Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

UK Child Student Visas

Children from the U.S can apply for the UK Child Student Visa if they are aged between 4 and 17 and wish to study in an independent school in the UK.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    UK Child Student Visas for American Children

    American children aged between 4 and 17 can apply for a UK Child Student Visa if they wish to study in an independent school in the UK. The new UK Child Student Visa replaced the Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa.

    Bear in mind that it is not possible to apply for this visa if the child wishes to study at an academy or a local authority-funded school in the UK.

    Our experienced team are here to provide expert assistance with Child Student Visa applications.

    They will consult with your chosen institution to ensure that they are able to sponsor the application. Our service also ensures that you receive your sponsorship document. They will also perform a full document check and complete your application forms to a professional standard. Your lawyer will also submit a Letter of Representation, a detailed legal document, with your application.

    Get in touch

    Make an inquiry online or get in touch today on +1844 290 6312 to discuss your circumstances or start your Child Student Visa UK application.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    UK Child Student Visa Eligibility for American Children

    The main eligibility criteria for the Child Student Visa is as follows:

    • Must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent school
    • Must be able to show you will have access to enough money to support you in the UK and pay for your course
    • Must have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK

    You can apply for the UK Child Student Visa from the United States, or inside the UK if you are switching visas.

    How Long Can I Stay in the UK?

    This depends on your age on the date you apply for the course and the length of the course.

    • Under 16 years of age: Course length of up to 6 years, and 4 months after
    • 16 or 17: Course length of up to 3 years, and 4 months after

    If you want to stay longer, you could be eligible for an extension to continue your studies in the UK.

    Course Requirements for UK Child Student Visa

    You must have been offered a place on a course with a licensed Child student sponsor to be eligible.

    The education provider will need to send you a reference number, which is known as the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You cannot apply for the visa without this reference number, as you will need to enter it on the application form.

    As mentioned, you can only do a course offered at an independent school. This visa is not suitable if an American child wants to study at an academy or local authority-funded school in the UK.

    The course will need to be taught in accordance with one of the following:

    • The national curriculum
    • The Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) at level 3 or below
    • Independent school education inspection standards

    Alternatively, you can do a course that’s accepted as being at the same academic level by:

    • Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
    • Education Scotland
    • Etsyn (Wales)
    • Education and Training Inspectorate (Northern Ireland)

    What are the Required Documents for the Child Student Visa?

    When you complete your application, you will need to provide certain information and documents. This is commonly known as the portfolio of evidence.

    You will need to provide the following information:

    • A current passport or other valid travel documentation
    • The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the course provider
    • Written consent from your parent or legal guardian for your study in the UK

    You may also need to provide:

    • Proof of your relationship to your parent or guardian. A birth certificate or a government-issued document showing the parents’ names
    • Evidence of the qualifications you used to get a place on your course

    You will also need to have written consent from both parents, or one parent if they have sole responsibility for the child/legal guardian. The parent/s or legal guardian will need to consent to your visa application, your travel to the UK and your living arrangements in the UK.

    Our expert immigration lawyers and attorneys can help you to gather all the documents and information which you will need to provide to UKVI. We will consider your unique circumstances and ensure that your portfolio of evidence includes all necessary documentation.

    Call us now on +1 844 290 6312 to find out more about how we can help you to study in the UK.

    For expert assistance with UK Child Student Visa applications, please do not hesitate to get in touch Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      Child Student Visa Application Process and Fee

      The UK Child Student Visa application must be completed online. It is important that you gather all relevant documentation in its proper form before completing the application.

      The current fees for the UK Child Student Visa is £348 if applied for from outside the UK, and £475 if applied for from inside the UK.

      The earliest you can apply for the visa is six months before the course start date if you apply from the U.S, and three months before the course start date if you apply from inside the UK.

      As part of the application process, you will need to provide certain information to prove your identity. You will either need to:

      • Provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo)
      • Use the UK Immigration: ID Check app to scan your identity document

      You will be informed of what you need to do to verify your identity when you complete your application form.

      Typically, it takes there weeks for a decision to be reached on the application if you apply from the United States. If you are switching to this visa from inside the UK, you can expect a decision within eight weeks.

      However, an application might take longer to process in certain circumstances. For instance, the UK Home Office may contact you if your documents need verifying. Bear in mind that if you are 16 or 17, you may need to attend an interview.

      You can arrive in the UK up to 1 month before your course starts.

      Can I Work in the UK Under a Child Student Visa?

      If you are over 16, you can work part-time (up to 10 hours) during term time, and full-time during vacations.

      You can also undertake a work placement as part of your course, provided it is not for more than 50% of your course time.

      Can I Extend the UK Child Student Visa?

      You may be able to extend your Student Visa if you wish to stay in the UK longer. You must apply for the extension before your current visa expires, and within six months of getting the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies.

      You can apply for the extension up to three months before the course starts. You can stay in the UK until you receive a decision on the extension application.

      To extend your visa, you will need to:

      • Already be in the UK on a Child Student Visa, or the previous Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa
      • Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licenced Child Student sponsor (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)

      You will need to provide certain documentation and information in the application, which is usually similar to the information which you would have included in your original Child Student Visa application.

      It currently costs £475 to extend the visa, and you will also need to pay the immigration health surcharge. You can expect to receive a decision within eight weeks of submitting the application.

      Do I (or my child) meet the Tier 4 (Child) Study Visa requirements?

      This visa must be applied for from the child’s country of residence. The applicant must provide evidence of acceptance onto a course at an independent, fee-paying school in the UK. They must also have:

      • written consent from their parent or guardian;
      • proof of appropriate maintenance funds; and
      • acceptable living provisions.

      You will also need to submit identification documents and complete a lengthy application form.

      Which schools can I send my child to with a Child Student Visa?

      The Child Student Visa allows a child to study at an independent school in the UK. This type of visa does not allow a child to study at an academy, local-authority or state-funded school.

      The specialists at IAS are experienced in immigration regulations for the Child Student Visa UK. Using our services will ensure that you understand what you are able to do on this visa before you submit your application.

      What services does IAS offer?

      IAS understands the importance of a child’s education. Our lawyers are experts in the field of immigration law. We can help you maximize your chances of receiving a positive result for your Child Student Visa UK. The applications for this type of visa can often be complex and stressful. At IAS, we offer:

      • Confirmation of the child’s eligibility and organization of their supporting evidence;
      • Full document check and completion of all application forms;
      • Ensuring your chosen institution is able to sponsor you and confirming your sponsorship;
      • Preparing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application;

      Make an inquiry online or contact us today on +1844 290 6312 to get started on your application.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                As an American citizen, you will not usually need to prove that you have enough money to support yourself whilst you are in the UK. However, you may be asked about your capability to pay the course fee.


                Generally, the UK Child Study Visa allows the holder to remain in the UK for the full length of their course.

                They are permitted to remain for four months after their course is complete. Once this comes to an end, they will need to leave the country or apply to switch onto another visa type.

                Yes, a parent of a UK Child Student Visa holder can apply for the Parent of a Child Student Visa. However, only one parent can accompany the child to the UK under this visa.

                To find out the requirements for the UK Parent of a Child Student Visa, please call us now on +1844 290 6312.

                The Child Student Visa replaced the Tier 4 Child Student Visa and is essentially the same immigration permission.

                Those currently living in the UK under a Tier 4 Student Visa can extend their visa and it will become a Child Student Visa in the process.