Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

EEA Permanent Residence

EEA Permanent Residence was granted to qualifying EEA nationals living in the UK before the European Union’s Freedom of Movement ended.

If you are living in the United Kingdom and have questions regarding your UK immigration status, give us a call at +1 844 290 6312. We are here to answer any questions you may have.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What is EEA Permanent Residence?

    Before the United Kingdom left the European Union, nationals of countries who were within the European Economic Area and Switzerland had the right to work, live and study freely in the UK. EEA Permanent Residence was a form of ‘settled status’, also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain for non-EEA migrants. This permanent residence card was an essential document for those intending to apply for British Citizenship in the future.

    As of today, EU/EEA, Swiss citizens, and their family members can no longer apply for a UK permanent residence permit. Applicants who applied on or before December 31st, 2020 will still have their application be considered. However, if you are an EEA or Swiss citizen who would like to have a permanent right of residence, you will need to apply for another type of permission to stay as the permanent residence document is no longer valid.

    UK busy street

    Who is an EEA citizen?

    An EEA citizen is a national of a country in the EU or the European Economic Area. This includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway. Being part of the EEA means that these countries are part of the European Single Market. This allows freedom of movement between member states.

    Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market. Swiss nationals have the same rights as other EEA citizens to enter and live in the UK.

    Bulgarian and Romanians gained the right to visa-free travel in 2007 after joining the EU but were restricted in the kinds of jobs they could take. These restrictions have now been lifted and citizens of these countries have the same rights as all other member states.

    How can EEA citizens stay in the UK?

    If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss national who would like to continue living in the UK as a permanent resident, you will need to file for settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. EU settled status allows for EEA citizens to live and work in the UK on an indefinite basis where they retain full access to healthcare as well as any public funds such as state benefits and pensions (if eligible).

    EEA citizens had until June 30th, 2021 to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Those who failed to apply in time for settled status will no longer have the right to remain in the UK lawfully and therefore will need to apply for a UK visa in the new points-based immigration system.

    UK flag

    How can IAS help?

    If you or your family member are interested in obtaining permanent residence in the UK, we can help navigate you through the new UK immigration points-based system. The lawyers at IAS are all knowledgeable in current legislation and will be able to advise you no matter what your situation including assessing your eligibility for UK visas and Indefinite Leave to Remain. Call now on +1 844 290 6312 make an inquiry online to discuss your circumstances with a professional.

    Advice Package icon

    Advice Package

    Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

    Application Package icon

    Application Package

    Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

    Fast Track Package icon

    Fast Track Package

    Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

    Appeal Package icon

    Appeal Package

    Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

    Advice Package image

    The Advice Package

    With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Request the Advice Package
      Application Package image

      The Application Package

      With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Application Package
        Fast Track Package image

        The Fast Track Package

        Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Fast Track Package
          Appeal Package image

          The Appeal Package

          By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Appeal Package

            Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Related pages for your continued reading.