USA and the UK
Spouse Visa UK Financial Requirements
If you plan on joining your Spouse or Civil Partner in the UK, you must first know the Spouse Visa financial requirements and exceptions.
The financial threshold you will be required to meet falls upon your British partner’s (your UK sponsor) income. He/she must earn a minimum annual amount of £18,600. This will increase, however, depending upon how many children (dependents) you may be bringing with you to the UK.
How Can IAS Help?
The lawyers at IAS have unparalleled experience when dealing with Spouse Visas. Demonstrating you have enough financial support is only one requirement of many with this visa type. Expert advice from one of our qualified immigration lawyers will maximize your chances of success.
Your lawyer will work with you to assess your financial eligibility for this visa type and explore innovative solutions to your financial worries or issues.
Get in touch with us today on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to speak with a lawyer ready to help you with every aspect of your Spouse Visa application.
Last modified on June 30th, 2023 at 5:32 am
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
If you are applying on your own, the threshold requirement is £18,600 per year.
However, if you have children that you plan on bringing with you to the UK (your dependents), the financial requirements increase per child.
For the first child, the threshold increases to £22,400.
For any additional child after the first, an additional increase of £2,400 is expected.
If your British sponsor has a child over 18 living with them, their income can also be used to meet the financial requirements.
You are able to combine your income from a multitude of sources in order to reach the UK Spouse Visa financial requirements. These include:
- Your own income – if you are earning it in the UK
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or sick pay
- Non-employment pay (eg. Rent or shares)
- Income from employment/self-employment – as long as you have been earning this wage for no less than six months
- Cash savings of over £16,000 if you have both had control of the account for over six months
You could be eligible for financial requirement exception if you or your UK sponsor are receiving any of the following benefits:
- Disability living allowances
- Severe disablement allowance
- Industrial injuries disablement benefit
- Attendance allowance
- Personal independence payment
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
- Constant-attendance allowance – including Mobility supplement or War Pension
- Bereavement benefits
If you or your UK sponsor receive these benefits, you will be expected to provide evidence that you can both live on ‘adequate maintenance’.
Since August 10th 2017, Spouse Visa UK financial requirements have become more flexible. The UK government now considers all forms of income where the sponsor cannot meet the income threshold.
However, it is best to seek legal advice by talking to IAS about your financial circumstances. One of our lawyers at the Immigration Advice Service will be able to check if you qualify to be exempt from the financial requirements.
Our expert immigration lawyers are here to help you with every step of your Spouse Visa application.
- Ensure that you meet the Spouse Visa UK financial requirements or exceptions;
- Make sure you have sufficient proof of your earnings;
- Assess your financial eligibility and your options;
- Provide a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This letter will outline your financial circumstances clearly to the UK government;
- Communicating and liaising with the Home Office for you;
- Submitting and completing each section of your application with the utmost care and attention to detail.
Call now on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to speak with an expert immigration lawyer today.