USA and the UK
What is an L-2 Visa?
If one of your relatives is in the U.S. under an L1 Intra-Company Visa, you can join him or her by applying for an L2 Visa.
This is a nonimmigrant permit issued to eligible dependents of foreign workers employed in the U.S.
Under the U.S. immigration law, eligible family members include spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21.
What are the L2 Visa requirements?
The L2 Visa is designed for dependents of L1 Visa holders. The Intra-company Visa is usually issued to foreign specialized workers who are going to be employed in a branch of their company in the U.S.
If one of your relatives is currently in the U.S. under this permit, you can apply for an L2 Visa. However, only immediate family is eligible. This means that you must be:
- The spouse of an L1 Visa holder;
- The unmarried child under the age of 21 of a foreign specialized worker.
If you do not fall into one of those categories, you may still enter the U.S. to visit your family. For example, you can apply for a Tourist Visa B2.
What are the required L2 Visa documents?
To apply for an L2 Visa, you can file your form either together with the principal L1 Visa petition or at a later time. In either case, you must submit certain documents to support your application and prove your eligibility.
- A valid passport for each applicant (if you are traveling with your children);
- One photograph of each applicant, showing the full face. It must comply with the guidelines required by your local U.S. consulate;
- An original birth certificate of every applicant under the age of 14;
- An original marriage certificate (if you are the dependent spouse of an L visa holder);
- A copy of the main approved L petition.
How can I get an L2 Visa work permit?
Dependents spouse of L1 Visa holders can live and work in the U.S. on the L2 status. However, before you can seek employment, you need to apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). By doing this, you can get a Social Security Number, that is a mandatory requirement to work in the U.S.
Once you get your EAD, you will be able to apply for part-time or full-time jobs at any U.S. business. However, your EAD card is only valid for two years. You can still apply for a renewal, as long as you maintain your L2 Visa status.
To be eligible for this visa, eligible children must under the age of 21. Consequently, they will not be allowed to apply for EAD nor seek employment in the U.S.
What is the L-2 Visa validity?
Your L2 Visa validity is the same as the principal L1 Intra-company Visa. In other words, you can stay in the U.S. for as long as your relative holds a valid permit.
As a general rule, an L1 visa is valid for up to three years. It can then be extended to a maximum of five years.
After this period, the visa holder needs to spend at least one year outside the U.S. before he can apply for a new visa. The same conditions apply for dependents who hold an L2 Visa.
If you wish to spend more time in the U.S., you may apply for a different permit while your current visa is still valid.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
Once you get your L2 Visa, you can join your family in the U.S. In addition, you can legally:
- Attend school in the U.S.;
- Work either part of full-time. This will be possible only after obtaining an L2 Visa work permit, or EAD;
- Open a bank account;
- Apply for another nonimmigrant visa category;
- Seek an adjustment of status ad get an immigrant permit (Green Card);
- Travel freely within and outside the U.S.
If you wish to get more benefits and settle in the U.S., you will need to adjust your status and petition for a different visa once in the country.
There are some additional L2 Visa documents that you may wish to attach to your application form. For example, you may also submit to the USCIS:
- Your wedding photo album or other pictures of time that you spent together as a couple;
- A letter from the main L visa’s sponsor that described the relationship between the principal applicant and his or her dependents;
- A copy of your tax return to disclose your financial situation and prove that you can sustain yourself.
Yes, L-2 Visa holders are allowed to attend school in the U.S. either part-time or full-time.
To file a successful application, you must submit a comprehensive portfolio. It is crucial to demonstrate your kinship with the main L visa holder to get your permit to enter the U.S.
To remove the stress from your L2 Visa application process, you can entrust your case with one of IAS’ immigration expert. You will be paired with one of our best attorneys, who will:
- Review your case and check your eligibility;
- Prepare a Letter of Representation to highlight the merits of your application;
- Liaise with the USCIS;
- Liaise with your U.S. sponsor and gather the necessary documents from your company;
- Support you and your beloved ones through the entire L2 application process.
Call us today to speak with one of our immigration experts and learn more about our services.