What is a K-2 Visa?
If you are a K-1 Fiancé Visa beneficiary, you may be allowed to bring your dependent children with you to the U.S. For this, you will need a K-2 Visa, also known as K2 Visa, which allows your children to stay in the U.S. for two years, or until they reach the age of 21.
Your children may either immigrate at the same time as you or join you up to one year after your K-1 Visa has been issued.
Get in touch with our immigration attorney to find out how we can help you and your children secure a K2 Visa.
K2 Dependent Visa requirements
To be granted these benefits, your children must meet the following K2 Visa requirements:
- Be under the age of 21;
- Be unmarried;
- Their relationship with the step-parent must be created before they reach the age of 18;
- They must undergo a medical examination;
Your children are not obligated to follow you in the U.S. immediately. However, if they bypass the one-year limit required by the law, they must apply for a new separate immigrant visa petition. Upon their arrival in the U.S., they will be able to seek permanent residence by filling out an I-485 Application Form.
How to apply for a K2 Visa
Usually, if you hold a K-1 visa, your children may automatically receive a derivative K-2 visa from your petition. If you are applying for a K-1 Visa, you must include the names of your children in your I-129F petition. If your children are over the age of 21 or married, you will not be allowed to include them in your petition. They will be required to apply for a different non-immigrant visa.
The U.S. Consulate and your home country embassy will require all K2 requiring children over the age of 14 to attend an interview. The applying parent will need to participate in this interview as well. This might also include some questions that can help verify if the relationship between the applicant and the U.S. citizen is genuine.
If you and your partner are already married, you must file an application form for K4 Visa to seek your children’s admission in the U.S. To be eligible, you must submit your request along with your K3 Visa application.
What documents are required for a K2 Visa?
When applying for a K2 Visa, you are required to produce the following documents to demonstrate your eligibility:
- Your Form DS-160 (which must be submitted online);
- Your passport or any other valid identification document;
- Your birth certificate;
- Affidavit of Support and sponsor documents;
- Result of medical examination from an accredited physician.
What are the K-2 Visa fees?
Most of the costs usually attached to a K-2 application are the same as the ones you will be asked to pay when applying for a K-1 visa.
- Form I-129 filing fee: $535;
- A possible biometric fee: $85;
- Fee for the embassy: $265 (may vary based on your home country).
How long does a K2 Dependents Visa last?
The K2 Visa is a non-immigrant permit that lets your children live in the U.S. for a maximum of 90 days. If the marriage between the US parent and the foreign fiancé(e) does not take place during this period, your children must live the country within 30 days.
Can I extend my K-2 Visa?
Unfortunately, the K-2 Visa cannot be extended. At the end of your 90-day period, you must leave the U.S. within 30 days if your parent did not get married. Besides, you cannot apply to change your immigration status while in the U.S. on this dependent permit.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
- .If your children are eligible, their visa will be approved at the same time as your K-1 Visa;
- Your children can reside in the U.S. with their parents while waiting for their marriage to take place;
- Your children are allowed to study and apply for Employment Authorization I-765;
- Once you are married, your children can apply for permanent residence in the U.S.
Any K-2 visa that you have requested for your eligible children will be released at the same time as your K-1 Visa.
However, it may take between 4 to 6 months to process the I-129 Form and then grant your visa.
Your IAS immigration lawyer will advise you on how to fill a K-2 Visa application form. Your lawyer will:
- Check if you and your partner meet the income requirements;
- Check if your children are eligible;
- Help you fill in a comprehensive portfolio to support your application;
- Check if you need a translated of any document that is not written in English;
- Help you go through the K-2 Visa process;
- Complete your application form in full to the highest standard.
Contact IAS today for a free consultation. Call +1844 290 6312 or enquire online. One of our immigration lawyers will be happy to discuss your situation.