Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Moving To The US From The Philippines

Moving to the United States from the Philippines can be a complex and sometimes confusing process for Filipino citizens. With the right information and guidance, it is possible to successfully migrate to the US from the Philippines. In this guide, we will explore the various routes and options available for those looking to move to the US from their home country, the Philippines, including details on eligibility requirements, fees, processing times, things to consider, and common reasons for refusal.

For more information about the services we provide and how we can help you, reach out to a member of our team today. Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What Type Of Visa Do You Need To Emigrate To The US From The Philippines?

    Filipino citizens require various types of visas to emigrate to the United States from the Philippines, depending on their specific circumstances and the purpose of their travel.

    • A non-immigrant visa: is required for those who are temporarily traveling to the United
      States for reasons such as tourism, business, education, or an exchange program.
    • An immigrant visa: is required for those who are planning to move to the United States permanently.

    Types of Immigrant Visas

    There are several types of immigrant visas available for foreign nationals looking to move from the Philippines to the United States. To assist you in determining which one is appropriate for your situation, here are some of the most frequently used immigrant visa categories:

    • A family-based visa may be required for those who have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident and is sponsoring them for immigration.
    • An employment-based visa may be required for those who have a job offer from a U.S. employer and are going to work in the United States.
    • A student visa may be required for those who are going to study in the United States.
    • An investor visa may be required for those who are going to invest in a business in the United States.
    • K-1 Fiancé visa may be required for those who are engaged to a U.S. citizen and plan to marry within 90 days of entering the United States.

    It’s important to note that obtaining a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The final decision is made by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the point of entry.

    It is advisable to check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the Philippines for the most up-to-date information and guidance on the visa application process.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    How To Migrate From The Philippines To The US On A Family-Based Or Sponsorship Visa

    One of the most popular ways to migrate from the Philippines to the US is through family sponsorship. This route allows a US citizen or permanent resident to sponsor a family member for a Green Card. The eligibility requirements for family sponsorship include being a US citizen or permanent resident, being at least 21 years old, and having a valid relationship to the person being sponsored, such as a parent, spouse, or child.

    The fee for submitting the I-130 petition, which is the first step in the family sponsorship process, is $535. Additionally, there may be fees for biometrics and other required documents.

    The processing time for an I-130 petition, which is filed by a sponsor, can range from 6 to 12 months on average. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles petitions in the order that they are received.

    How To Move To The US From The Philippines With K-1 Fiancé Visa Or Spouse Visa

    The K-1 Fiancé Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows the fiancé of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for 90 days, during which time the couple must get married. After the marriage, the fiancé can apply for permanent residency (a Green Card) and remain in the United States.

    The K-1 visa process requires both the U.S. citizen and the non resident foreign national fiancé submitting various forms and documentation, and undergoing interviews and background checks. The U.S. citizen must also prove that they have met in person within the past 2 years and that they have a bona fide relationship and a valid marriage certificate.

    K-1 costs and processing time

    Unlike tourist visas, the cost of a K-1 Fiancé visa can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case and the country where the foreign national fiancé is applying from. Some of the costs associated with the K-1 visa process include the following:

    • The nonrefundable application fee for the Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), which is currently $535.
    • The visa application fee (MRV fee) for the foreign national fiancé, which is currently $265.
    • Medical assessment fees, if required
    • $1,140 for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
    • The biometrics service fee is $85 for people aged 14 to 78.

    Please keep in mind that, for the following, biometric services are free of charge.

    • Children under the age of 14 who are not filing their Form I-485 application along with at least one parent
    • Age 79 or older and
    • Filing form I-485 based on having been admitted to the United States as a refugee

    As for processing time, the review and processing of Form I-129F by USCIS take 5-7.5 months. National Visa Center (NVC) U.S. processing of the DS-160 takes 3-4 weeks. And the consulate or embassy schedules interviews for the applicant that takes about 4-6 weeks.

    Are you a Filipino who plans to migrate to the US? We would be happy to assist you. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      How Do I Move To The US From The Philippines On A Work Visa?


      The United States boasts the world’s largest economy and this sustained growth is significantly influenced by immigrants. Filipino citizens who want to work in the U.S. have a variety of visa options available to them. You would need either one of the temporary non-immigrant or permanent immigrant work visas and it is not a direct route to a Green Card or Permanent Residence.

      Temporary Non-Immigrant Work Visas

      These are for individuals seeking to work in the United States for a specified period of time. Typically, an employer will file a petition for this type of work with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the employee will need to apply for a visa before entering the U.S. There are various categories of workers under this qualification, which can be found on the USCIS website. Family members of visa holders also need to apply for their own visas before coming to the U.S. The most common types of non-immigrant work visas are:

      • H-1B Visa (specialty occupation)
      • H-1B1 Visa Treaty-based Temporary Work Visas
      • H-2A  Visa (seasonal agricultural workers)
      • H-2B visa (skilled and unskilled workers)
      • H-3 Visa (trainee)
      • H-4 Visa (dependents)
      • L-1 Visa(intra-company transferees)
      • L-2 Visa (dependents)
      • O Visa
      • P Visa (artists, entertainers)
      • Q Visa
      • R Visa
      • TN NAFTA


      Permanent Immigrant Work Visas

      To qualify, most of these visas require an offer of employment from an employer who has been certified by the U.S. Department of Labor. Listed below are the popular permanent immigrant work visas.

      • EB-1 Visa
      • EB-2 Visa
      • EB-3 Visa
      • EB-4 Visa
      • EB-5 Visa

      The duration of the I-140 process can vary based on the type of processing service selected by your employer. Under regular processing, it typically takes around 6 to 9 months to complete. However, if your employer chooses to utilize the premium processing service, the process can be completed within 15 calendar days. The processing time for Form I-485 concludes when you receive your permanent residence, which typically takes 8 to 14 months from the date of filing.

      The fees for employment-based immigration:

      • Cost of filing the I-140 petition – $700.
      • And the cost of I-485 application – $1,225.

      Do you wish to obtain a Work Visa in the US? Get our expert advice today. Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        How To Move From Philippines To US Via The Diversity Visa

        The Diversity Visa Lottery, also known as the “Green Card Lottery”. The Diversity Visa Lottery is a programme run by the US government that provides Green Cards to individuals from countries that have low rates of immigration to the US.

        The eligibility requirements for the Diversity Visa Lottery include being a native of a qualifying country and having a high school education or equivalent work experience. The processing time for the Diversity Visa Lottery is typically around a year. The fee for submitting an application for the Diversity Visa Lottery is $330.

        Typically, individuals who are selected through the Green Card lottery process will be notified of their selection approximately 7 months after submitting their entry. However, the time between selection and receiving a visa can vary and can take up to 14 months or more, depending on factors such as when the individual applied for the visa and how soon they are scheduled for an interview.

        What Are The Reasons For Refusal When Moving From The Philippines To The US?

        It’s important to note that regardless of the route taken, all applicants for immigration to the US from the Philippines will have to undergo background and security checks, which can sometimes result in rejection if any issues are found.

        Common reasons for refusal include:

        • Criminal convictions.
        • Previous immigration violations.
        • Or a history of fraud or misrepresentation.
        • Incomplete or wrongly filled application.

        It is also important to be aware that some of the fees mentioned above may be non-refundable, even if the application is denied.

        What Documents Should I Bring When Immigrating To The US From The Philippines?

        The documents you bring will be of use when applying for your immigration visa and in other areas such as renting a home, getting a driver’s license, getting a Social Security card, getting credit cards, and opening a new bank account in the US. It would greatly help if you bring the following documents.

        • A current and valid passport
        • Birth certificates, Marriage certificates, Divorce certificates, Death certificates, Custody orders, and other similar papers certified for translation
        • Certified translations of all certificates, diplomas, and credentials
        • Your foreign national driver’s license
        • Translations of important financial documents
        • Copies of bank statements – this must be translated into English.
        • Translations of prescription letters and medical records (e.g., when medication is needed)
        • Certifications of required vaccinations

        Don't struggle on your US visa application alone. We are here to help you. Contact Us

          Fill out the form

          How Can IAS Help With Your Move To The US?

          To acquire your visa, your application must be comprehensive. However, we at Immigration Advice Service recognise that it occasionally can be perplexing and challenging. IAS is available to assist you with your application. Our knowledgeable immigration attorneys are here to address your concerns and comprehend your particular circumstance. Your professional and committed attorney will assist you in completing your application and ensuring that it is fully compliant with USCIS requirements.

          Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our staff to learn more about our services and to receive guidance on your immigration goals. Contact our team at +1 844 290 6312.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Fill out the form

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    You can do so by filing form I-130. Before you can sponsor you must meet the following eligibility criteria.

                    • You must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident.
                    • You must be at least 18 years old.
                    • You must reside in the United States or one of its territories.
                    • You must have met the required financial requirements
                    • You must have filed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.

                    You should apply for a US tourist visa from the Philippines if you want to travel to the US. Filipino citizens who want to travel or visit friends or relatives in the US need a B-2 visa. Always buy two way tickets to avoid being rejected on a Tourist Visa.

                    B2 visas will allow you to stay for a maximum of 180 days in the USA. And it is valid for 10 years after it is issued. After that time, you will need to renew your B2 Visa if you want to stay in the United States long-term again.

                    The following documents are required when applying for k-1 fiancé visa:

                    • Passport
                    • Non-immigrant visa DS-160 completed form
                    • Birth certificate
                    • NBI clearance
                    • Court and prison records (if any)
                    • Military or police service records (if applicable)
                    • Proof of termination of prior marriage or death certificate (if applicable)
                    • Certificate of no marriage record
                    • Visa photographs
                    • Medical examination
                    • Proof of Financial Support

                    Premium costs are often divided between you and your employer. Employers typically contribute around 78 percent of the cost of individual health insurance premiums and 66 percent of the cost of family coverage. If you do not want your employer’s insurance plan, you can choose an individual or private health insurance policy of your own.