USA and the UK
What is the Adult Dependant Relative Visa?
The Adult Dependant Relative Visa is part of the UK Family Visa category. This visa route is for non-EEA citizens who require long-term personal care that only a British relative can provide. As a US citizen, this type of visa would allow you to move from the US to join your family member in the UK to obtain the required level of care that you need.
If granted the visa you will usually be able to stay in the UK indefinitely, or as long as your relative’s settlement lasts.
It’s worth noting that the criteria for this visa category was changed in 2012, and it is now incredibly difficult to be granted an Adult Dependant Relative Visa due to the strict requirements that must be met.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Adult Dependant Relative Visa you must require long-term personal care as a result of age, illness, or disability. This means that you cannot perform everyday tasks such as personal and household tasks.
As well as this there are a number of other requirements that you must meet to be eligible for this visa, these include:
- You must be aged 18 years or over and either the parent, grandparent, sibling, or child of someone in the UK who is either a British Citizen, someone who is settled in the UK, or someone with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status.
- You must be able to prove that the long-term personal care that you require is not available in the US, even if your family can offer practical and financial help. This could be because there is not a person in your country who can reasonably provide the required level of care or because it is unaffordable.
- You will also need to show that your family in the UK will be able to adequately support you financially without recourse to public funds and that you will have suitable accommodation.
How to apply?
You must apply for this visa whilst you are in the US, as there is no option to switch to this visa from another UK Visa. You can apply using the application form available on the GOV UK website.
The current application fee for the UK Adult Dependant Relative Visa is £3,250. If your relative is a refugee or someone with humanitarian protection, then this fee is reduced to £388.
As part of your application you may need to provide details and documents including:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your current passport or other valid travel ID
- Copies of the photo page and any visa or entry stamps in your previous passports
- Details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made
- Details of any criminal convictions
- Your parents’ date of birth and nationality if you’re applying from outside the UK
As well as filling in the application form for this visa, you will also be required to submit a substantial amount of supporting evidence to prove that you meet the requirements. This could include:
- Evidence of your relationship to your sponsoring UK family members (who must be a UK citizen or someone who is settled in the UK)– such as birth or adoption certificates.
- Evidence that the applicant will require long-term personal care as a result of age, illness, or disability – such as medical evidence from a doctor or health professional.
- Proof that you are unable to access the required level of care in the US – such as a statement from a local health authority or doctor.
If the reason for this care is because it is unaffordable the family member must provide an explanation as to why they can not afford to financially support the relative.
How can IAS help?
advised that you seek the help of a professional immigration lawyer to assist you with your application.
Our IAS lawyers have decades of experience and are all highly-trained in all areas of immigration law, this means that they are well equipped to support their clients with even the most complicated visa applications.
When assisting you with your UK Adult Dependant Relative Visa application, our lawyers will make sure that your application is as extensive as possible to give you the best chance of success. The support services for this visa that our lawyer offer include one-to-one assistance, full document assessment, and compilation of your evidence into an application portfolio. One of our lawyers can also write a Letter of Representation to support your application.
Contact our team on +1 844 290 6312 now or used the online inquiry form to book a consultation or make an inquiry to find out if you are eligible for an Adult Dependant Relative Visa UK.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
To apply for an Adult Dependent Visa, you need to demonstrate that you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks. This can be due to illness, disability or old age.
You must also be able to show that you cannot get this care in your home country – either because it is not available or not affordable.
Alongside this, your relative must be equipped to accommodate and care for you once you are in the UK.
You must be aged 18 or over and you will need to show extensive medical records.
Your relative must meet certain requirements if you are applying for an Adult Dependent Visa UK.
They must either have:
- British citizenship
- Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
- Recognized refugee status (if this is the case they must be eligible for the Family Reunion route)
- Be financially secure
- Be able to provide long-term care for you
- Be able to accommodate you in the UK
The application for an Adult Dependent Visas can be particularly challenging – as they are some of the most difficult UK visas to be granted.
Our immigration lawyers are experienced and professional. They can guide you through each stage of your application process.
With IAS, you will be paired with an immigration lawyer. Your lawyer will begin the journey with you and guide you through the process until a decision on your application is reached.
- Check and process your supporting evidence;
- Compile your documents into an extensive evidence portfolio, to be presented to the Home Office;
- Liaise with the Home Office regarding your application and particular issues;
- Complete your full application to the highest possible standard;
- Write a Letter of Representation to support your application. This letter will detail your case and describe its merits, while also citing relevant case-law to back it up.
Contact us now on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your situation.
Visa applications for the UK Adult Dependant visa currently cost £3,250.
This fee is reduced to £388 if your family member in the UK has refugee status or humanitarian protection.
The Adult Dependant Visa usually allows you to remain in the UK indefinitely if your family member here is either a UK citizen or has Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
If they don’t have permanent settlement then you will be able to stay as long as their settlement lasts.
An applicant must submit a substantial amount of documents to prove that they can meet the requirements for this visa. This could include:
- Birth certificates, to prove your relationship with your family member who lives permanently in the UK
- Doctors records to prove that you require long-term care
- Local authority or doctors statements to prove that you cannot obtain the required level of care in the country they are in.
- Evidence such as bank statements to prove that your family in the UK can support you without recourse to public funds.
There are many other types of documents that an applicant may need to submit to the Home Office for this visa, our immigration attorneys can inform you about everything you will need. Contact them today on +1 844 290 6312.
No, the Adult Dependant visa is only available to applicants who are outside of the UK. This means that you will need to apply whilst you are still in the US. You can apply using the application form online.
IAS has multiple offices in the US, but if you cannot make it to meet with our lawyers in person they can still assist you over the phone or via Skype call.
Refusals of these visas are unfortunately common because of the strict criteria that an applicant must meet. However, in some circumstances, you may be able to appeal this decision to the court of appeal, and our lawyers can help you to do this.
Contact our team today on +1 844 290 6312 to find out more about appeals to UK Visas and Immigration.