The EEA Family Permit comes under EU law and is used to make traveling between EEA member states easier for non-EEA family members. You may be able to apply for an EEA Family Permit if a member of your family is currently resident in the UK.

While this is not technically a visa, the EEA Family Permit can help non-EEA nationals move to the UK to join their families. Non-EEA nationals may also be eligible for other types of UK visas which allow similar rights. However, the EEA Family Permit is often seen as easier to obtain. The Family Permit is often granted for up to six months. After this, you will be able to apply for an extension of up to five years. This will then mean you are eligible for ‘settled status’ and eventually British Citizenship.

Our team of lawyers are experts in European law and keep up to date through the continuing Brexit negotiations. By using our services, your lawyer will help you and your family assess your eligibility and devise a plan for your future. We will also take full responsibility for your application and complete the necessary forms for you. Call us on +1844 290 6312 or use our online contact form to discuss your family’s situation today.


Can I apply for an EEA Family Permit?

European law has a much wider definition of family than the UK currently operates. This includes spouses, civil partners, long-term partners where there is evidence of a ‘durable relationship’ and children.

Under European law, children applying to join a parent of EEA nationality can be up to 21 years of age rather than the UK limit of 18. The Family Permit may also be used in some circumstances for dependent parents, grandparents and extended family members such as siblings and cousins.

Where the EEA national is a student, they may only be joined by their spouse/partner and dependent children.

The EEA Family Permit is most often used for:

  • Spouses/partners
  • Unmarried partners
  • Children 21 and under

In certain circumstances, it may be granted to:

  • Parents
  • Grandparents
  • Siblings
  • Cousins

How do I apply for an EEA Family Permit?

The EEA Family Permit involves a two-stage application. The Family Permit will grant the relative entry clearance into the UK. Once this has been granted and you have entered the UK, you must confirm your residence rights. This is usually done by applying for a Residence Card which will last for five years.

Once you have lived in the UK for five years, you will be eligible for settled status which will allow you to stay indefinitely.

How will Brexit affect my application?

Because the Family Permit operates under EU law, the UK will not be granting any to applicants after the UK leaves the EU in March 2019. However, the government is planning to release a new system which will allow EEA nationals and their families to stay in the UK. This system should allow you to stay for five years or until you are eligible for settled status.

How long does an EEA Family Permit last?

The EEA Family Permit will last for up to six months. Once you have received it and entered the UK, you will be able to apply for an EEA Residence Card which will last for up to five years. This will allow you to qualify for EEA Permanent Residence (settled status) and remain indefinitely.

What services does IAS offer?

We understand that applications of this type can be uncertain as Brexit approaches. We aim to give you and your family security in your right to be in the UK.

With decades of experience, our lawyers can advise you on what is best for your family.

Our application package includes:

  • Document check to ensure that everything meets Home Office standards before you apply;
  • Completion of application forms in full and to a professional standard;
  • Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • Contact with the Home Office should they have any more questions before making a decision.

Call us on +1844 290 6312 or request a call-back using our online form for more information.

Our EEA Family Permit Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to you, with written confirmation


Application Package

Full assistance throughout your entire application process


Fast Track Package

A premium service which allows your application to take priority position in your lawyer's workload


Appeal Package

Full representation through your appeal, including physical representation if your case is heard by a tribunal


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

Our team of experts can help you with any issues or queries you need to discuss. Get in touch now to find out your options.

Stanislav: Permanent Residence

Stanislav is an Estonian National who was accepted into a University in the UK.
Due to Brexit, Stanislav wanted to understand the procedures and steps he needed to take to… Read More

Mauricio: Postgraduate Study Visa

Mauricio had been studying in the UK for three years and was offered a postgraduate position just before his visa ran out. He didn’t have much time and contacted IAS… Read More

Terence: Tier 1 Visa

Terence, an Australian investor, found several investment opportunities in the UK. He was unclear about his immigration options and contacted IAS. Working closely with our specialist lawyer, he was able… Read More

Melissa’s Daughter’s British Citizenship

Melissa and her child are Filipino nationals who came to the UK to join Melissa’s husband.
Complications with their initial application and insufficient information being provided resulted in her child’s… Read More

Jennifer & Virginia: Civil Partner Visa

Jennifer was married to Virginia, a Ukrainian National. Jennifer wanted to start a new life with Virginia in the UK but was unsure of the immigration process and contacted IAS… Read More

Anna: Tier 2 Work Visa

Anna, a Russian National, was promoted by her global company and was required to move her and her family to relocate to the UK.
However, under UK immigration rules… Read More

Latest reviews

Nasreen Ali is excellent. She helped me beyond any words can describe to get my indefinite leave to remain. My… Read More
We are extremely happy with the service offered by Alex. He was very professional and he made sure he was… Read More
Bob L
Nasreen Ali was very professional and knowledgeable who dealt with our case extremely well. Parminder Kaur was just excellent at… Read More

Latest news

PERM Labor Certification: Requirements and Eligibility Read More