If you are a non-UK national who is currently studying in the UK on a Tier 4 Student Visa and you are interested in extending your stay once your course is over, you have several visa options to choose from.

You may have the option of continuing to study in the UK, at Masters or Post-doctorate level. For this, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 Extension. If you would like to stay in the country as a skilled worker, there is also the option of applying for a UK Tier 2 Visa or Tier 5 Temporary Work Visa. This visa option requires you to have a formal job offer from a company with a valid Sponsor License before applying.

If you are interested in starting your own business after you graduate, you might consider applying for a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa. This is a very competitive visa type with strict requirements. However, if you have a credible business plan and sufficient funds to support it this may be the best route for you. If you are a leading talent in your particular field, the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa may offer the chance of remaining in the country to continue your field-leading work.

How can IAS help?

IAS can help you decide on your best options to stay and advise you on all post-study work visa UK options. Following our initial assessment, your lawyer will perform a full document check and complete your application forms to a professional standard. They will guide you through your new visa or Tier 4 Extension application.

Your lawyer will also prepare a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This document provides details of your case and its merits, as well as references to relevant UK immigration law. We can help you whether you are applying for a Tier 4 extension or Post-study Work Visa in the UK. Contact the expert lawyers at IAS on +1844 290 6312 or use our online contact form for more information.


Can I apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa extension?

The Tier 4 Visa can be extended under a number of circumstances. If you are in the UK on an adult or child Student Visa, you will be able to apply for a Tier 4 extension to study another higher education qualification.

The qualification must be at the same educational level or higher to be eligible. You may also be able to apply for a visa extension if you need to extend your stay to resit a module in order to complete your current course. In this situation, your leave would be extended for long enough to complete your module. You must also hold an unconditional offer of study to apply for a Tier 4 Visa Extension.

How can I move from a Tier 4 to Tier 2 Visa?

It is possible to receive a Post-study Work Visa in the UK once your Tier 4 Visa is set to expire. As a skilled worker, you will be able to remain for a further five years at a UK business or company.

There are currently more than 20,000 UK businesses with a valid Sponsorship License which allows them to hire foreign workers. When transferring onto this type of Post-Study Work Visa UK, you must hold an undergraduate degree and a credible job offer from one of these businesses.

The job offer must also have a salary of at least £30,000 to apply for the Tier 2 Work Visa.

What are my options if I’m studying for a Post Doctorate Degree?

A foreign national studying in the UK as part of their Ph.D. is able to remain in the country if they wish. The Doctorate Extension Scheme allows Ph.D. students to pursue different paths for a period of time.

These paths may include entrepreneurial opportunities or real-world experiences, but they must be employed or under the guidance of a registered Tier 2 sponsor. A higher education institution is also able to sponsor this type of visa for up to 12 months.

A person on the Doctorate Extension Scheme may then be able to apply for a transfer to a Tier 2 or Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa before the expiration of their current leave.

Can I apply for a Graduate Entrepreneur Visa?

The Graduate Entrepreneur Visa is a Tier 1 route available to recent graduates of a UK university. This visa type does not require a sponsorship for work, but it does have very strict requirements. These include a high level of investment money for the business and endorsement from a recognized institution or governing body.

This visa is granted for a period of 10 months before you must apply to switch to a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa.

Can I stay in the UK with a Family Visa?

If you are in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa and you have relatives who are resident in the country, a Family Visa may allow you to extend your leave. Your application may be sponsored by a partner or family member. The applicant must be able to prove that their relationship is genuine and that they will be a member of their household. This type of visa lasts for an initial 30 months.

More on Family Visas.

What services does IAS offer?

Whether you are considering applying for a Tier 4 extension, a Post-Study Work Visa in the UK or are unsure of your opportunities, the lawyers at IAS are ready to solve your immigration issues.

Our services include:

  • Assessing your eligibility and advising you on your best post-study options
  • Completing a document check to ensure you have the sufficient evidence
  • Writing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application
  • Liaising with the Home Office during your application
  • Completing all relevant application forms to a professional standard

Contact IAS on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to speak with an experienced immigration lawyer about your Tier 4 Extension or Post-study Work Visa UK application.

Our Further Leave to Remain Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to you, with written confirmation


Application Package

Full assistance throughout your entire application process


Fast Track Package

A premium service which allows your application to take priority position in your lawyer's workload


Appeal Package

Full representation through your appeal, including physical representation if your case is heard by a tribunal


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are very proud that we have changed so many of our client’s lives for the better. Here are a few of their stories:

Adbenour: Legal Aid and Asylum help

Abdenour had arrived in the UK after a long and dangerous journey from his home abroad.
His home country was in the middle of a devastating conflict, and he had… Read More

Melissa’s Daughter’s British Citizenship

Melissa and her child are Filipino nationals who came to the UK to join Melissa’s husband.
Complications with their initial application and insufficient information being provided resulted in her child’s… Read More

Mauricio: Postgraduate Study Visa

Mauricio had been studying in the UK for three years and was offered a postgraduate position just before his visa ran out. He didn’t have much time and contacted IAS… Read More

Frederick: Fiance Visa

Frederick was a Nigerian National who was in the UK on a Visitor’s Visa staying with his Fiancée.
He wanted to apply for a Fiancée Visa but did not understand how… Read More

Parents Visiting in the UK

Harriet is dual Canadian-British Citizen who was currently living in the UK. She needed guidance on whether her Canadian Citizen parents would need a visa to enter the UK… Read More

Moving a business to the UK

Gabrielle owned a successful business in Canada and she wanted to expand her business in the UK. She was able to focus on the business side of her expansion as… Read More

Latest reviews

Communication was speedy, all staff I interacted with were friendly and professional. The appointment with Danielle Blake was informative and… Read More
IAS was incredibly professional and helpful. They answered all of my questions and I would definitely recommend their services to… Read More

Superb Service all Questions Answered to the point :)

Latest news

PERM Labor Certification: Requirements and Eligibility Read More