Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

K1 Visa timeline

US citizens are able to bring their fiancé(e) to the US on a K-1 visa – which is also referred to as a fiancé(e) visa. The usual visa timescale for a K-1 application and receiving a K1 visa can be around 12 months assuming you have made the application correctly. However, this typical timeline does depend on USCIS workload and can vary depending on the individual details for each visa application.

If you have additional questions and would like to speak with an experienced immigration attorney about your K 1 fiancé visa, give us a call at +1 844 290 6312. We are here to help you online, by phone, or in person.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    K1 Visa explained

    If you have United States citizenship then you are able to bring your foreign fiancé(e) on a K-1 visa and then get married in the US before living permanently in the country.

    The K-1 visa allows your alien fiancé to come to the US and marry within 90 days of arrival. Once married, you can apply for a change in status to become a US resident and be granted permanent residency.

    You do not qualify for a K1 visa if are already married or want to get married outside of the United States. If that is the case, then you may be eligible for a K-3 Spouse visa and you should discuss this option with an immigration lawyer.

    The K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa – meaning it is a temporary visa. Under the government rules the visa holder can not stay longer than 90 days and if they do not marry their U.S citizen fiancé within that time then they must leave the country.

    wedding ceremony

    Applying for a K-1 visa and visa interview

    Obtaining a K-1 visa can be a lengthy and complicated process, so it is important that you apply using the correct forms and submit all the required documents to avoid delays. The US government will carry out a background check on the US citizen sponsor and the wait time can vary significantly from case to case.

    The first step is submitting a form I-129F petition with the local US Citizenship and Immigration Services office. Details of offices can be found on the USCIS website.

    Once your application is approved then your fiancé(e) visa petition will be passed to the National Visa Center and your partner will then make an application as well as attending a visa interview with a Consular Officer at their local US Embassy.

    All applicants are required to have a medical exam before the interview takes place. The medical examination involves a physical and mental check-up, as well as ensuring all vaccinations are up-to-date.

    It can take between four and six weeks after the embassy’s first contact to set-up the interview at the embassy or consulate. However, the person conducting the visa approval interview will usually make a decision about the outcome within 24 hours or request further information. It is important any additional evidence is supplied quickly in order to avoid any further delays to the timescale or failure to be given an approval notice.

    Can a K-1 visa holder apply for a green card?

    The next step to becoming to be a green card holder is to complete a Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status.

    How much does a K-1 visa cost?

    If you want to apply for a K 1 visa, you will need to pay the following:

    • Filing a K 1 visa fiancé(e) petition (Form I-129F): $535
    • Consulate fee for non-immigrant visa application processing: $265


    K-1 visa eligibility

    You must be able to prove that you intend to get married within 90 days and each application is scrutinised closely. Therefore, it is important to make sure you submit your application with the correct evidence to avoid unnecessary delays to the application process.

    Generally, in order to qualify for the K-1 visa you must meet the following criteria and be aware that the K-1 visa is not a marriage based green card.

    • The sponsoring partner must be a U.S citizen and have permanent residence in the UK. Green card holders are not eligible to sponsor a K-1 visa application of foreign fiancé.
    • Both people must be able to get married – so they must not already be married and they must have evidence of any previous marriages, divorces or annulments.
    • Same-sex partners are covered by K-1 visas – even if the foreign spouse/partner’s home country does not permit same-sex marriage.
    • The applicants must be able to provide evidence of a genuine and bona fide relationship with written statements from friends and family as well as correspondence between partners. You may also be required to provide required supporting documents such as photographs and receipts to prove legitimacy.
    • Evidence of a planned wedding within 90 days is also required. For example, a receipt of a deposit on a venue or a wedding invitation alongside a signed statement confirming an intent to wed must be submitted with the K-1 visa application.
    • There are also financial requirements that need to be met. It is required that the U.S citizen should have an income on their most recent tax return that is at least equal to Federal Poverty Guidelines.  Employment authorization may also be undertaken by a government agency to double check the income of the U.S citizen petitioner.
    • Certain criminal history could lead to a K-1 visa application being rejected. Crimes such as fraud, drug trafficking and a history of overstaying visas could lead to the application being refused by the National Visa Center or immigration services.

    Do you need help applying for a K 1 fiancé Visa? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Request a call back from our immigration experts


      wedding day

      How can IAS help me?

      At IAS, we specialize in helping happy couples marry in the U.S. and live happily ever after.

      Our law firm is experienced in submitting successful K 1 fiancé visa applications and subsequent marriage green card applications. Our attorney services include:

      • Reviewing your situation and assessing your eligibility
      • Helping you to gather the required supporting documents to build a strong case
      • Liaising with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services on your behalf
      • Helping you fill your Form I-129F
      • Helping you with your adjustment of status to marriage-based green card

      Get in touch today. You can call us on +1 844 290 6312 or ask for a free call back from our immigration experts.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with your K 1 Visa application. Call us now

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package