If you’re a US-born citizen but living in the UK on a Spouse/Civil Partner Visa, after 30 months you are eligible to apply for UK Spouse Visa extension. You will need to submit an FLR (M) form to the UK government. You will also need to ensure that you meet the same requirements that you met when you were granted your first-time Spouse Visa application.

How can IAS help?

Contact us to be in touch with one of our expert immigration lawyers who can assist you with your application. Our lawyers are fully qualified and familiar with the UK Spouse Visa renewal process. They will confirm that your documents are sufficient to prove you and your partner’s relationship is genuine. They will also provide a Letter of Representation to support your application.

Call us on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to speak to an expert immigration lawyer about your circumstances.


How can I renew my Spouse or Civil Partner Visa?

In order to apply for a Spouse Visa renewal, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are in a genuine relationship that can be backed by evidence
  • You intend to continue living together in the UK
  • You must have an immigration history which reflects your good character and conduct
  • You need to continue to meet the Spouse Visa financial requirements.

What if my Spouse Visa Extension is refused?

If your UK Spouse Visa Extension application is rejected, you will have 14 days to appeal to the First Tier Tribunal. The First Tier Tribunal will then decide whether or not to hear your case.

Contact one of our immigration lawyers quickly to assist your appealing process. IAS houses experts in Spouse Visas and renewals. Your lawyer will be able to guide you through the stressful time of appealing a rejected Spouse Visa application.

When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain from a Spouse Visa?

Once you have applied for a UK Spouse Visa Extension, you should be able to stay in the UK for the full five years required for Indefinite Leave to Remain. These applications will require you to prove that you still meet all the requirements of your previous visa application.

The application for ILR will also have a number of other requirements which you will need to prepare for. These include a Life in the UK test and possibly further proof of English Language ability.

You cannot apply for permanent residency in the UK if you are a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner.

More on ILR from a Spouse Visa

What services does IAS offer?

UK Spouse Visas are notoriously tricky to obtain. The applications are often lengthy and confusing, so it is best that you seek expert advice with this particular visa type.

At the Immigration Advice Service, we seek to make your Spouse Visa Renewal application successful in the UK by:

  • Ensuring you meet the financial requirements according to the minimum income threshold;
  • Checking your documents and evidence to prove your relationship is genuine;
  • Cooperate and liaise with the UK government from beginning to end of your application;
  • Complete each form to a professional standard;
  • Produce a personalized Letter of Representation. This will detail the merits of your case, along with supporting UK case law to ensure your chances of success are maximized.

Contact us on +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online to start your application for a UK Spouse Visa extension.

Our Spouse Visa Extension Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to you, with written confirmation


Application Package

Full assistance throughout your entire application process


Fast Track Package

A premium service which allows your application to take priority position in your lawyer's workload


Appeal Package

Full representation through your appeal, including physical representation if your case is heard by a tribunal


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case Studies

We are very proud that we have changed so many of our client’s lives for the better. Here are a few of their stories:

Matthew: Working on a Student Visa

Matthew, a US national, had been studying in the UK for three years with a Tier 4 General Student Visa.
He found a potential employer in the UK but… Read More

Horatio: Study Visa with University Sponsorship

Horatio was given a scholarship to study in the UK but has never left his home country, Paraguay.
The university contacted IAS and took over the application for Horatio.  IAS… Read More

Asis: EEA Free Movement

Asis, a Spanish national, was offered employment in the UK but was unsure whether or not he would be able to bring his wife and children with him when he… Read More

Harrison: Entrepreneur Visa

Harrison wanted to expand his Singapore-based business to the United Kingdom. He contacted IAS and worked closely with one of our lawyers who advised him to apply for for a… Read More

Marcelle: Visitor Visa

Marcelle contacted IAS about how to obtain a UK Visitor Visa as she was touring Europe.
The lawyer from IAS instructed her on the requirements of the UK immigration rules… Read More

Remy: Working in the UK

Remy was a French national living in the UK who had found employment in the UK.
However, his employer was unsure whether or not Remy was eligible to work in the… Read More

Latest reviews

Recently, I had engaged Nasreen Ali to assist in the successful application for UK citizenship for my daughter. Prior to… Read More

Ms Houri Zahedi had endless patience during our telephone consultation and gave us high quality advice!


Accurate, up to date information with very useful advice.

Latest news

PERM Labor Certification: Requirements and Eligibility Read More