Why do you need a visa?

To bring my family to America To Visit America To Work in America

What is a U.S. Visa?

If you are a foreign national who wishes to enter the U.S., you may first need to obtain a visa.

Having a U.S. visa allows you to live in the country for a specific purpose and a fixed period. If your family is already in the U.S., they can petition for your visa. Otherwise, you can submit your application form to seek the right to enter the country.

Specific categories of visas are only open to skilled professionals and are subject to an annual cap. This means that sometimes you may need to wait several months or even years to get your permit. The USCIS issues a bulletin where you can find all the information about visas availability, as well as check the status of your application. Read More

Remove the stress from the immigration process with our three-step approach

Our experienced immigration lawyers will remove the stress, whilst maximising your chances of a successful outcome.

Watch our 90 second video to learn about how we can help you


How can my partner join me in the US?

If you are U.S. citizen, your partner can join you to get married and live together.

Your foreign spouse can apply for a Nonimmigrant Spouse Visa, also known as K-3 Visa. This permit must be issued in the country where the marriage took place and will let your partner travel to the U.S.

Similarly, your fiancé(e) can apply for a K-1 Visa or Fiance Visa. To qualify for this permit, you must intend to get married within 90 days of your partner’s admission in the U.S.

In the case of dependent children, you must also apply for a K2 Visa or a K4 Visa, depending on whether or not you are are already married.

How can I help my family travel to the U.S.?

If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you can sponsor your immediate relatives’ visa applications. Under the U.S. immigration law, the following categories are eligible for a Family-based Visa:

  • First preference: Unmarried children over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens;
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of permanent residents;
  • Second Preference (2B): Unmarried adult sons or daughters of permanent residents;
  • Third Preference: Married sons or daughters of U.S. citizens;
  • Fourth Preference: Adult brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

How can I work in the U.S.?

Foreign workers can apply for an employment-based visa to travel to the U.S.

Temporary worker visas are for professionals who want to stay in the U.S. for a fixed period, with nonimmigrant intents. This category includes the following visa tiers:

  • H-1B Visa, for professionals in specialty occupations;
  • E-1 and E-2 Visas, for foreign traders and investors
  • Intracompany Transferee for individuals working in a U.S.-based branch of their company;
  • Foreign media representatives, athletes, entertainers, and religious workers;
  • Applicants from Canada and Mexico under the NAFTA agreement.

Permanent worker visas are targeted at skilled foreign workers with “extraordinary ability”. This includes but is not limited to researchers, investors, and holders of an advanced degree.

What Visa do I need to visit the U.S.?

If you wish to visit the U.S. for a short period, you need to apply for one of the following:

  • B-1 Visitor Visa, for business activities;
  • B-2 Tourism Visa, for leisure rationale or for seeking medical treatment;
  • B1/B2 Visa, for a combination of both these purposes.

To be eligible, you must provide evidence of your nonimmigrant intent, meaning you must return to your home country at the end of your trip.

How can I settle in the U.S. with my family?

As a U.S. permanent resident, you can petition for your family to get a Green Card. However, family-based Green Cards are only available to your immediate relatives, that are:

  • Your spouse or unmarried partner;
  • Your unmarried children under the age of 21;
  • Parents or adult family members who require assistance.

Your family members who do not meet this legal definition can still apply for a Family Preference Visa.

What service does IAS offer?

When submitting your U.S. visa application, it is essential to complete your forms to the highest standard. If you make a mistake or submit insufficient documentation, the USCIS will need more time to process your application, and it can even reject it.

For this reason, it is recommended to seek expert legal advice. At IAS, our immigration lawyers can make your U.S. visa application process less stressful. We can help you complete your forms and liaise with the USCIS.

To start discussing the perfect strategy to get your U.S. visa, get in touch today. You can either call us on +1844 290 6312 or use our online contact form.

Latest reviews


The lawyer was very friendly and answered all my questions.


Brilliant service on our initial enquiry and call. Mary

I am happy with my first experience with IAS. I had an advice session with Verusha Ishwar. She was knowledgeable… Read More