If you are from outside the UK and are looking to study in the UK, getting a Student Visa may be the best option for you.

There are a number of types of visas to study in the UK. If you are looking to study for longer than six months, you may be eligible to apply for the Tier 4 General Visa. If your course is for less than six months, the Student Visitor Visa may work better for your circumstances.

How can IAS help?

We at IAS have worked with many international students to get their visas and study in England and the rest of the UK. We will be able to assess your eligibility and advise you on the best type of Study Visa for you. We can then assist with completing your application and gathering your evidence documents.

Your lawyer will manage all contact with the Entry Clearance Office and produce a Letter of Representation. This letter is submitted with your application and describes your case and any relevant UK case law to support it. We can also liaise with your UK sponsor to ensure that they are eligible to sponsor your application. If you are ready to start your application study in London or the rest of the UK, get in touch with our team on +1844 290 6312 today or make an inquiry online.


Will I need a visa to study in the UK long-term?

The Tier 4 Student Visa is a points-based application for adults applying to study in England and the UK. You must be coming to the UK for a course of longer than six months at a post-16 institution. You will need to fulfill the 40-point requirement. 30 points are achieved by receiving your Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) from your registered sponsor.

The other 10 points come from proof of adequate maintenance funds for your entire time in the country. You are generally allowed to stay for the duration of your course, with a short time before and after. Once this is over, you will be expected to leave the UK unless you wish to extend your stay or switch to another visa category.

Who can study in the UK?

For adult students wanting to study at a UK higher education institute, you will need to study under the Tier 4 Student Visa.

The Tier 4 Child Study Visa will also allow children under 18 to study long-term in the UK.

For a course that lasts six months or less, you can apply for the Student Visitor Visa. This will allow you to enter for up to six months to study in the UK. You must be at least 18 years old and able to prove you have the correct maintenance funds.

Can I use a Tier 4 Student Visa to send my child to school in the UK?

Yes, sending children to study in London or elsewhere in the UK is an attractive concept for many parents in non-EEA countries. If your child is between 4 and 17 they may be eligible for a Tier 4 Child Visa. You will need to prove that your child has an offer of study from an independent, fee-paying school.

You must make this application from the child’s country of residence. Typically, the child can stay for the duration of their study and four months once their course is over. After this, they must leave the UK, extend their stay or switch to another visa type.

What are my next steps if I want to make a Student Visa application?

You must first ensure that you are eligible before making an application for any type of visa to study in the UK. For any application, you will need to proof of the necessary maintenance funds and adequate accommodation. You or your child must also have an official offer letter to a UK institute. The Entry Clearance Office will also need:

  • several identification documents;
  • information on your background; and
  • information on your immigration history.

You will also need to provide evidence of English Language ability. This is not required if you are studying a course in English or are the resident of an English-speaking country.

Can I study in the UK without a visa?

Yes, to study in the UK you need to have a visa. However, this does not necessarily have to be through the points-based-system.

If you are visiting the UK to study for a temporary period (six months or less) you can apply for a Student Visitor Visa.

What services does IAS offer?

We understand how important education for you or your child is. Our lawyers have a wealth of experience in applying for all types of visa to study in the UK. If you are finding applying for a UK Study Visa stressful or difficult, reach out to our expert team today. Our services include:

  • Advising on your eligibility to study in the UK and identifying the correct visa route for you;
  • Ensuring your documents are sufficient and organized before your application;
  • Contacting your UK sponsor to ensure they are eligible to sponsor your application;
  • Obtaining your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Study);
  • Producing a Letter of Representation. This is a personalized legal document which references your case and supporting UK immigration laws;
  • Completing your application forms in full to a professional standard.

Make an inquiry or call us on +1844 290 6312 now to speak with an expert immigration consultant about how to study in England or the UK.

Useful information on...

Tier 4 Student Visa Student Visitor Visa Child Student Visas

Our UK Student Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to you, with written confirmation


Application Package

Full assistance throughout your entire application process


Fast Track Package

A premium service which allows your application to take priority position in your lawyer's workload


Appeal Package

Full representation through your appeal, including physical representation if your case is heard by a tribunal


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are very proud that we have changed so many of our client’s lives for the better. Here are a few of their stories:

Priyanka: Family Visa

Priyanka was an Indian National who wanted to visit her daughter, of whom she had had very little contact with, in the UK.
However, she was unsure of what the… Read More

Godfrey: Civil Partner Visa

George was from the UK and wanted to bring Godfrey, his partner, a Ghanaian National over to the UK as a Proposed Civil Partner.
George did well in life… Read More

Melissa’s Daughter’s British Citizenship

Melissa and her child are Filipino nationals who came to the UK to join Melissa’s husband.
Complications with their initial application and insufficient information being provided resulted in her child’s… Read More

Aleksander: Fiance Visa Reapplication

Aleksander is a South African National who was in long-term and long-distance relationship with his Fiancee in the UK.
He applied for a Fiancee Visa but was refused and the days until… Read More

Parents Visiting in the UK

Harriet is dual Canadian-British Citizen who was currently living in the UK. She needed guidance on whether her Canadian Citizen parents would need a visa to enter the UK… Read More

Marta: EEA PR

Marta is a Polish national who arrived in the UK to study four years ago and came close to fulfilling the requirements for Permanent Residency. However, she was unaware of… Read More

Latest reviews

Communication was speedy, all staff I interacted with were friendly and professional. The appointment with Danielle Blake was informative and… Read More
IAS was incredibly professional and helpful. They answered all of my questions and I would definitely recommend their services to… Read More

Superb Service all Questions Answered to the point :)

Latest news

PERM Labor Certification: Requirements and Eligibility Read More