endorsing body.

This UK Innovator Visa is valid for 3 years. Towards the end of this period, you can either apply for an extension for a further 3 years or apply to settle in the UK.

Scotland Working Visas

Skilled workers who have received a job offer from a UK-based employer can apply for a Tier 2 Visa. However, applicants must first ensure that their employer holds a valid Sponsor Licence.  In the majority of cases, your employer may also have to satisfy the “Resident Labour Market Test”, meaning that there is no other person in the EEA who has the skills to do that specific job as well as you.

Tier 2 (General) Visa

The Tier 2 Visa UK is for skilled workers who wish to stay in the UK. To be eligible, applicants need to score a total of 70 points. They must also meet specific English language requirements, and show evidence of an appropriate salary.

Depending on your role and industry, there are several tiers within this visa category. Get in touch with IAS’ immigration attorneys in the US and UK to find out more.

Tier 5 Temporary Work Visa

Workers who wish to move from the U.S. to Scotland temporarily can apply for  Tier 5 Temporary Work Visa.

To be eligible, you will need to have a job offer from a UK-based company which is allowed to hire foreign workers. This visa is valid for 12 months and it is open to those who wish to enter the UK as charity workers, artists, entertainers, diplomats or sportspersons.

Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

Scotland is part of the UK, along with England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Once you enter the United Kingdom on a valid visa, you will be allowed to freely move around the country without further need for visas.

For example, if you enter England on a Visitor Visa, you will be able to travel freely to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

For almost all types of UK visas, there are very stringent requirements, such as proving your English language skills. Nevertheless, citizens of English-speaking countries, like the United States, are exempt from this eligibility requirement.

As a general rule, you must apply for your visa before you travel to Scotland from the U.S. If you do not have the required clearance entry documents, you can be refused entry to the UK and sent back home.

When applying for your visa, you must take into account that the processing time may take longer than usual. To receive professional help from our immigration attorneys in the U.S., you can get in touch with IAS’ customer care team.

If you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country and have at least one grandparent who was born in the UK, you can emigrate to Scotland by applying for a UK Ancestry Visa. This visa lasts for 5 years. At the end of this period, you can apply to settle in the UK.