Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Stamp 1 Ireland

Ireland is a European country with a rich culture and a thriving economy. What is more, many Americans have close connections to Ireland. As such, many American citizens choose to work or operate a business in Ireland.

If this applies to you and you have permission to work or run a business in Ireland, you are likely to need to register for a Stamp 1 with your local immigration office. Contact IAS today on +1 844 290 6312 to learn more.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is Stamp 1 in Ireland?

    If you have permission to live, work, or study in Ireland, you will need to register with the Irish immigration authorities for an immigration stamp.

    Ireland’s immigration authorities are known as Immigration Service Delivery (ISD). There are a number of different stamps which ISD grants and the one which is right for you will depend on your specific circumstances.

    Stamp 1 is one of the types of immigration permission granted by the Irish immigration authorities. It is intended to demonstrate when non-EU citizens have permission to work or operate a business within Ireland. If you are an American citizen, you will likely require the Irish Stamp 1 if you wish to work or operate a business in Ireland.

    Stamp 1 should not be confused with Stamp 1A, 1G, or 1H. These stamps all refer to different permissions which are held by the stamp holder. You can learn more about these different stamps in the FAQs of this article. However, Stamp 1 specifically may be granted if you satisfy one of the following criteria: have an employment permit in Ireland, operate an Irish business, or work in Ireland through the Working Holiday Authorization route. Whilst Stamp 1 is generally renewable, it cannot be renewed in the case of workers holding working holiday authorization.

    Possession of a Stamp 1 also provides a potential route to becoming an Irish citizen, after which you can apply for an Irish passport and gain European citizenship benefits.

    Note that European citizens do not require a Stamp 1 in order to live and work in Ireland.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Eligibility Requirements for Stamp 1 Ireland

    In order to be eligible for the Irish Stamp 1, you will need to satisfy one of the following conditions:

    • Possess an Irish employment permit
    • Possess a letter from Immigration Service Delivery (ISD) which states that you are authorized to work in Ireland without an employment permit

    Note that, if you wish to operate a business in Ireland, you will need to obtain a letter from ISD which states that you have permission to do so. In this case, you will not be able to engage in any business, trade, or profession unless your letter from ISD grants you this permission.

    If you are applying for a stamp other than Stamp 1, the eligibility requirements will be different. The stamp which is best for you will depend on your specific circumstances and your reasons for being in Ireland.

    Required Documents for Stamp 1

    When applying for an Irish Stamp 1, you will require the following documents:

    • A valid passport
    • Any additional relevant travel documents
    • Either a valid Employment Permit or a letter from the Irish Minister for Justice which grants you permission to work in Ireland
    • Proof of payment of the registration fee

    Note that the exact documents which are required may vary, depending on your specific circumstances. If you are applying for a different stamp, you will require different documentation.

    Stamp 1: How To Register

    Once you have received permission to work or operate a business within Ireland, you will then need to register this permission with ISD. This should be done within 90 days of permission being granted. To register, you will need to book an appointment with an immigration officer at an ISD registration location. These can be found in Dublin, Kildare, Meath, and Wicklow.

    In some cases, you may not be able to obtain an appointment within 90 days of receiving your permission. In the event that this happens, your permission to stay will not be revoked, but you will be expected to demonstrate that you attempted to register within 90 days but were unable to do so. If you are unable to demonstrate that you were unable to register within 90 days, your registration may be unsuccessful, in which case you will be expected to leave the country.

    Once you have registered successfully, you will then receive an Irish Residence Permit (IRP). Whilst this does not act as a valid ID card, it does provide evidence of your legal residence in Ireland. It should remain with the holder at all times.

    Cost of Application and Application Waiting Time

    The cost of applying for Stamp 1 is €300. There may also be other costs associated with your application, for example legal fees if you choose to receive legal assistance. Contact IAS today on +1 844 290 6312 to learn more.

    Regarding waiting time, you should generally be able to receive an appointment within 90 days. Your stamp will then be granted at your appointment, assuming that you successfully satisfy the eligibility criteria.

    Our team of legal experts can help you obtain an Stamp 1 Ireland. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How Can IAS Help?

      Ireland is a country with much to offer citizens of the US, including strong cultural ties, numerous areas of natural beauty, a strong economy, and easy travel access to the rest of the EU. Many American citizens choose to make the most of these benefits and to pursue work or business opportunities within Ireland.

      If you are working or operating a business in Ireland and you are an American citizen, it is likely that you will require a Stamp 1. However, the process of obtaining this stamp can be complicated. If you would like to receive further assistance with your application, or learn more about how Ireland’s immigration rules apply to you, contact IAS today on +1 844 290 6312. Our immigration experts have many years of experience advising on cases exactly like this and are ready to offer you bespoke legal advice.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                In order to obtain a Stamp 1, you will generally require a work permit. The main permits are as follows:

                • General Employment Permits
                • Internship
                • Critical Skills
                • Contract for Services
                • Dependent/Partner/Spouse
                • Exchange Agreement
                • Intra-Company Transfer
                • Sport and Culture

                Stamp 1H demonstrates permission for doctors with a 2-year General Employment Permit to work as a Non-Consultant Doctor. They can work for any public hospital or health care provider during this time. However, if there is a change in their workplace or contract, the Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment must be informed before the change takes place.

                Stamp 1G is for graduate students who have finished their studies and now have permission to seek employment within Ireland. It is only granted for 12 months, unless the holder has a Master’s degree, in which case an additional 12 months may also be granted.

                Stamp 1A is intended specifically for accountancy students who have full-time accountancy training contracts. The contract must offer paid accountancy training specifically. Note that, under this route, you can only work as a trainee accountant.

                You will also need to work for a firm which is registered with one of the following governing bodies:

                • The Institute of Certified Public Accountants Ireland (CPA)
                • The Association of Chartered Accountants Ireland (ACI)
                • The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants Ireland (ACCA)