Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Long Stay ‘D' Visas Ireland

If you want to come to Ireland and stay there for longer than 3 months, you will have to obtain a Long Stay ‘D’ Visa.

Call us today at +1 844 290 6312 for expert legal advice and assistance with your visa application.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Long Stay Visa?

    Long Stay Visas are intended for non-EEA citizens who want to spend more than 90 days in Ireland. You have to apply for it if, for example, you want to come to Ireland to study, work, or join a family member.

    If your application for a Long Stay Visa is successful, you will have to register at an immigration office and obtain an Irish Residence Permit, which confirms your status in Ireland.

    There are several visas that fall under the Ireland Long Stay D type Visa category. Our lawyers can assess your circumstances and tell you which one you should apply for.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What types of Long Stay Visas are there?

    Depending on the reason for your journey to Ireland, you might be able to apply for one of the following long-stay visas:

    Each of these visas comes with slightly different criteria. Our lawyers can help you determine whether you are eligible.

    Keep in mind that only non-EEA citizens need a visa to come to Ireland. If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you do not have to apply for a visa prior to arriving in Ireland. All you need to do is show your national ID or passport to confirm your identity when arriving in Ireland. Generally, you can stay in the country for up to 3 months without a visa. Nevertheless, if after this time you can prove that you are studying or working in Ireland, you will be able to stay longer.

    How can I come to Ireland to work?

    If you would like to come to Ireland to work, you need to apply for an Irish Work Visa. First, however, you have to obtain an employment permit. Depending on your qualifications and field of expertise, you might be eligible for one of the following permits:

    • General Employment Permit
    • Critical Skills Employment Permit
    • Contract for Services Employment Permit
    • Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permit
    • Reactivation Employment Permit
    • Internship Employment Permit
    • Sport & Cultural Employment Permit
    • Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit
    • Exchange Agreement Employment Permit.

    Only after you have successfully applied for an employment permit can you submit your application for the Irish Work Visa, which is another type of Ireland Long Stay Visa.

    To be able to obtain this Irish Work Visa, you have to have a job offer from an Irish employer who is in Ireland at the time of submitting your visa application. You also have to meet certain visa requirements regarding your salary.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your Irish visa application. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How can I come to Ireland to join family members?

      If you have family members who are Irish citizens or foreign nationals who are lawfully residing in Ireland, you might be eligible for the Join Family Long Stay Visa. If your visa application is successful, you will have the right to come to Ireland to join them and stay there for more than 3 months.

      Depending on the type of your relationship with the person in Ireland, there are several routes that you can venture down when applying for an Irish Family Visa. These are:

      • Spouse/Civil Partner Visa
      • De Facto Partner Visa
      • Adult Dependent Visa
      • Child Dependent Visa
      • Dependent of a Critical Skills Employment Permit Holder Visa.

      As part of the visa application process, you will have to submit documents proving your relationship with your family member in Ireland. If your application is successful you will be able to stay in Ireland for more than 3 months where you will be able to study or work there.

      How can I come to Ireland to study?

      If you are thinking of coming to Ireland as an international student to complete a long-term study program, you should apply for the Irish Study Visa, which is another type of Ireland Long Stay Visa.

      To be eligible for the Irish Study Visa, at the time of applying, you have to be enrolled in a full-time study course featured on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes published by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service.

      Sometimes, if your study program in Ireland lasts one semester or less, the Short Stay ‘C’ Visa might be a better choice. Our lawyers can take a look at your chosen course in Ireland and advise you on whether a Short Stay Visa is enough, or whether you need to obtain the Ireland Long Stay Visa.

      Irish city skyline

      How do you apply for a Long Stay Visa?

      Long Stay Visa applications are first submitted online through the Online Irish Visa Application Service (AVATS). After completing the initial application online, you will be shown a summary form which you will need to print out and keep for later use.

      You must submit this form along with some additional supporting documents to the designated visa application office. The required accompanying documents must be submitted within 30 days of submission of your online AVATS application. The designated office could be an international visa application agency, the Dublin office, or a local Irish Embassy or Consulate in the applicant’s country of residence.

      If approved, the applicant can then travel to Ireland. Once at Border Control, the applicant must request permission to stay. To do this, the applicant must submit their visa, passport (or another valid travel document), along with any relevant documents to the immigration officer at Border Control for inspection.

      If approved by the immigration officer, the applicant will receive a stamp in their passport that details the number of stays in which the passport holder can stay in Ireland. Once in Ireland and past Border Control, the applicant will then need to register with a local immigration office and apply for an Irish residence permit before their stay expires. Appointments for registration at the immigration office can be made up to 10 weeks in advance.

      What documents are required for a Long Stay Visa?

      Specific documents will need to be submitted depending on the type of Ireland Long Stay Visa you will be applying for. However, most visa applications will require the following documents:

      • Signed online visa application form summary
      • A valid passport
      • Two passport-sized photographs that meet Irish visa standards
      • Copies of your previous passports, if available
      • Details of previous visa refusals (if applicable)
      • An application letter stating your reason for visiting Ireland and other information that is specific to your visa category
      • Proof of sufficient funds
      • Proof of medical insurance or another insurance policy covering expenses due to illness or injury whilst in Ireland

      All documents submitted must be in their original form. Any documents not in English or Irish will need to be accompanied by certified translations.

      If you have any questions about your Irish visa application, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        What is the waiting time and how much does the Long Stay Visa cost?

        On average, applications for Long Stay Visas are processed within 8 weeks. Nevertheless, applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis so the waiting time can vary depending on the complexity of your situation.

        You also have to be aware of the fact that the processing of applications for the Join Family Visa tends to take longer, usually between 6-12 months. Of course, more complicated applications can take up to a year to process.

        If you fail to provide some of the required documents, if you make mistakes in your application or if the immigration office request additional documents, then the processing can be delayed. That is why it is advisable to hire an immigration lawyer who can make sure your application is complete.

        As for the cost of your Long Stay ‘D’ Visa, a single entry permit costs €60, and a multiple entry visa costs €100. You have to pay this visa fee before you send your supporting documents for processing and you need to include the receipt in your portfolio of evidence. This visa fee is non-refundable so you will not get your money back even if your application is rejected or withdrawn.

        How can IAS help?

        At IAS, we have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can help you ensure that your application has been completed to the highest standard. Thanks to their professional assistance, you can maximize the chances of your application being approved.

        Our lawyers understand that each case is different so they will assess your individual circumstances and help you choose the right type of the Long Stay ‘D’ Visas to Ireland.

        Hiring a lawyer can help you make sure that your application form is completed to the highest standard with no additional requests for missing information.

        Call us today at +1 844 290 6312 to find out more about how our lawyers can help.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Generally speaking, the Long Stay ‘D’ Visa allows foreign citizens to stay in Ireland for more than 3 months. The exact validity of it differs depending on the type of activity you will be engaging in once in Ireland. For example, if you obtain the Long Stay Student Visa, you will have the right to remain in Ireland for as long as your study course lasts. If, however, you are coming to Ireland on the Join Family Visa to live with a family member, you will receive Stamp 4, allowing you to remain in Ireland for 5 years first and then to renew your status.

                  The UK and Ireland signed a special agreement known as the Common Travel Area. Thanks to that, UK citizens can come to Ireland and enjoy rights similar to those of Irish citizens. That means that as a UK citizen you can come to Ireland and stay there as long as you wish without having to obtain an Irish visa. While in Ireland you have the right to work or study without any special permits. The same applies to Irish citizens who want to go to the UK.

                  If you come to Ireland on the Long Stay Student Visa, you will be allowed to engage in casual employment alongside your studies. That means that during term time you can work for up to 20 hours per week and during holidays for up to 40 hours per week. Keep in mind that as soon as your Student Visa expires you will lose the right to legally work in Ireland. If you would like to keep working you will need to apply for an employment permit.

                  Short Stay ‘C’ Visas allow foreign citizens to come to Ireland for a period of up to 90 days. There are many kinds of Short Stay ‘C’ Visas to Ireland. Some of the main ones are:

                  Talk to our lawyers about why you want to travel to Ireland and they will help you find the right visa.

                  If you are a national from a non-EU/EEA country who requires a visa to enter Ireland, you will probably need to apply for and receive a Schengen visa to travel to the Schengen Area of Europe as Ireland is not a part of the Schengen agreement.