What is the M2 Visa?

The M2 Visa is a nonimmigrant permit that allows the dependent spouse and eligible children of M-1 Visa holders to enter the U.S.

On M2 Visa, eligible children can study in elementary or secondary school. Adults, such as dependent spouses, can study in a vocational or recreational school. However, they cannot seek admission to a U.S. university nor accept any form of employment.

It must be noted that only the unmarried children under the age of 21 and the dependent spouses of eligible applicants can get an M2 Visa. If you do not fall in any of these categories, you can still visit your relatives living in the U.S. on a B-2 Visitor permit.

Ask IAS for legal guidance

Obtaining the M2 Visa may be a relatively simple process once the main M1 Visa has been approved. However, you must prove your kinship with the principal Student Visa holder to get your status as an eligible family member.

To receive guidance in gathering the adequate documentation to support your petition, you can seek legal advice. IAS’ immigration lawyers are passionate about helping families live in the U.S.

Get in touch with our professional immigration experts to learn more about our M2 Visa application package. We will guide you through every step of your petition and offer reliable guidance to you and your family.


What are the M2 Visa requirements?

The M2 Visa is suitable for spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of M1 Visa holders. To qualify, you must:

  • Be the spouse (either the wife or the husband) of an M1 Visa holder;
  • Prove your intention to enter the U.S. only temporarily,
  • Demonstrate your kinship with the main M Visa applicant with valid documents.

What can I do on an M2 Visa status?

First, the M2 Visa is a nonimmigrant permit. This means it cannot be used to settle in the U.S., and it cannot lead in any way to a Permanent Resident Card. As a part of your application, you will be asked to provide proof of your intent to leave the U.S. when your visa expires.

In addition, under the M2 Visa status:

  • Adult dependents cannot engage in full-time education;
  • Children can only engage in full-time studies from kindergarten through twelfth grade.

However, there are no travel restrictions for M2 Dependent Visa holders. You and your children can leave and re-enter the U.S. as long as you maintain your status and hold a valid I-20 from your U.S. sponsor.

What is the M2 Visa application process?

Before you can apply for an M2 Dependent Visa, the main M petition must be approved. You can also file both applications at the same time.

To get your dependent visa, you must complete a Form DS-160 through the Department of State website.

Do not forget to submit your required M2 Visa application documents. This includes evidence of your eligibility, such as proofs of your kinship with the main M applicant. Along with your application form, the USCIS will also require the following documentation:

  • A completed and signed Form DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application);
  • Your passport, that must be valid for at least six months after the date you intend to enter the U.S.;
  • Any older passport or travel documents;
  • Marriage certificate (for eligible spouses);
  • Birth certificate or adoption records (for eligible children);
  • Copies of the passports of any minor children listed in the M2 Visa application;
  • Non-refundable application fee.

If you hold any other documentation that you believe can support your M2 Visa eligibility, you can add them to your portfolio.

How long can I stay in the U.S. on M2 Visa?

M2 Visa holders can stay in the U.S. as long as the main M1 applicant maintains valid status.

The M Visa is usually valid for one year, that is the period necessary to complete his or her course of study. However, it can be renewed up to a maximum of 3 years. In addition, the visa holder can remain for 30 more days after his or her permit’s expiration date in the U.S.

The same conditions apply to any eligible M2 Dependent Visa holder, as long as he or she maintains his or her lawful status.

Can I extend my stay on M2 Dependent Visa?

You may obtain an extension for your M2 Dependent Visa by submitting a Form I-539. This form is also known as the Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status. It must be submitted to the USCIS between 15 and 60 days before your visa expires.

Do you need help with your M2 Visa application?

The M2 Visa is a nonimmigrant permit intended to allows immediate relatives of M1 Visa holders to enter the U.S. with their families.

To be successful, your application must contain all the required supporting documents. The purpose is to demonstrate your kinship with the main M1 Visa applicants.

As a part of our M2 Visa application package, you will be paired with one of IAS’ best immigration lawyers. Your adviser will:

  • Assist you in getting your signed Form I-20 from an eligible school;
  • Build an extensive portfolio of supporting documents;
  • Liaise with the USCIS until your M2 Visa is issued;
  • Offer guidance if you need to extend your M2 Visa status;
  • Regularly check the status of your petition.

Call us on +1844 290 6312 or enquire online to learn more about our immigration services.

Remove the stress from the immigration process with our three-step approach

Our experienced immigration lawyers will remove the stress, whilst maximising your chances of a successful outcome.

Latest reviews


I was very satisfied they are very friendly


I was very satisfied they are very friendly

Communication was speedy, all staff I interacted with were friendly and professional. The appointment with Danielle Blake was informative and… Read More