Immigration Advice Service
1844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews
K-4 Visa for Dependent Children (Spouse)

K-4 Visa for Dependent Children (Spouse)

Your children can join you and your spouse in the U.S. if they obtain a K-4 Visa.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Fill out the form

What is a K-4 Visa?

K3 Visa holders can bring their children to the U.S. by filing a K4 Visa application. Eligible children must meet the following requirements:

  • Being less than 21 years old
  • Be unmarried and not be living an independent life
  • Seeking to migrate to the U.S.

Get in touch with us today to see how we can help. Call us at +1 844 290 6312 or make an online enquiry.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

What is the K4 Visa?

Every biological or adopted child of a K-3 Spouse Visa holder may qualify for a nonimmigrant K-4 visa, also known as K4 Visa.

To be eligible, your children must be under the age of 21 and not be married or be living an independent life. This status can also be extended to stepchildren if they meet specific requirements.

Once in the U.S., they can attend public schools and seek Employment Authorization. The K4 Visa status can be renewed until your children turn 21 or get married.

What are the K4 Visa requirements?

If your children want to follow you in the U.S., they must meet the following requirements:

  • They must be unmarried;
  • They must be under the age of 21;
  • In the case of stepchildren, the relation with you must be created before they reach the ages of 18.

It is worth noting that the K4 visa status applies only to children of married couples. If you and your partner are not married, you must follow the K2 visa process for dependents of foreign fiancé(e)s.

What is the K4 Visa application process?

Your eligible children can apply for K-4 visas as long as their details are filed under your Form I-129. You must submit separate visa requests for each one of your children. Your lawyer can help you file this form to build a comprehensive portfolio to support your application.

All your children holding a K-4 visa must enter the U.S. before or at the same time as you do. However, upon their entry in the U.S., they cannot be included on your Form I-485 to register for permanent residence.

If they want to adjust their status application to a different immigrant visa, they must fill out a separate form.

What is the K4 Visa processing time?

A K-4 Visa will be released for your eligible children at the same time as you are granted your K-3 Spouse Visa. Thus, the K4 Visa processing time is based on several steps.

  • You need to file the names of your eligible children in your Form I-129;
  • When the USCIS confirm that they have received the application, you can fill out an I-130F;
  • Every child over the age of 14 will be asked to attend the US Embassy interview with their mother. Children under the age of 14 are not normally required to attend.

If the USCIS approves the I-130F before or at the same time as I-129F, your children cannot apply for a K-4 Visa. They must directly adjust their status as permanent residents.

Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

Every child holding a K-4 visa is allowed to study in the U.S. without waiting for the issuance of an immigrant visa. However, to be also granted permission to work, your child needs to file the I/756 Application for Employment Authorization.

There are no travel restrictions on a K-4 visa, but your children cannot enter the country for the first time before you do.

The K-4 visa will automatically expire when your child turns 21 or 30 days after he or she gets married. This status and its benefit will terminate after 30 days if the parents file for divorce.

If they meet the requirements, your children will get a K-4 visa. They can stay in the U.S. with you while other immigrant visa petitions are pending approval.

This nonimmigrant dependent status is granted for up to two years, or until the day before they turn 21, in case it is shorter.

Your partner and your children must file the Form I-539 at least 120 days before the expiration of their authorized stay. Any extension of K-4 status must be filed coincidently with your K3 visa renewal, and it is only granted in 2 years intervals. However, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can let your children stay until the day before they turn 21 if this is shorter.

While under their K-4 status, your children cannot apply to adjust their condition to any other non-immigrant visa. They may still seek permanent residence, or request to change to a different immigrant permit.

The K4 Visa application process may be intricate, as there are serval forms to be filled out. At IAS, we can help you through the whole procedure.

Our lawyers can:

  • Liaise with you and your family;
  • Walk you through every step of the process;
  • Check if your children meet the K4 Visa requirements;
  • Prepare a Letter of Representation which refers to your supporting documents;
  • Liaise with the Entry Clearance Office and the USCIS.

Contact us for more information or to discuss your K-4 Visa application. Call us on +1844 290 6312 or use our online form.