Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Retiring to Ireland from USA

If you are living in the USA and looking to retire to Ireland then you wil need to ensure you have the correct permissions in place to enjoy retirement life. It is likely that you will need to apply for an appropriate visa to relocate to Ireland.

For more information on how to retire to Ireland as well as more details on how to provide independent verifications that comply with the financial conditions, the application process, and how to get reliable immigration advice for your case, reach out to one of our advisers today. Call us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts


    U.S. citizens can enter and stay in Ireland for three months. Staying for more than 90 days after arriving in the country requires permission for those travelling with a US passport.

    It is possible to retire in Ireland with a D Reside visa, but you must demonstrate financial capability before being granted one. You may then be able to obtain Irish citizenship by renewing your D Reside visa for a specified period of time.

    You can also retire in Ireland by obtaining Irish citizenship through descent. Irish citizenship will allow you to enter, live, and work freely in Ireland.

    People who do not qualify for Irish citizenship by descent can only retire in Ireland on a D Reside visa.

    You should note being a D Reside visa does not allow access state to benefits and other public funds.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Who can Retire to Ireland?


    Some rules determine who and who is not allowed to stay in Ireland for the long term. Retiring in Ireland will depend on your nationality, the kind of passport you hold as well as individual circumstances.

    • Irish and UK nationals
    • EU/EEA and Swiss nationals
    • Other nationals

    Irish and UK nationals

    You can enter Ireland without a visa if you’re an Irish or UK citizen. With an Irish passport, you can reside in the country without any restrictions and access state benefits, including health care.

    UK nationals can also live and work in Ireland without requiring a retirement visa. Despite the UK’s exit from the European Union (EU), UK citizens do not need retirement permission to retire in Ireland.

    EU/EEA and Swiss nationals

    If you’re from Switzerland or an EU/EEA member state, you can live in Ireland for up to 90 days without restrictions. However, if you are retired and want to stay longer, there are certain conditions that you must satisfy.

    You will to show sufficient resources and health insurance to support yourself and show you will not become reliant on state support. This can demonstrated by pension income, employment, real estate or other income like shares and stocks.

    Though the requirements are not as strenuous as those for non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals, you still need to provide proof of funds and health insurance. You also need to register your residence after you arrive in the country.

    Other nationals

    Citizens of countries with preferential immigration status, like the USA, are also allowed to enter and stay in Ireland for 90 days. However, retiring in Ireland as an American citizen will require you to have a D Reside visa.

    If you’re not a citizen of those countries and are not from the EU/EEA, Switzerland, or the UK and you wish to retire in Ireland, you must obtain a visa before you can be allowed into the country.

    When you arrive in Ireland, you must get permission to remain by registering at a local Garda station.

    Ready to retire to Ireland from the USA? Contact us and start planning your move today. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      How easy is it for Americans to retire in Ireland?

      Typically, U.S. citizens do not need a visa to enter Ireland when visiting for 90 days, either on business or vacation. If you want to stay beyond 90 days, a retirement visa is required.

      You will prove your financial independence to the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service (INIS) and obtain retirement permission. You will provide your passport, bank statements, the reason for requesting permission, a copy of your birth certificate, evidence of private health insurance and other relevant documents.

      Since March 2015, individuals from non-EU/EEA countries who wish to retire in Ireland must have an annual income of at least €50,000 before a retirement visa can be issued.

      After obtaining permission and staying in Ireland for a stipulated time, you can apply for  Irish citizenship. However, some restrictions are placed on non-EU/EEA/Swiss/UK nationals.

      Therefore, it is preferable to retire in Ireland through Irish citizenship by descent rather than stamp 0 (D Reside). You are eligible for Irish citizenship through your parents or grandparents if they were born either in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.

      Stamp 0 (D Reside Visa) Permission


      A D Reside visa will allow you to stay in Ireland for the long term after you enter the country. It is the required visa for retirement purposes.

      American citizens retiring through the stamp 0 (D Reside visa) route must apply to the local immigration officer when they arrive in Ireland.

      People of independent means

      People who are financially independent and wish to retire in Ireland on a long-term basis are permitted to stay in the country. Proving financial independence is crucial because you will not receive state benefits. You must be able to show that:

      • You have a yearly income of €50,000. For couples, €100,000 per year is required.
      • You can access a lump sum of money of approximately €200,000 to cover sudden major expenses.

      IAS can provide more information on the type of financial documents that will be needed to support your application.

      Elderly dependent relatives

      If an elderly dependent relative is joining a family member in Ireland, Stamp 0 permission can be granted. Family members who reside legally in the country must have sufficient funds with proof of their financial capability to sponsor their elderly relative.

      INIS require family members who want to sponsor one elderly dependent relative must earn a yearly income of €60,000 after tax and deductions in each of the three years before application. In the case of two relatives, €75,000 is required.

      Dreaming of retiring to Ireland? Let us help you make that dream a reality. Call us today. Contact Us

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Irish Citizenship by Descent

        The general way to get Irish citizenship through descent is if your parent, grandparent or great-grandparent was born in Ireland.

        Another way is if your parent was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth but was born outside of Ireland, you can get Irish citizenship. You will need to register your birth on the Irish Foreign Births Register.

        You will then become an Irish citizen if your birth registration is approved, effective from the date of your birth registration.

        While this option is not available to everyone, other options can get you Irish citizenship. If, for instance, you were born in Ireland before 1 January 2005, you’re automatically an Irish citizen.

        What it means is that you’re entitled to enter, live and work freely in the state. However, if you were born in Ireland on or after 1 January 2005, any of the following will classify you as an Irish citizen:

        • You have at least one parent who was granted refugee status in Ireland at the time of your birth.
        • You have at least one parent who was entitled to live in the Irish State or Northern Ireland without a restriction on their residency at the time of your birth.
        • You have at least one parent who was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth.

        Can a US citizen be granted Permanent Residency in Ireland?

        The simple answer to that question is yes. When you obtain Irish citizenship through descent, you have the rights of an Irish citizen.

        If you did not qualify for Irish citizenship by descent and you retire to Ireland through Stamp 0 (Reside visa), you can be granted permanent residency if you comply with the application process.

        A D Reside visa is valid for a year, and after meeting the financial threshold in the first year, you can renew your retirement visa the following year.

        Despite the difficulties of staying long-term because the rules may change, when you have been in the country for five years, that is a five-year authorisation.

        If you stay for another five years, which makes it up to ten years, you can now be granted permission to live in Ireland permanently.

        With this, you can qualify for an Irish passport, and as an Irish citizen, you can roam freely throughout Europe.

        Documents required for Retiring to Ireland

        Below are the following documents the INIS will require to support your application:

        • Clear and legible copies of all your passports, including the visa on which you entered the country
        • Reason for requesting permission
        • Copy of your birth certificate/marriage certificate (if married)
        • Evidence of all finances available to you (for example, six months’ bank statements and payslips)
        • Evidence of your finances verified by an Irish-based accountant listing yearly income and any financial liabilities.
        • Evidence of private medical insurance with full coverage in private hospitals
        • Police Clearance Certificate
        • Health declaration
        • Any other information you consider relevant to your case

        Want to spend your golden years in Ireland? Let us help you make it happen. Contact Us

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          How Can IAS Help?

          Obtaining Irish citizenship can be accomplished through retirement or by demonstrating Irish descent. An Irish passport will allow you to enter, live and work freely in Ireland.

          If you are an American and want to obtain a retirement visa, IAS can help. IAS can also help if you want to get Irish citizenship if you are of Irish descent.

          We have expertise in this area; we’ll guide you to obtaining retirement permission and getting Irish citizenship.

          We can also assist you with visa requirements, preparing the required documents, and explaining the most suitable immigration option for you.

          For more information about the services we offer and how we can help, reach out to one of our team members today. Call us on +1 844 290 6312, or contact us online.

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts