Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Non-EEA Family Reunification

If your family member who is an EU/EEA citizen is residing in Ireland, you might be able to join them in Ireland through non-EEA family reunification.

Call our lawyers today on +1 844 290 6312 for assistance with your application.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is non-EEA family reunification in Ireland?

    EU/EEA citizens who are exercising their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland, which means that they are living in Ireland long-term, have the right to bring certain family members to Ireland through non-EEA family reunification.

    The fact that EU/EEA citizens, as well as citizens of Switzerland, enjoy EU Treaty Rights means that they are able to travel freely between EU/EEA countries and can move to an EU/EEA member state without having to meet any specific requirements or apply for a visa. Initially, they have the right to stay in an EU/EEA country such as Ireland for up to 90 days. After that, they can decide to exercise their EU Treaty Rights in the country and remain there longer.

    Those who exercise their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland have the right to be joined by their family members even if they are not EU/EEA nationals themselves. To be able to reside in Ireland, however, non-EEA family members have to apply for a residence card from Irish immigration authorities. If they are coming from a visa-required country, they also have to obtain an Irish visa.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Who can join their family members through non-EEA family reunification?

    To be able to apply for a residence card as a family member of an EU/EEA national exercising their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland, non-EEA citizens have to be either a qualifying family member of an EEA national or their permitted family member.

    Qualifying family members of EU/EEA nationals are:

    • A spouse or civil partner
    • Children or a spouse’s children under the age of 21
    • Grandchildren or a spouse’s grandchildren under the age of 21
    • Parents or a spouse’s parents
    • Grandparents or grandparents of a spouse

    Permitted family members of EU/EEA nationals are:

    • De-facto partners
    • Dependents who require long-term personal care because of illness or disability
    • Relatives who are a part of their household but are not qualifying family members

    For non-EEA family members to be able to apply for a residence card, the EU/EEA national exercising their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland has to be employed, self-employed, or be living in Ireland with enough money to support themselves and their family.

    grandparent and child walking in park
    family sitting together

    Family Reunification For Irish Citizens/ Permanent Residents

    Citizens and permanent residents in Ireland who would like to apply for family reunification for dependent family members (who are not from the EU/EEA) will have to meet the qualifying requirements set forth in the policies outlined in the Non-EEA Policy Document of Family Reunification. The automatic right of reunification will not be granted.

    For Irish permanent residents, the eligibility to bring family members to Ireland will be dependent upon the type of residence permit the permanent resident sponsor holds. For more information regarding eligibility, consult with an experienced Irish immigration attorney who can provide you with detailed information.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on your family reunification case.. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      How to apply for non-EEA family reunification in Ireland?

      Non-EEA citizens who want to join their family members exercising EU Treaty Rights in Ireland have to apply for residency permission in Ireland. To do that, qualifying family members have to complete Form EUTR1 and permitted family members Form EUTR1A.

      Prior to arriving in Ireland, they need to apply for an entry visa to Ireland. They should apply for one of the Long Stay ‘D’ Visas to Ireland to be able to remain in the country for longer than 3 months. Get in touch with our lawyers and they will tell you in detail which Irish visa they should apply for.

      As part of the application process for residency permission in Ireland, they have to submit a number of supporting documents that confirm their family relationship with the immediate family member residing in Ireland.

      After a non-EEA citizen arrives in Ireland to join their loved one, they have to register at an immigration office to get official permission to remain in Ireland for longer than 3 months. When they complete the registration, they will be issued an Irish Residence Permit that confirms their right to live in Ireland. The fee for getting the Irish Residence Permit is 300€.

      What supporting documents are required?

      The exact documents the non-EEA person wanting to come to Ireland through non-EEA family reunification has to submit might vary depending on the individual circumstances of each applicant. Nevertheless evidence that all non-EEA citizens have to provide includes:

      • Signed and dated application summary sheet displayed after submitting the application for an Irish visa
      • Two passport-sized photographs in color
      • Valid passport
      • Proof that the family member living in Ireland is an EU/EEA citizen
      • Evidence confirming the claimed relationship to the person living in Ireland
      • Evidence of finances theirs and those of their dependent family members
      • Proof of having private medical and travel insurance
      • Details of any previous visa refusals

      All supporting documents have to be originals as photocopies will not be accepted. Moreover, all documents that were issued in a language other than English or Irish need to be translated by an official translator.

      If you have any questions about your Irish immigration case, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        How can IAS help?

        At IAS, we have a team of dedicated immigration lawyers who are committed to helping clients navigate their way through the Irish immigration system. We offer the highest quality services tailored to the individual needs and goals of each client.

        Family reunification cases can be complex but by hiring an immigration lawyer, you can make the process as straightforward and stress-free as possible.

        If you hire one of our lawyers, they will guide you through each step of the process, from submitting your Irish visa application to getting your Irish Residence Permit. They will help you gather extensive evidence that proves your relationship with the person exercising their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland, and will answer any questions you might have.

        Give us a call on +1 844 290 6312 to find out more about how our team can help.

        family on the beach
        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Citizens of EU/EEA countries have the right to come to Ireland for tourism, as well as to work or study without having to obtain a visa. They can stay there for up to 3 months visa-free. After this period they can exercise their EU Treaty Rights there and stay longer. To do that, they need to prove that they engage in one of the following activities in Ireland:

                  • They work full-time or part-time
                  • They study at an Irish academic institution
                  • They are self-employed in Ireland
                  • They are enrolled in a vocational training
                  • They have enough money to be self-sufficient

                  If you decide to exercise your EU Treaty Rights in Ireland, there is no limit on how long you are allowed to stay in the country.

                  Non-EEA citizens coming to Ireland through non-EEA family reunification need to apply for residency permits and pay a fee of €300 for obtaining their Irish Residence Permit, which is a plastic card confirming their right to reside in Ireland.

                  This fee can be waived in the following circumstances:

                  • The non-EEA citizen is currently living in Ireland with refugee status
                  • The non-EEA citizen has subsidiary protection status in Ireland
                  • The non-EEA citizen is younger than 18 years of age
                  • The non-EEA citizen is married to an Irish citizen
                  • The non-EEA citizen is a family member of an EU citizen

                  How long you will have to wait to hear the decision regarding your Irish residence card application depends on how complex your case is. Visa applications are processed in chronological order so the waiting time also depends on how many people are applying at the same time as you.

                  Typically, you should hear back from the EU Treaty Rights Division within 6 months. Once they review your application and documents accompanying it, you will receive a letter by post.

                  While you are waiting for the decision, you can send an email to the EU Treaty Rights Division and ask for an update. Make sure to include your Application ID number and your Person ID number in the message.

                  EU Treaty Rights are rights granted to citizens of EU/EEA member states and citizens of Switzerland. They allow them to travel freely between countries that belong to the EU/EEA. They also give them the right to move to an EU/EEA country to work or study without having to go through a visa application process.

                  Ireland belongs to the EU so, thanks to EU Treaty Rights, EU/EEA citizens and citizens of Switzerland who want to immigrate to Ireland can do so without having to meet any specific requirements.

                  At first, they can spend up to 90 days in Ireland visa-free but they can then decide to exercise their EU Treaty Rights there and remain in the country longer. In fact, there are no limits regarding how long those exercising their EU Treaty Rights in an EU/EEA member state can stay.