Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Irish Immigration Stamps

Those who come to Ireland for a period longer than 3 months will need to register and receive a stamp on their passport, which indicates how long they can remain in the country and what their rights are.

To receive assistance with applying for an Irish visa, call our lawyers at +1 844 290 6312.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What are the Irish Immigration Stamps?

    Non-EEA nationals who want to come to Ireland have to apply for a visa before they arrive. As a citizen of a non-EEA country, there are many Irish Visas you can choose from, depending on the purpose of your journey to Ireland.

    If you intend to stay in the country for less than 90 days, you should apply for a Short Stay ‘C’ Visa. If, however, you plan on remaining in Ireland for more than 3 months, you need to obtain a Long Stay ‘D’ Visa.

    Those coming to Ireland on a Long Stay ‘D’ Visa have to obtain immigration permission. If your application for it is successful, your passport will be stamped. The Irish Immigration Stamp you will get depends on the purpose of your coming to Ireland and it indicates what you are allowed and not allowed to do while in Ireland and how long you can stay.

    Keep in mind that even if you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you still need to register if you plan on remaining in Ireland longer than 90 days.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What Irish Immigration Stamps are there?

    After you register at the registration office, you will receive one of the following Irish Immigration Stamps:

    • Stamp 0
    • Stamp 1
    • Stamp 1A
    • Stamp 1G
    • Stamp 2
    • Stamp 2A
    • Stamp 3
    • Stamp 4
    • Stamp 5
    • Stamp 6

    You should familiarise yourself with the conditions of your stamp in Ireland to avoid accidentally breaching them. The failure to do so could lead to you overstaying your visa and consequently facing deportation.

    Our lawyers can help you understand what your Irish Immigration Stamp means and tell you in detail what activities you have the right to engage in while in Ireland.

    What Stamp do those joining an Irish family member get?

    Stamp 4 is a very sought-after stamp as it counts towards reckonable residence when applying for Irish citizenship in the future. Moreover, its holders have the right to work in Ireland without having to obtain an employment permit and can access state funds and services.

    This Irish Immigration Stamp is granted to the following categories of applicants:

    • Those coming to Ireland to join their spouse, civil partner, or de-facto partner
    • Those joining their minor child who is an Irish citizen
    • Those joining a family member who has refugee status in Ireland
    • Those coming to join a family member who is an EU/EEA citizen and is exercising their EU Treaty Rights in Ireland
    • Those who received permission to stay in Ireland under the Investor and Entrepreneur Programme
    • Those who are dependents of Irish Permanent Residence holders

    So, if you have an Irish family member and your application for the Join Family Long Stay ‘D’ Visa is approved, you will most likely receive Stamp 4.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your Irish visa. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What are Stamps 1, 1A, and 1G?

      Stamp 1 is given to those who come to Ireland temporarily to operate a business in Ireland. You might also be given Stamp 1 if you are coming to Ireland on Working Holiday Authorization. The holders of Stamp 1 cannot seek regular employment in Ireland.

      If the purpose of your coming to Ireland is to take part in a full–time, paid accountancy training that lasts for a certain, specific period of time, you will receive Stamp 1A. It is worth noting that Stamp 1A does not allow you to engage in any other type of business.

      Stamp 1G can be given to:

      • Individuals who graduated from a level 8 course or higher and who now want to find employment in Ireland
      • The spouse/de facto partner of either a Critical Skills Employment Permit holder or Researcher who is in Ireland under Hosting Agreement permission.

      Holders of Stamp 1G can look for a job in Ireland and work for up to 40 hours a week or engage in a course of study without the need for an employment permit or student visa. However, Stamp 1G holders cannot be self-employed or start their own business.

      Those who spent time in Ireland under Stamp 1G and would like to naturalize as an Irish citizen can use their period of stay toward reckonable residence in their Citizenship application.

      What are Stamps 2 and 2A?

      Stamp 2 will be given to international students who are in Ireland to study at a full-time course on the official Interim List of Eligible Programmes (IELP). Those who are in Ireland under a Stamp 2 can not receive any state benefits or use publicly funded services so they must have private medical insurance. This period of stay under a Stamp 2 can not be used for reckonable residence in future Irish naturalization applications.

      You may receive a Stamp 2A under the following circumstances:

      • You are an international student who is in Ireland studying in a course that is not on the ILEP (such as a semester abroad or a private secondary school)
      • You are the spouse of an international student who is studying in Ireland and who is fully financially self-sufficient

      Those under Stamp 2A can not work while in Ireland, receive state benefits, use publicly funded services, or engage in any other business, trade, or profession.

      third level graduate programme

      Stamps 3 and 4

      Stamp 3 can be given to the following individuals:

      • Volunteers who are in Ireland to work for an approved charity or non-profit organization
      • Ministers of Religion
      • Those who are joining their non-EEA/EU/Swiss family member who is in Ireland under an Irish work permit

      Keep in mind that Stamp 3 does not allow you to work in Ireland or engage in business activities unless you have obtained a work permit from the Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment (DETE).

      Stamp 4 can be given to individuals who have permission to:

      • Work in Ireland under a valid Critical skills employment permit for at least 2 years
      • Work with a valid employment permit in Ireland for at least 5 years
      • Work as a researcher with Hosting Agreement permission in Ireland for at least 2 years
      • Join your Irish citizen spouse, civil partner or de-factor partner in Ireland
      • Live in Ireland as a convention or programme refugee, or have been granted permission based on subsidiary protection
      • Join your family member in Ireland who is a recognized refugee or has been granted subsidiary protection
      • Remain with your Irish citizen child
      • To enter Ireland and live under the Investor and Entrepreneur Programme (including spouse/partner & eligible family member)
      • To live in Ireland for long term residence

      Individuals who are in Ireland with Stamp 4 are permitted to do the following:

      • Legally work in Ireland without an employment permit
      • Start and operate a business in Ireland
      • Access state funds and services (as determined by Government departments or agencies)

      It should be noted that Irish residence under a Stamp 4 can be used towards reckonable residence in future Irish citizenship applications. Those who wish to stay in Ireland past the expiry date of their immigration permission will need to apply for renewal before their visa expires.

      casual employment

      If you have any questions about your Irish immigration case, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        What are Stamps 5 and 6?

        Stamp 5 indicates that the non-EEA citizen has been granted permission to stay in Ireland without any time restrictions. Stamp 5 is granted to those who have lived in Ireland for at least 8 years of legal residency. Stamp 5 is valid for as long as the foreign citizen’s passport is valid and it counts towards reckonable residence when applying for Irish citizenship.

        Stamp 6, on the other hand, is granted to those who became Irish citizens and now hold dual citizenship. It signifies that the person can remain in Ireland permanently and can live and work there without any restrictions. To be able to obtain Stamp 6, you have to have an Irish passport. For example, if you are a citizen of a foreign country but you have been living in Ireland with immigration permission for a certain qualifying period of time, you can apply for Irish citizenship by naturalization. Then, if your application is successful, you will hold citizenship in two countries and you will have Stamp 6 on your passport.

        How can IAS help?

        Each of the Irish Immigration Stamps comes with different rules so understanding what your rights are can be complex. Our lawyers can explain to you in detail what you can and cannot do in Ireland depending on which stamp you have received.

        For you to be able to receive an Irish Immigration Stamp, you have to go through the process of applying for a visa to Ireland. Talk to our lawyers about why you want to come to Ireland and they will tell you which Irish Visa you should apply for.

        Then, they will guide you through each step of the application process and will be around to answer all your questions. Thanks to the help of our highly qualified immigration experts, you can maximize the chances of your visa application being accepted.

        Call us today on +1 844 290 6312 to find out more about how we can help.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  Stamp 0 indicates that a foreign citizen has the right to stay in Ireland for a temporary period long as they meet certain conditions and have received permission from Immigration Service Delivery. The main requirement is that the person is financially self-sufficient and that they do not plan to receive any state services. Additionally, they have to have private medical insurance.

                  Examples of who can receive Stamp 0 include:

                  • Foreign citizens who are coming to Ireland to retire
                  • Those who are coming to Ireland to visit a university or college
                  • Those who are living in Ireland as dependents of Irish nationals

                  If you receive Stamp 0, you cannot work or engage in business in Ireland.

                  The Minister of Religion Visa is intended for non-EEA citizens who want to come to Ireland to work as Ministers of Religions for a religious body or a faith community for a period of up to 3 years. You should apply for this visa if you plan to come to Ireland to engage in some of the following activities:

                  • Conduct religious ceremonies
                  • Preach at an established congregation
                  • Run religious classes
                  • Organize prayer meetings
                  • Offer spiritual leadership and pastoral visits
                  • Offer administrative support to a religious institution or church
                  • Join a religious community where members take vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience

                  Our lawyers can assess your circumstances and help you determine whether you are eligible for the Minister of Religion Visa.

                  Irish Residence permits, formally known as a Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) card, is a certificate of registration that proves that a non-EU/EEA foreign national is allowed to stay in Ireland for periods longer than 90 days. Once in Ireland, non-EU/EEA nationals will need to register in person for their Irish residence permit at the nearest immigration registration office.