Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Canada Facilitation Visa

The rule is for all Canadian citizens, including holders of dual nationality, to present a valid passport when travelling. However, there are exceptional instances when a Canadian citizen can Travel to Canada without a Canadian passport.

If you need more information about securing facilitation visas or have other immigration-related issues to ask, speak to one of our Canadian legal experts at +1 844 290 6312 or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Facilitation Visa?

    Generally, the responsibility to look after the welfare of Canadian nationals living abroad falls under Global Affairs Canada instead of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

    A Canadian who wishes to travel to Canada without a Canadian password must seek the assistance of the consulate section. However, there are cases where a dual-nationality Canadian citizen may travel to Canada without a Canadian passport.

    Under these exceptional cases, the IRCC may issue a facilitation visa. This visa is a temporary resident visa (TRV), a counterfoil placed in the Canadian’s other national passport. This counterfoil allows the passport holder a single entry to Canada and is valid only within the timeframe indicated for travel.

    Visa officers must consider several factors before issuing Canadian facilitation visas, including the verification of the status and identity of the applicant. For instance, the visa officers must examine whether or not the applicant is a holder of a Canadian passport on record or has documentary evidence of citizenship.

    Canadians with dual citizenship must present their other national passports. Remember that other documents, such as birth certificates and citizenship cards that purport to prove Canadian citizenship, are not considered travel documents.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Purpose of Facilitation Visas

    The IRCC issues facilitation visas to a Canadian only when its non-issuance would pose undue difficulties to the individual.

    Below are some of the circumstances where the IRCC may issue a facilitation visa:

    • When the travel is urgent, the client cannot secure a new, replacement, or emergency passport on time. For example, the IRCC might issue this visa in consideration for Canadians who lost their travel documents.
    • The IRCC might also issue a facilitation visa for children born in Canada to parents who are foreign nationals.
    • A facilitation visa without a passport is also possible for children who went through a citizenship adoption process in their home country. So, the Canadian visa office that processed the citizenship application shall issue the facilitation visa if the child travels to Canada on their home country’s passport.
    • The visa officer may also deem it necessary to issue a facilitation visa to presumptive Canadians under 18 who wish to come to Canada to live with their Canadian parents.

    The applicant must present evidence to prove the presumptive Canadian citizenship, such as a Canadian birth certificate. The IRCC employees must be satisfied with the existence of a parent-child relationship. Therefore, the applicant must submit documents to prove that at least one parent is a Canadian citizen.

    Documents for Facilitation Visa Processing

    Applicants must present the following required documents together with their facilitation visa application:

    • A valid government-issued passport from the country that granted your second citizenship;
    • Documentary evidence of your Canadian citizenship, such as your Canadian citizenship certificate, birth certificate from a province or territory in Canada, naturalization certificate, registration of birth abroad, and certificate of retention;
    • Evidence of your inability to secure a Canadian passport. You must also prove that your difficulty securing a Canadian passport is beyond your control;
    • Submit financial documents, such as bank statements. You must convince the visa officer that you have sufficient financial capacity to finance your travel to Canada;
    • In your application form, attach a declaration letter to the Government of Canada explaining why they must issue a facilitation visa;
    • Provide two identical passport-style photos that meet the Canadian photo requirements;
    • Present documents that confirm your employment and education status. A good example is a letter from your employer confirming that you have obligations to fulfil at work and must return home.

    In certain circumstances, facilitation visa applicants must submit a medical examination form. They may also need to subject themselves to an interview and give their biometrics.

    How to Apply for a Facilitation Visa

    Submit your filled-up application form and other travel documents to the consular section of your second home country. After submitting, you may need to wait a few days to process your application.

    If the visa officer approves your application, you will receive your passport with the facilitation visa.

    The consulate office will return your passport with the reasons for the refusal of your application.

    If you failed to secure a facilitation visa, don’t hesitate to contact us at +1 844 290 6312 for assistance. Our team of immigration experts is happy to help you through the application process and provide advice on improving your chances of being approved.

    We can help you with your Facilitation Visa application. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

      The Canadian TRV is a visa category under the Temporary Canada Visas. This visa category is for people who want to visit and stay in Canada temporarily. Usually, the TRV is for foreign nationals who stay in Canada for six months or less, primarily for tourism, family, and business purposes.

      A Canadian visa office issues the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) as an official counterfoil document. This document confirms that the person seeking entry into Canada as a temporary resident meets the admission requirements.

      A TRV may be used in place of a passport and is generally valid for six months. It is important to note that a TRV does not authorize entry into Canada but confirms that the person has met the admission requirements.

      Below are other things to consider when looking to apply for a TRV:

      • Convince the officer that you will stay in Canada temporarily and leave before the end of the visit duration.
      • Provide evidence of financial capacity to maintain yourself and your family while in Canada.
      • Satisfy the visa officer that you do not plan to work or study in Canada. You must seek authorization if you wish to work or study in Canada.
      • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no record of criminal activity. The visa officers want to ensure that a foreign national who may risk the country’s security will not be allowed entry.
      • You must be prepared to provide an additional document that the officer may request to strengthen admissibility. For example, you must comply if the visa officer deems it necessary for your to submit a medical examination.

      Visa Requirements to Apply for a TRV

      When applying for a TRV, you must demonstrate to the immigration officer that you meet the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) requirements and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. You must also convince the visa officer that you will be in Canada temporarily and intend to return to your home country before the end of the suggested duration of the visit.


      Top 5 Canada Visa Types

      People who wish to visit or stay in Canada for a short period may apply for the following Canadian visitor visa:

      Canadian Tourist Visa.  A Canadian tourist visa holder is allowed to enter the country solely for tourism purposes.

      Canada Super Visa.  This super visa caters to parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to visit their children or grandchildren.

      Diplomatic and Official Visa.  This permit is for officials and diplomats of foreign countries who visit Canada to perform official duties.

      Courtesy Visa.  Some government officials in foreign countries may not qualify for Diplomatic and Official visas. They may file Courtesy Visa applications if their visit is necessary for the performance of their duty. For example, members of a trade mission may secure a courtesy visa to carry out their duty to explore international business opportunities.

      Canada Business Visa. People seeking to travel to Canada for business purposes may secure a Canada business visa.

      Canada Felicitation Visa. Canadian citizens with dual nationalities may secure a Canada felicitation visa in place of a Canadian passport.

      Temporary Work Visa. Employees who received a job offer from a Canadian employer for less than six months may qualify for a temporary work visa. However, the applicant must present a valid job offer from the employer.

      Temporary Residence Permit. An individual who plans to enter Canada for a short period may apply for a temporary resident permit. For example, if you intend to attend a one-week conference in Canada, you must leave the country by the expiry date indicated in the permit.

      Canada Transit Visa. The Canadian government adopted an immigration rule specifying that all foreign residents from visa-required countries must present a transit visa if their international flights stop at a Canadian airport before heading to another country. If you don’t have a visitor visa, you must transit through Canada within 48 hours.

      If you have any questions about your Facilitation Visa eligibility, our team is happy to assist you. Contact us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        How can IAS Help?

        If you are a Canadian citizen with dual citizenship, you can always return to Canada, provided you have your updated passport.

        However, there are unforeseen circumstances when you don’t have your Canadian passport, and you may wonder how to travel back to Canada.

        We at IAS understand how important it is for you to be able to come back home quickly in case of an emergency. That’s why our IAS Immigration Lawyers are here to help you. We want to make securing a facilitation visa as smooth as possible for you.

        We provide support from gathering relevant documents to the submission of your application. With our years of experience and expertise in Canadian immigration law, we can help you every step of the way.

        Call our legal experts at +1 844 290 6312 or visit our website now to learn more about our services and how we can help you move to Canada!

        Related pages for your continued reading.

        We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Get in touch

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package