Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Bring your child to the UK: Dependent Child Visa UK

If you are a British Citizen or settled person, or are applying to join a partner in the UK then you can bring your children from the US to join you as your dependents.

The Dependent Child Visa will allow your child to stay in the UK with you.

Our immigration attorneys can help you with your application for a Child Dependent Visa, to find out more about how your child can apply for a UK Child Visa speak to one of our lawyers on +1 844 290 6312

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the UK Child Dependent Visa?

    The UK Child Dependent Visa is also known as the UK Child Visa or Child Settlement Visa, it is part of the Family Visa category that allows families to join each other in the United Kingdom with a variety of UK visas. British citizens or people who have settled status in the UK can bring their non-British child to join them in the UK using the Child Visa. You can also bring your child to the UK with you on this visa if you are applying for limited leave as the partner of a UK national.

    A person granted this visa as the child of a UK national will be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) once in the country. If applying as the child of someone who is applying to join their British partner, they will be given limited leave to remain for the same amount of time that their parent is given.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What are the Eligibility Requirements?

    The main eligibility requirement for the UK Child Visa is to have at least one parent who is currently living in the United Kingdom. However, the requirements vary depending on what type of leave the child is applying for.

    Eligibility requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK

    A child of a UK citizen or settled person can apply for this visa and if successful will be granted indefinite leave to remain, to apply for this type of leave the child must:

    • Be under the age of 18
    • Not be leading an independent life
    • Not be currently married or in a civil partnership
    • Have not formed a separate independent family unit
    • Be able to be financially supported without the use of public funds in the UK and that suitable arrangements have been made for their care
    • Prove that they are related to the parent in question

    Requirements for Limited Leave to Enter or Remain in the UK as a Child

    A child can also be eligible for the visa if their parent is applying for entry clearance or leave to remain as the partner of a British national or settled person in the UK.

    To be eligible for this visa as the child of a parent with limited leave, the child will need to prove that they meet the following eligibility requirements:

    • The partner the parent is joining must also be the child’s parent unless the parent has sole responsibility for them.
    • They child must be under 18 at the time of the application
    • The child must not be married or living an independent life
    • There must be sufficient funds to support the child whilst they are in the UK

    It’s worth noting that if the parent does not have sole responsibility of the child applying, they may still be able to bring them to the UK if there are serious family considerations.

    Children over the age of 18 years may apply for this visa if they have previously been granted leave to enter or remain on a family visa, they are not living an independent life and are applying from inside the UK.

    How to Apply

    There are two ways to apply for the Child Visa, your child can either be added to your next application as a dependent or they can apply separately.

    If applying from inside of the UK, the application can be completed online or by post. If applying from the US you will need to apply online.

    The online application form is available on the website.

    As well as filling in the application form you will need to submit a portfolio of supporting documents to prove that you can meet the requirements, this is one of the most important parts of the application.

    After completing the application, the child will need to have their biometric information taken, this is your fingerprints and photo. This will be used for your biometric residence permit.

    Required Documents 

    In order to prove your identity and that you meet the relevant requirements, there are a number of supporting documents that applicants must submit for this visa.

    Your portfolio of documents should include:

    • A valid passport with at least one empty page for the visa
    • Any previous passports
    • Two passport sized photos
    • Proof that the applicant can be supported financially
    • Proof of the applicants relationship with the parent living or applying to live in the UK, this can include items such as photo’s together.

    Other information the applicant will need to submit includes their:

    • Full name
    • Date of birth
    • Details of any previous immigration applications
    • Details of any criminal convictions, if any
    • Their national insurance number if they have one
    • Their parents’ date of birth and nationality, if applying from the US

    Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your Dependent Child Visa application. Learn more

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Fees and Processing Times

      The visa application fees vary depending on where and how you apply, the current fees are as follows:

      • Applications from outside of the UK – £1464
      • Applications from within the UK using the online or postal form – £993
      • Applications from within the UK using the premium service- £1583

      It will usually take around 12 weeks for your application to be processed if you are applying from the US, or 8 weeks if you’re applying from inside the UK. However, the processing time can be delayed if the application form is filled out incorrectly or if there is an insufficient amount of supporting evidence.

      How Can IAS Help?

      We understand that being close to a family member is important. Our lawyers are ready to help you with every step of applying for your visa to unite you with your loved ones.

      At the IAS you will be assigned a caseworker who will help you throughout the entire application process. Your assigned caseworker will discuss with you your family’s eligibility for the Dependent Child Visa UK and will talk you through the visa requirements. We will also perform a full document check for both you and your child before completing your application forms in full. Your lawyer will write a personal Letter of Representation. This is submitted alongside your application and references your case and cites relevant UK case law.

      Use our online contact form to make an inquiry or call us now on +1844 290 6312 to speak to one of our immigration experts about your child visa application. Our lawyers are trained in all areas of immigration law and are available to give immigration advice immediately.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your Dependent Child Visa application. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                One of the requirements of this visa is that the child must be able to be supported financially whilst in the UK, the parent must prove that they can do this by meeting the financial requirements.

                UK immigration rules state that the UK parent must demonstrate that they satisfy the financial requirement by having an annual income of at least £18,600. plus £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national). Each additional child will require a further £2,400 in income.

                If you are a parent of a child with British Citizenship or settled status, you can apply to enter or stay in the country with them. You will be expected to prove that you have sole responsibility or at least access rights to the child. You will also need sufficient funds to support yourself in the UK without public funds.

                If you meet these and the other requirements, you will be granted temporary leave for 30 months. Once this is set to expire, you will be able to apply for a further 30 months if you continue to meet the requirements of the UK Dependent Visa. After 5 years you will be eligible to apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain). If you are outside the UK, you will need to obtain this visa before you travel.

                If you already have Leave to Remain in the UK you will be eligible provided:

                • You are not on a Visitor Visa or on temporary admission;
                • Your permission to stay was not given for a period of fewer than six months
                • You are not in breach of the Immigration Rules (over-staying for less than 28 days will not count).

                Our lawyers can:

                • Speak with you within a day of the first contact
                • Organize to meet with you in person, over the phone or on Skype
                • Advise you on your next steps and how to proceed
                • Ensure you and your family are eligible for the visa
                • Assist you with filling in the visa application form
                • Undertake a full document check and complete all relevant application forms professionally
                • Produce a Letter of Representation which cites your evidence and UK case law to support your application
                • Liaise with the Home Office until a decision on your application is reached

                Get in touch on +1844 290 6312 now or make an inquiry online to find out more about how we can help you obtain your UK visa.