Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

O3 Visa (Dependents of O Visas)

Get in touch with our immigration attorneys to find out how we can help you and your family enter the U.S.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the O3 Dependent Visa?

    The O3 Visa is one of the three permits in the O tier, which includes:

    In other words, with this visa, your family can either accompany you in the U.S. or visit you for a fixed period of time. While in the U.S. on an O3 Visa, eligible applicants can seek an adjustment of status and obtain a different permit to stay in the country to work or study.

    To get in touch with our staff and discuss your case with one of our experts, you can call us on +1 844 290 6312 or use our online contact form.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What is the O3 Dependent Visa?

    The O3 Visa is a non-immigrant permit designed for the dependent spouses and children of O1 Visa holders. It is also suitable for families of O2 Visa holders.

    Holding an O3 Visa means that your eligible family members will be allowed to reside in the U.S. as well as engage in full-time study. However, they cannot seek employment.

    Furthermore, they cannot stay in the U.S. longer than the principal O1 or O2 Visa holder, which is three years. However, they can apply for an adjustment of status to remain in the U.S. longer under a different permit.

    What are the requirements for an O3 Visa?

    To qualify for this permit, you must meet the following O3 Visa requirements:

    • Be the immediate family member of an O1 or O2 Visa applicant or holder. This means that only dependent spouses or unmarried children under the age of 21 can apply for this permit. If you do not meet this requirement, you may still be eligible for a visa. Differently, you can enter the U.S. under a Visitor Visa
    • Be able to prove your kinship with a main O Visa holder through valid marriage or birth certificates or adoption documents
    • Do not hold any criminal record

    What is the O-3 Visa application process?

    You can apply for an O3 Visa only when the primary O1 or O2 petition has been approved. At this point, you can file a Form I-129. However, if your family is already in the U.S. on a different visa and wishes to changes its status to an O3 Visa, you must file a Form I-539.

    When your I-129 petition is approved, you can file your application form. Your O3 Visa application process will start only after you have paid your non-refundable petition fees. In some instances, you may be asked to pay an additional reciprocity fee, depending on your country of origin.

    Before your visa is issued, you will be summoned for an interview at your local U.S. Consulate. Although this may not take more than a few minutes, it is one of the most critical steps of your O3 Visa application process. You need to show to the Consular officer that your relationship with the O1/O2 Visa holder is genuine and that you have non-immigrant intent. If you hold additional evidence that you believe may be useful to prove your eligibility, you should bring them with you at your interview.

    What are the required O3 Visa documents?

    When you apply for an O3 Visa, you must submit the following documents:

    • A copy of the Approval Notice of the main O1 or O2 Visa
    • A signed Form I-129 (Petition for a Non-immigrant Worker)
    • Birth or marriage certificates to prove your relationship with the main O Visa holder
    • Proof of your financial situation to show that you can sustain yourself
    • Any other document that you believe can support your eligibility

    If any of your evidence is not written in English, you will need an accredited translation.

    Please note that failing to provide any of these documents will result in your application being delayed or rejected.

    How long is the O3 Visa valid?

    As a dependent visa, the O3 permit is tied to the principal visa holder, which can either by an O1 or an O2 immigrant. Those visas are usually valid for up to 3 years, and the same validity applies to the O3 Visa.

    If the principal visa holder applies for an extension, dependents can do the same by filing Form I-159 (Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status). Visa renewals are usually granted in one-year increments, and there is no limit to the number of extensions you can apply for.

    Can I switch my status from a O3 Visa into a Green Card?

    The O3 Visa is a non-immigrant permit that cannot lead to a Green Card. When the main O Visa expires, or after three years of maximum stay in the U.S., you will need to leave the country.

    However, while in the U.S., you can still seek an adjustment of status. In other words, you can use your time in the country to find an employer or an educational institution to sponsor your immigrant permit. It must be noted that you are in no circumstances allowed to work in the U.S. while on an O3 Visa. You will be able to seek employment only after you get a Work Visa.

    Advice Package icon

    Advice Package

    Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

    Application Package icon

    Application Package

    Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

    Fast Track Package icon

    Fast Track Package

    Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

    Appeal Package icon

    Appeal Package

    Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

    Advice Package image

    The Advice Package

    With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Request the Advice Package
      Application Package image

      The Application Package

      With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Application Package
        Fast Track Package image

        The Fast Track Package

        Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Fast Track Package
          Appeal Package image

          The Appeal Package

          By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Appeal Package

            Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Related pages for your continued reading.

              Frequently Asked Questions

              The O3 Visa processing time usually takes between 6 weeks to 3 months. However, if any supporting documents are missing for either the O3 Visa or the main O Visa petition, the USCIS may need more time to review your case.

              Your O3 Dependent Visa is usually granted for the same period of which the corresponding O1 or O2 Visa is valid.

              Extraordinary Ability permit holders may obtain extensions to their stay in increments of one year, for a total of three years. In this case, eligible O3 Visa holders may get the same allowance.

              At IAS, our attorneys are passionate about helping foreign workers with particular expertise enter the U.S. Most importantly, we want to assist their families, joining them in the U.S.

              If you wish to apply for an O3 Visa, one of our dedicated immigration lawyers will be happy to handle all aspect of your application process. This includes:

              • Review your eligibility based on your personal circumstances;
              • Help you gather the adequate supporting documents to show your kinship with the main O Visa holder;
              • Liaison with the USCIS in the case of delays in your application process.

              We can also offer guidance for the O1 or O2 Visa application process as well. To learn more about our services tailored to foreign workers who wish to travel to the U.S. with their family, get in touch today with our staff. You can call us on +1844 290 6312 or inquiry online.