U.S. Visas for Temporary Visitors

If you wish to travel temporarily to the U.S. for both leisure and business purposes, you can apply for a Visitor Visa. These are nonimmigrant permits that allow you to spend some time in the country with nonimmigrant intents.

To apply, you must submit a DS-160 Form and attend an interview with a consulate officer.

There are three different categories of Visitor Visa:

  • B-1 Business Visitor Visa. You can use this permit to attend business conventions, negotiate a contract or consult with your associates;
  • B2 Visa Pleasure Visitor Visa. This permit allows you to visit your friends or relatives in the U.S. or to seek medical treatment. You can also participate in social events, amateur contests, or enroll in short recreational courses of study.
  • B-1/B-2 Visa, for a combination of both these purposes.

It is worth noting that travelers entering the U.S. for no more than 90 days and coming from qualified countries may be able to travel without a visa. Currently, 38 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program. To be eligible, you must be a national of one of them.

You can apply for a B-2 Visa if you wish to seek medical treatment. You must demonstrate that you do not intend to rely on the U.S. welfare and that the treatment is not available in your country. You also need a written statement from a U.S.-based doctor who accepts you as a patient.

Which Visitor Visa do you need?

B1 Visa: Business Visitors B2 Visa: Tourist Visitor