Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

J2 Visa (Dependents of J1 Visa)

If you have a family member who is a J1 Visa holder then you may be able to apply for the J2 Visa for dependents if you wish to join them in the US.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a J2 Visa?

    The J-2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to the immediate relatives of a J1 exchange visitor.

    It is important to note that only your spouse and your children are legally recognized as “immediate relatives”. Extended family members, such as parents or siblings, do not qualify for a dependent visa.

    Once in the U.S., applicants may be allowed to seek employment after applying for a J2 Visa work permit.

    Whether you desire to join your family or to change your status, we are here to help. To speak with one of our IAS advisors, you can call us or make an inquiry online.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    How to Apply for a J2 Visa?

    Eligibility for a J2 Dependent Visa depends on the requirements and the benefits of each specific J1 program. For example, exchange categories such as au pair or camp counselor do not permit the release of J2 Visas.

    If you are eligible, your employer must agree to sponsor your family’s petition. Therefore, the details of each member must be included in the main application.

    Your sponsor will need to file a Form DS-2019 for each dependent who is going to accompany the J-1 Visa holder so the processing time will then be the same as the J1 permit.

    Once your visa is approved, you can either accompany or later join the principal J-1 holder in the U.S.

    Who is Eligible for a J2 Dependents Visa?

    The J2 Dependents Visa is available for the following immediate family members of a J1 permit holder:

    • Spouse or same-sex partner
    • Unmarried children under the age of 21 who are not living an independent life.

    Fiancé(e)s and unmarried partners are not eligible for this visa since the USCIS will ask for a genuine proof of marriage.

    It’s also important to note that certain categories of J1 Visa holders are not allowed to apply for a permit for their family. Reach out to an immigration expert for advice on which J1 Visa statuses are eligible.

    If you do not qualify for this visa, you may still be able to join your family in the U.S. temporarily under a B2 Visitor Visa.

    How to Get a Work Permit for a J2 Visa holder?

    If you hold a J-2 Visa, you may be allowed to work provided that you first submit a Form 1-765 to the USCIS.

    If approved, you will be granted an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You will then be able to seek employment for up to 1 year. If you want to preserve your status, you need to apply for further authorization every year until the end of your visa.

    A J2 Visa work permit usually takes between three to five months to be released. You can get a Social Security Number (SSN) when your EAD is approved. In some cases, you may receive an EAD card valid until the end of your J2 Visa. Once you find a job, you cannot use that money to support the principal J-1 visa holder. Please keep in mind that you will be subject to all U.S. taxes, such as social security and federal obligations.

    If the J-1 visa holder loses or changes his status, your J2 Visa work permit will become invalid.

    Can you Study on a J2 Visa?

    As a general rule, foreign nationals who wish to study in the U.S. need to apply for an F1 Visa.

    However, J2 Visa holders may be allowed to enroll in academic programs either as recreational or degree-seeking students.

    If eligible, you can enroll in any academic program either on a full- or part-time basis and discontinue your studies at any time.

    If you have not completed your studies by the time that your status ends, you may submit a petition for a change to an F-1 student visa.

    To do this, however, you must first ensure that your current immigration status is not subject to the two-year home residence requirement.

    Advice Package icon

    Advice Package

    Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

    Application Package icon

    Application Package

    Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

    Fast Track Package icon

    Fast Track Package

    Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

    Appeal Package icon

    Appeal Package

    Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

    Advice Package image

    The Advice Package

    With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Request the Advice Package
      Application Package image

      The Application Package

      With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Application Package
        Fast Track Package image

        The Fast Track Package

        Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Fast Track Package
          Appeal Package image

          The Appeal Package

          By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Appeal Package

            Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Related pages for your continued reading.

              Frequently Asked Questions

              You are allowed to reside in the country as long as the principal J1 Visa holder benefits from his or her status.

              During your authorized stay, you can freely travel outside the U.S. without losing your nonimmigrant status. However, you are not allowed to enter the U.S. for the first time before the J1 applicant does.

              Since they are nonimmigrant permits, the J1/J2 Visas are not commonly contemplated as a path to the Green Card. However, you may have the basis to meet other visas’ requirements, and thus to change your status.

              As a no-dual intent permit, the idea behind the J1 status is that you must be ready to go back home at the end of your program. Typically, visa holders are also required to reside outside the U.S. for at least two years before they can apply for a new permit.

              For this reason, you must prove that your request for permanent residence is due to unexpected changes in your circumstances.

              The first step to take when seeking permanent residence is to change your status. Your lawyers can help you evaluate your options from one of the following choices:

              If you want to adjust your permit while in the U.S., the principal permit holder can apply for a J1 Visa Waiver. As a dependent, your status will also be altered.

              Once you have obtained your waiver, you can submit your new petition together with a proof of your J2 Visa Waiver. Based on your circumstances, the processing time for this transition may vary. You will also be asked to return to your home country for an interview with your local U.S. consulate.

              J2 Visa holder can freely travel outside the U.S. without being accompanied by their family. However, they are not allowed to enter the country in advance of the J1 Visa holder for the first time.

              It is essential to carry all your documents and any proof of your current immigration status any time you travel abroad if you intend to re-enter the U.S.

              Consulting an immigration attorney can make your J2 Visa petition easier and give you higher chances to get your permission.

              If you wish to transition to different immigration status, it is essential to choose the best path to follow. You must accurately complete your application forms, as often this will be your only opportunity to seek residence in the U.S.

              Our legal guidance includes:

              • Check if your details have been included in the main J1 Visa petition;
              • Confirming your eligibility for the J2 Visa;
              • Determine the right immigrant visa for you if you wish to adjust your status.

              You can arrange your first meeting with your immigration lawyers calling us or +1844 290 6312 or using our online contact form.