USA and the UK
Types of Business Visas in Canada
A Canada Business Visa allows a business person to visit Canada or reside in the country for business reasons. There are different visa programs that can be categorically referred to as Canadian Business Visa. Each of them is explained below.
The Start-up Visa is one of the most used programs for business owners seeking entrance into Canada. The beauty of this Canada Business Visa option is that you do not need a lot of money to process this business visa. You only need a startup idea which has the support of a designated entity or organization in Canada. Then you will need settlement funds to cater for your living in Canada.
Another exciting thing about the Start-up Visa is that it allows you to bring your spouse and children along so long as they are qualified to visit Canada. Also, you are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship after three years of obtaining this visa. The following are the eligibility criteria for the Start-up visa:
- You must own at least 10% voting rights of the company share for your business to qualify. Your voting right alongside that of the designated entity must also be at least 50% in total.
- You must show commitments to your business from a designated entity, angel investor, Canadian parent company, or business incubator.
- You must meet the language requirements by passing an English or French language test.
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents throughout your stay in Canada.
Application for a Start-up Visa can be made online, where you can submit all required documents. The processing time is usually between 12 to 16 months. The application fee is C$1,575, excluding the fee for spouses and other dependents.
The Business Visitors program is common for people entering Canada for a short time business operation. Anyone that follows this route is eligible to stay in Canada for a maximum period of 6 months. You need to know that it is also one of the Canada Business Visa programs available under the Canadian Visitor Visa and Temporary Residence Visa for people with international business activities.
Following this route, you will not need a work permit if you choose either USMCA Business Visitor or CETA Business Visitor. However, Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) may be required depending on the circumstances. The following is an overview of the eligibility criteria:
- Your total staying period in Canada must not exceed 6 months
- You are not seeking employment in Canada and thus not fit for the Canadian labour market, only a short-term business operation
- Your main business operation must be outside of Canada
- Your business and its operations must have a record of international business activities
- If participating in the free trade agreement, you must be a citizen of the qualifying countries
The Business Visitors entry does not have an advanced application procedure. The applications are made at the Port of Entry (POE). You must then provide all necessary documents to the border service officers to authorize your entry.
Federal Self-Employed Person Program
The Federal Self-Employed Person Program is one of the most exciting Canadian Business Visa routes. This is because it allows you direct access to permanent residency. The program is mainly targeted at people with relevant cultural experiences and athletes.
To qualify, you are expected to show commitment to Canadian culture and must be able to contribute meaningfully to the culture and sports activities in the country. Below are the requirements to be part of this program:
- At least 2 years experience in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level. Having a self-employed experience in any of those sectors can also be considered.
- You are expected to have a total experience of at least 5 years prior to your application for this program.
- You must demonstrate readiness to contribute meaningfully to athletics, culture, and art in Canada.
- You must acquire a minimum of 35 points in the assessment on your education, experience, age, language, and adaptability.
- You must also pass the medical and security test to be eligible.
Application is made online on the Canada Government website. You must pay the application fee of C$1,575 and submit all necessary documents.
Provincial Nominee Programs For Business
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows provinces in Canada to nominate an applicant for migration into the province. Such an applicant will then be eligible to submit a permanent residency application afterwards. Business persons and entrepreneurs are also eligible to participate in this Canada Business Visa program if their business benefits that province. It also allows the beneficiaries to enter the Canadian labour market.
The eligibility for this program can vary from one province to another. However, below are the general criteria for qualifying for it:
- A detailed business plan stating your business operations and how the province can benefit from it
- At least 2-5 years of experience in business management
- Language requirement
- Age requirement
- The government-required deposit to show commitment to the proposed business
- A minimum net worth as stipulated by the government of that province
Application for PNP can be a bit technical and overwhelming without adequate guidance. It is always advisable to seek the help of experienced experts such as Total Law to help with the processing.
Quebec is one of the most prominent provinces with a distinctive business immigration program. They offer various options for business owners and entrepreneurs. While the application can be competitive and time-bound, it is one of the best options to consider. Below is the list of the available business immigration program in Quebec province:
- Entrepreneur Program
- Self-employed Worker Program
- Investor Program Application Intake
Another thing you must know is that the Quebec application is different from the equivalent Federal programs. You are expected to send your application to the province using a courier service.
How We Can Help
Canadian Business Visa is available via different programs. If you are an investor or an entrepreneur, you can consider any of the explained routes above to migrate to Canada. Whether long-term or short-term business stay, there is always an option available for you.
Contact us at +1 844 290 6312 or chat with us online to speak with an expert immigration lawyer at IAS to assist with your Canadian business visa application. You’ll surely receive all the help you need to achieve your goals.
Last modified on August 29th, 2023 at 6:18 am
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.