Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Canada Agri-Food Pilot

The Canadian Agri-Food Pilot program is one of Canada’s many immigration pathways to permanent residency. Non-seasonal workers with experience in an eligible agri-food industry can relocate to Canada through this program.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help and assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is Canada Agri-Food Pilot?

    The Agri-Food Pilot, also known as the Agri-Food Immigration Pilot, is a pathway for non-seasonal workers who want permanent residency in Canada. These workers must have experience in an eligible or qualified food manufacturing or agricultural profession.

    To qualify for this program, candidates must meet the following requirements:

    • Have work experience in a qualified profession or industry
    • Have received an employment offer
    • Satisfy the language proficiency requirements
    • Meet or surpass the educational requirements
    • Prove they have sufficient funds to settle in Canada (if applicable)
    • Have maintained their temporary resident status (If they are in Canada already).

    Currently, the Agri-Food Immigration Pilot is a temporary immigration pathway which will run until May 2023.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What Industries are Eligible for the Agri-Food Pilot?

    The eligible industries under this program are categorised by the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS). You may search the NAICS website for detailed industry definitions by searching for industry codes.

    Your prospective employer must include the industry code in the employment offer. Failure to do this could negatively impact your application process.

    The eligible industries under this immigration program include:

    • Greenhouse, nursery, and floriculture production. This industry includes mushroom production (NAICS 1114).
    • Meat product manufacturing (NAICS 3116)
    • Animal production (excluding aquaculture) with subcategories including the following:
      • Hog and Pig Farming (NAICS 1122)
      • Cattle Ranching and Farming (NAICS 1121)
      • Sheep and Goat Farming (NAICS 1124)
      • Poultry and Egg Production (NAICS 1123)
      • Other animal production (NAICS 1129)

    What Occupations or Professions Are Eligible Under The Agri-Food Pilot?

    The eligible occupations or professions under the Agri-Food Immigration Pilot are categorised by the National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes. You will find specific information for these occupations by checking out the NOC page on the Canadian government website.

    Eligible occupations are listed out below under their respective industries.

    The Meat Product Manufacturing industry (NAICS 3116):

    • Industrial Butchers – NOC C 9462
    • Retail Butchers – NOC B 6331
    • Food Processing Labourers – NOC D 9617
    • Farm Supervisors and Specialized Livestock Workers – NOC B 8252

    The Greenhouse, Nursery, and Floriculture Production (also including mushroom production) (NAICS 1114):

    • Harvesting Labourers – NOC D 8611
    • General Farm Worker – NOC C 8431
    • Farm Supervisors and Specialized Livestock Workers – NOC B 8252

    What are the Work Experience Requirements For the Canadian Agri-Food Pilot?

    Eligible work experience is an essential requirement for the Agri-Food Immigration Pilot programme. To qualify for the program, the work experience must be:

    • At least 1 year of non-seasonal and full-time work over the last 3 years from the time of application. This requirement means you must have worked at least 1560 hours in that role.
    • In one or more of the eligible occupations in the listed industries.
    • Through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

    A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) with at least 12 months should be submitted by the employer that is giving you the job offer. You may have eligible work experience if you currently have an open work permit but used to have a work permit via the Temporary Foreign Worker programme. However, the work experience gained under an open work permit does not apply to the Agri-Food Pilot scheme.

    Additionally, the following will not count as work experience in the Agri-Food Pilot scheme:

    • Unpaid work hours (internships or volunteering experience)
    • Work hours gained through self-employment
    • Hours worked in a seasonal or part-time role
    • Hours worked in a role unauthorised by Immigration, Refugees and Citizen Canada (IRCC).

    What are the Requirements for Employment Offers?

    Candidates must have a job offer to qualify for the Agri-Food Immigration Pilot. However, the job offer must meet the requirements:

    • Be in a qualified profession under the eligible industries
    • Be a full-time role (you must work a minimum of 30 paid work hours per week), and it must be permanent (it means that there is no set end date)
    • Be a seasonal role (the role must be regularly scheduled and consistent paid work)
    • Wages for unionised roles must be set based on the relevant collective agreement
    • Wages for non-unionised roles must surpass the Job Bank’s predominant median wage for the profession cited in your job offer in the province where you are being hired. (National wage levels apply if provincial rates are not available)
    • The job offer must be for a role in any Canadian province asides from Quebec.
    Lawyers deliberating over documents on computer.

    Our expert immigration lawyers can assist you with your Agri-Food Pilot program application. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What Are The Language Proficiency Requirements For the Agri-Food Pilot?

      You must have a minimum of a level 4 score in either the Niveaux de Competence Linguistique Canadiens (NCLC) or the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) to be eligible for the Agri-Food Pilot scheme. It must be for the four basic language skills; writing, reading, listening and speaking.

      If your primary language is English, you may take either of the following tests to meet these language requirements:

      • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
      • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)

      However, if French is your primary language, you may take either of the following tests:

      • Test de Connaissance du Francais (TCF Canada)
      • Test d’evaluation de Francais (TEF Canada)

      Minimum Educational Requirements for the Agri-Food Pilot?

      To be eligible for the Agri-Food Pilot candidates must have either of the following:

      • A High School diploma from a Canadian school
      • An ECA (Educational Credential Assessment) report from a recognised institution or professional body confirms that you completed a foreign credential at the high school or secondary school level.
        • The report must be obtained not more than 5 years prior to the submission of your application
        • The original report must be issued on or after the professional body or institution is recognised.

      As of the time of writing, the recognised institutions or professional bodies that may issue an acceptable ECA report are:

      • International Credential Evaluation Service
      • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
      • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
      • World Education Services
      • Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies.

      The Financial Requirements for the Agri-Food Pilot

      Proof of funds is essential for those who want to immigrate to Canada under the Agri-Food Pilot scheme. You must have sufficient funds to cater to your needs and your family’s needs while living in Canada. There is no need to provide proof of funds if you already have a valid work permit before you submit your application.

      Note that the required fund depends on your specific circumstances. The size of your family will also affect how much you will need to immigrate to Canada. Family in this context refers to:

      • Yourself
      • Your partner or spouse
      • Your dependent Children (if any)
      • Your spouse or partner’s dependent children (if any)

      You must include your spouse and dependent children even if they are already Canadian citizens, have permanent residence in Canada, or not immigrating to Canada with you.

      There are regular changes in the minimum amount candidates need to immigrate to Canada. However, the table below gives you an idea of how much you may need. (Note that the figures are for 2020 and will most likely differ from your actual funds required).

      Family Size (Including those not immigrating with you) Funds Needed ($CAN)
      1 13,213
      2 16,449
      3 20,222
      4 24,553
      5 27,847
      6 31,407
      7 34,967
      For every additional member 3,560

      Find out how we can assist with your Agri-Food Pilot program application. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Butcher holding meat

        What Documents Do I Need for My Application?

        The following documents must be submitted alongside your application:

        • Copies of your travel documents or passports and that of  your family members if applicable
        • Proof of Education alongside an ECA report, if applicable
        • Proof of language proficiency
        • Proof of Collective Agreement (Only applicable if the wages for your job is determined based on collective agreement)
        • Proof of funds
        • Proof of past relevant work experience
        • Proof of temporary residence status (if you are already living in Canada)
        • Identification and Civil status documents for you and your family members (Such as birth certificates, marriage certificates and proof of cohabitation for a minimum of 12 months)
        • Police certificate
        • Children’s information (If necessary)
        • Receipt of payment of application fees
        • Two pictures each for each member of your family.

        How can IAS Help?

        If you’re an experienced agricultural or food manufacturing worker, the Agri-Food Pilot may be a great option to obtain permanent resident status in Canada. However, the application process can be complex and challenging to navigate on your own.

        At Immigration Advice Service, our team of expert immigration lawyers can help you with every step of the process, from completing your application and gathering evidence to understanding the requirements and different elements of the Agri-Food pilot programme.

        We have a wealth of experience in Canadian immigration law, and we can help ensure that your application is as strong as possible. Don’t try to go through the complex Agri-Food Pilot application process alone – let the experienced lawyers at Immigration Advice Service help you.

        Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help and assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

        Call us for further assistance with your Agri-Food Pilot program immigration matter. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions face to face, over the phone, or online. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.