If you are looking to move to the UK for work and you have a specific skill set, you will need to apply for a Tier 2 Work Visa UK. UK Visas and Immigration operate a points-based system (PBS) for UK Skilled Worker Visas. You will need to score a total of 70 points to be successful. Your employer will also be required to hold a valid Sponsorship License to sponsor UK Tier 2 Visas.

If you have been offered a job with a UK company, they will be able to issue you a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). You will also need to meet the other requirements of this visa route. There are four categories of UK Skilled Worker Visa. The category you will need to apply under depends on the type of work you will be entering the country to undertake.

How can IAS help?

The immigration consultants at IAS have a great track record of receiving positive results for UK Skilled Worker Visa applications. With our service, your lawyer will assess your eligibility and find the right route for your application. They will organize your documents and complete all your application forms to a professional standard.

They will also help to obtain your Certificate of Sponsorship from them. Your lawyer will write a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This involves information on your case and its merits, referencing relevant UK immigration law. Call +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online now to begin your application for a Tier 2 Visa UK.


Can I apply for a Tier 2 General Visa?

The Tier 2 Visa UK is for skilled workers who have been offered a job which cannot be filled by a member of the UK workforce.

To meet the 70-point requirement, you will need:

  • 50 points from the Certificate of Sponsorship provided by your employer and evidence of an appropriate salary
  • A remaining 20 points from proof of English Language ability and sufficient maintenance funds
  • You can also switch onto this visa from several UK visas, including the Tier 4 Adult and Child Student Visas.

What is a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa?

This category is for elite, internationally recognized personalities in the sporting industry. These individuals must make a significant contribution to the development of their sport. They must score a total of 70 points to be eligible. These points come from obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship and endorsement from your sport’s governing body. The route also requires proof of English Language ability and maintenance funds.

For short-stay sportspeople, the Tier 5 (Temporary workers – creative and sporting) route may be more relevant.

More information on Tier 2 Sportsperson Visas.

What is a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa?

You can apply under this category if you have been offered a position in the UK as a religious worker, missionary or as a member of a religious order. You can also apply if you have been offered a role as a religious minister.  To apply, you must meet the 70-point requirement.

50 points come from the Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your employer. The remaining 20 come from the English language test and proof of maintenance funds.

More information on the Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa.

What is the Tier 2 Visa UK minimum salary requirement?

You will usually have to be paid a salary of £30,000 per year to meet the Tier 2 Visa UK ‘minimum’ requirement. Sometimes, this varies, and the Home Office accepts the ‘appropriate rate’ for the given role. Usually, they will measure your minimum salary requirements on which two of these is higher.

Do I need a Tier 2 Visa for Intra-Company Transfer?

This visa category is for those who are employed by a multinational company and transferring to a UK branch. This Tier 2 Visa UK route is for:

  • Graduate trainees under a structured training program. This must be for a managerial role or specialist position
  • Skills transfers for new employees to receive training only available in the UK
  • Those in a managerial or specialist role who have been hired to train workers in the UK

This application requires 60 points. 50 points come from your Certificate of Sponsorship provided by your employer. The remaining 10 come from proof of adequate maintenance funds.

More information on the Intra-company Transfer Visa.

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a Tier 2 General Work Visa?

As a skilled worker intending to work in the UK you will be able to enter the country to take a position that cannot be filled by UK workers.

As a non-EEA national, you will need to ensure that the company you have received a job offer from is able to employ foreign workers. This means that they hold the appropriate Sponsor License.

If your prospective employer does not have a valid Sponsor License, they could face several penalties. These include receiving a Civil Penalty or have their Sponsor License revoked or suspended.

I already have a Tier 2 Visa UK – can I change employer?

You may be able to apply to switch employers while in the UK on a Tier 2 Visa. You will need to follow the strict protocol to ensure your visa remains valid.

Most importantly, you must ensure that your new employer is an officially licensed UK Sponsor. This will avoid being identified as working illegally by the Home Office.

More information on changing employers on a Tier 2 Visa.

Can I become a UK resident through the Tier 2 Visa?

A Tier 2 Visa can be granted for a maximum of five years. However, it is more common to be granted a Work Visa for three years. Once you have completed your initial three years, you can extend the visa for another two years.

Once you have spent five years in the UK on a Working Visa, you should be eligible to switch from Tier 2 to ILR. ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) means you will no longer need to be sponsored by your employer to work, giving you more freedom in the labor market.

Can Tier 2 dependents work in the UK?

Yes – Tier 2 dependents can work while they are with their sponsors in the UK. This includes temporary, permanent, full-time and part-time contracts.

The right to work of your dependents is reliant on you as the Tier 2 Visa holder upholding your Tier 2 duties.

What services does IAS offer?

We take our clients’ needs very seriously at IAS. We understand that applications for UK Skilled Worker Visas are important. Our highly-qualified lawyers are on-hand to help you through every step of the process. We can advise you on the right category of Tier 2 Work Visa that is best for you and helps you complete your application professionally.

Our services include:

  • Meeting with you in person, over the phone or via Skype at a time to suit you;
  • Performing a full document check to ensure your documents are sufficient before your application;
  • Communicating with the Entry Clearance Office throughout the process;
  • Ensuring your UK sponsor has undertaken the Resident Labor Market Test, if necessary and is able to sponsor your application;
  • Producing a Letter of Representation in support of your case;
  • Completing your application forms and submitting them alongside your other documentation.

Get in touch now on +1844 290 6312 or using our online contact form to discuss your UK Tier 2 Visa options with our expert immigration attorneys.

Our Tier 2 Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to you, with written confirmation


Application Package

Full assistance throughout your entire application process


Fast Track Package

A premium service which allows your application to take priority position in your lawyer's workload


Appeal Package

Full representation through your appeal, including physical representation if your case is heard by a tribunal


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are very proud that we have changed so many of our client’s lives for the better. Here are a few of their stories:

Joginder: Tier 2 to Tier 4

Joginder is a Kenyan National who had been working in the UK under a Tier 2 Visa.
Although he was given the option to extend his Tier 2 Visa, he… Read More

Tobin: EEA Permanent Residency Card

Tobin, a German National, split his working days between the UK and Germany. However, due to Brexit, Tobin was unsure about his ability to work in the UK in the… Read More

Isabella: British Citizenship

Isabella, a Greek National, was working in the UK and intended to return to Greece for a summer holiday before becoming a student again.
She wanted to become a British… Read More

Gaston: Switching from Tier 2 to Tier 4

Gaston had been working in the UK for two years and decided that he wanted to stay in the UK and study.
He was unclear about the process and the… Read More

Samy: Tier 4 Student Visa

Samy from the Democratic Republic of Congo was accepted into a UK University. However, he had a wife and two daughters and was unsure about leaving his family behind so… Read More

Krishan: Refused Visitor Visa

Krishan is a Pakistani National who has recently been taking care of his parents who were unwell. He decided to visit his cousins in the UK by making a Read More

Latest reviews

I am very please to say I have seen by SAIMAH RAZZAQ For some very important legal advice, I am… Read More
Mohammed H
Dedicated and knowledgeable legal advisers and lawyers, making sure the clients are acquiring the highest level of understanding on their… Read More
So far so good. I was contacted promptly as promised and given sound, clear advice that has given me confidence… Read More

Latest news

PERM Labor Certification: Requirements and Eligibility Read More