If you are a US citizen considering getting married in the UK, you may need to apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa. You will need a Marriage Visitor Visa UK if your partner is not a British citizen or if the two of you are intending to live in the US after your wedding.

The Marriage Visitor Visa UK is part of the Standard Visitor Visa route. It can be granted for up to six months and requires a great deal of evidence. Recently, the Home Office has been strict in granting Visitor Visas, stating that not enough evidence has been given. You will need to give evidence of your wedding plans and prove that you intend to leave the country once your visa expires.

How can IAS help you?

We at IAS understand that your wedding is one of the most special times in your life. Our lawyers are dedicated to taking as much stress out of your application as possible. As part of our application package, we will provide you with a list of documents you can use for your application. They will be used to prove to the Home Office that you meet the tough requirements for the Marriage Visitor Visa UK. We will also complete your application forms in for you, making sure that you do not fall into the common pitfalls of this type of application.

Call us now on+1844 290 6312 or use our online inquiry form to speak to a lawyer about having your special day in the UK.


What is a Marriage Visitor Visa UK?

Anybody from outside of the EEA needs to apply for a Marriage Visitor Visa before having their wedding in the UK. Meeting the requirements for any type of Standard Visitor Visa can be difficult.

You will need to give evidence of your wedding plans in the UK as well as proving that you have strong reason to return to your country of origin. You will also be required to show that you can afford your travel and can support yourself while in the country.

Can I extend my Marriage Visit Visa UK?

You will only be able to extend a Visit Visa if the initial visa was not granted for six months. A Visitor Visa can only be extended up to the full six-month limit.

There may be some circumstances where you will be able to extend this visa, usually on compassionate grounds. This is known as Further Leave to Remain.

Can I switch to a different visa from the Marriage Visitor Visa?

You cannot switch to a different visa type if you are in the UK on a Marriage Visitor Visa UK. If you are marrying a British citizen and decide that you would both like to live in the UK after your marriage, you will need to leave the country and apply for a Spouse Visa from your country of origin.

If you and your partner have already decided to live in the UK after your marriage, the Fiancé Visa route will be a more relevant route. The Fiancé Visa can last up to six months and will allow you to switch to a Spouse Visa from within the UK after your marriage.

Find out more about UK Fiancé Visas.

What services does IAS offer?

Our lawyers have helped countless couples enter the UK to get married. Your lawyer will help you find the right route for you both and advise you on the best course of action to take.

As part of our services, we will:

  • Arrange a meeting wherever you are: in person, over the phone or via Skype;
  • Assess your eligibility for the Marriage Visit Visa UK and suggest alternatives if necessary;
  • Perform a full document check to ensure that your evidence meets Home Office standards;
  • Complete your application forms for you to a professional standard;
  • Include a Letter of Representation which argues why your visa should be granted;
  • Liaise with the Home Office until a decision is reached.

Call us today on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to find out more or to start the application process.

Our Business Visitor Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to you, with written confirmation


Application Package

Full assistance throughout your entire application process


Fast Track Package

A premium service which allows your application to take priority position in your lawyer's workload


Appeal Package

Full representation through your appeal, including physical representation if your case is heard by a tribunal


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are very proud that we have changed so many of our client’s lives for the better. Here are a few of their stories:

Harrison: Entrepreneur Visa

Harrison wanted to expand his Singapore-based business to the United Kingdom. He contacted IAS and worked closely with one of our lawyers who advised him to apply for for a… Read More

Fred and Robin: Relocating to the UK

Fred and Robin wanted to relocate from the USA to the UK. They were unsure of their options so they contacted IAS to seek guidance. Fred is a UK National… Read More

Jaibao: Family Visits to the UK

Jiabao was worried her family from Hong Kong would not be able to attend her wedding in the UK. However, after she contacted IAS and had a Skype advice session… Read More

Jennifer & Virginia: Civil Partner Visa

Jennifer was married to Virginia, a Ukrainian National. Jennifer wanted to start a new life with Virginia in the UK but was unsure of the immigration process and contacted IAS… Read More

Yuma: Tier 4 Student Visa

Yuma, a Japanese National, was accepted as a student in her chosen UK university. She was unclear about the process of coming over to the UK so she contacted… Read More

Helen: Long-term Visits to the UK

Helen, a Canadian National, wanted to stay in the UK for six months when visiting her friend in the UK.
She knew the maximum time she was permitted to spend… Read More

Latest reviews

A very pleasant team. Explained things clearly and simply. Houri Zahedi was very astute--ABC--Accuracy, Brevity and Conciseness. Very warm persona.… Read More
Met with Sudipta for an initial consultation. She was able to provide a comprehensive overview of the options available and… Read More
Excellent advice,remarkable service and professionally dealt the case for our success. We would highly recommend IAS for their professional services… Read More

Latest news

PERM Labor Certification: Requirements and Eligibility Read More