Immigration Advice Service
001 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Shortage Occupation List

We are a team of experienced immigration lawyers that care about your future.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Shortage Occupation List

In most cases, when a company wants to hire a foreign national, they must ensure that the job cannot be filled with ‘residential’ (UK & EU) talent. This is called the Resident Labor Market Test (RLMT). The process involves advertising the job exclusively to resident jobseekers for at least 28 days. Once this has been done, the job can be advertised to talents from outside the EEA and offered to possible Work Visa holders – such as US citizens. The only exception to this rule, however, is when the job is listed on the UK Shortage Occupation List. If this is the case, the employer automatically bypasses the RLMT.

When looking for work in the UK, it is worth knowing whether you are applying for titles on the list or not. This is because you will be far more likely to be offered a job which is in shortage in the UK and therefore can begin your Tier 2 Visa application process faster. Contact us now on +1844 290 6312 to speak with one of our expert lawyers about your Tier 2 application and the Shortage Occupation List. Or, use our online contact form to speak with an adviser.

Shortage Occupation List
Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo
Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

There are many occupations which are listed on the UK Shortage Occupation List. It is important to note that the roles on the list can vary.

They currently include:

Production Managers (in roles such as Managing Director, Program Director, Site Manager, Project Manager and Site Director)

Physical Scientists (in roles such as Engineering Geologist, Geophysicist, Geochemist, Geoscientist, Hydrogeologist, Geologist and Technical Services Manager)

Civil Engineers (in roles such as Petroleum Engineer, Reservoir Engineer, Drilling Engineer, Offshore and Subsea Engineer, Control and Instrument Engineer, Fluids Engineer, Geotechnical Engineer, Process Safety Engineer, Wells Engineer, Senior Mining Engineer and Tunneling Engineer)

Mechanical Engineers (in roles such as Mechanical engineer (Gas and Oil Industry)

Electrical Engineers (in roles such as Power System Engineer, Control Engineer, Protection Engineer, Electrical Machine Design Engineer, Specialist Electronics Engineer (Automotive))

Electronics Engineers (in roles such as Specialist Electronics Engineer in Automotive Manufacturing and Design, Signaling Design Manager, Signaling Principles Designer, Senior Signaling Design Checker, Signaling Design Checker and Signaling Systems Engineer)

Design and Development Engineers (in roles such as Product Development Engineer, Design Engineer in Electricity Transmission Distribution, Product Design Engineer, Integrated circuit Design Engineer and Integrated Circuit Test Engineer)

Production and Process Engineer (in roles such as Chemical Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer (Aerospace), Technical Services Representative in Nuclear Waste Industry)

Other Engineering Professionals (in roles such as Project Engineer, Proposals Engineer, Aerothermal Engineer, Stress Engineer, Chief of Engineering, Advance Tool and Factoring Engineer, Operations Manager, Decommissioning Specialist Manager, Project/Planning Engineer, Radioactive Waste Manager, Radiological Protection Advisor, Nuclear Safety Case Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer (pressure vehicles), Piping Design Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer (stress) and Thermofluids/ Process Engineer)

Specialist IT Managers (in roles such as IT Product Manager (minimum 5 years’ experience and employment in qualifying company required))

System Designers/ Architects (in roles such as System Engineer in Visual Effects (Animation)

Programmers and Software Developers (in roles such as Senior Developer (minimum 5 years’ experience and employment in qualifying company required), Software Developer (Animation), Shader Writer, Games Designer, Driver Developer, Embedded Communications Engineer (in roles such as Cyber Security Specialist (5 years minimum experience and employment with a qualifying company required))

Environmental Professionals (in roles such as Contaminated Land specialist, Geo-environmental Specialist, Landfill Engineer)

Medical Practitioners (in roles such as Clinical Radiology Consultant, Emergency Medicine Consultant, Old age Psychiatry Consultant, Emergency Medicine, Specialist Special Emergency Doctors, Old-Age Psychiatrist, Pediatric, Emergency Medicine Trainee and Psychiatry Trainee)

Medical Radiographers (in roles such as HPC Registered Diagnostic Radiographer, Nuclear Medicine Practitioner, Radiotherapy Physics Practitioner, Radiotherapy Physics Scientist, Sonographer)

Healthcare Professionals (in roles such as Neurophysiology Healthcare Scientist, Neurophysiology Practitioner, Nuclear Medicine Scientist, Orthotist, and Prosthetist)


Secondary Education Teachers (in roles such as Mathematics Teacher, Physics Teacher, and Chemistry Teacher)

Economists and Statisticians (in roles such as Bio-informatician and Informatician)

Social Workers (in roles such as Children’s and Family Services Social Worker)

Quality Control and Planning Engineers (in roles such as Planning/ Development Engineer and Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Engineer)

Engineering Technicians (in roles such as Commissioning Engineer and Substation Electrical Engineer)


Artists (in roles such as 2D/ 3D Computer Animator (Film, TV, Gaming)

Dancers (in roles such as Classical Ballet Dancer and Contemporary Dancer)

Musicians (in roles such as Orchestra Member (depending on section))

Arts Officers, Directors and Producers (in roles such as 2D Supervisor, 3D Supervisor, Computer Graphics Supervisor, Producer, Production Manager, Technical Director and Visual Effects Supervisor)

Graphic Designers (in roles such as Compositing Artist, Matte Painter, Modeler, Rigger, Stereo Artist and Texture Artist)

Buyers and Purchasing Officers (in roles such as Manufacturing Engineer (purchasing))

Welders (in roles such as High Integrity Pipe Welder (a minimum of 3 years’ experience required))

Aircraft Maintenance (in roles such as Licensed and Military Certifying Engineer/ Inspector Technician)

Line Repairers and Cable Jointers (in roles such as Level 2+ Overhead Lines worker)

Chefs (in roles such as Executive Chef, Head Chef, Sous Chef, Specialist Chef (minimum 5 years’ experience required for all chef roles, excludes Fast Food Restaurants)

The positions on the Shortage Occupation List are all long-term positions. To take on any skilled, permanent roles in the UK, you need a Tier 2 Work Visa. Skilled, temporary work is not subject to the RLMT but you will need to apply for a Tier 5 Visa.

To apply for these jobs, you will not need a visa. You can only start your work permit application once you have received a job offer from a registered Sponsor License holder.

Our team of expert lawyers can assist you if you are either looking for work in the UK or have been offered a UK job offer.

As part of the service, you will be matched with one of our expert immigration lawyers.

They will:

  • Assess your different options, based on your skills and experience
  • Determine if you qualify for a professional role on the UK Shortage Occupation List
  • Gather, check and file your documents into an extensive evidence portfolio to present to the Home Office
  • Liaise with your UK sponsor and arrange your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)
  • Provide a detailed Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This letter will discuss your case and legal support
  • Monitor your work visa application once it has been submitted
  • Liaise with the Home Office until a decision is reached

Contact us at +1844 290 6312 or make an inquiry online for more information about the Shortage Occupation List and Work Visas. Our lawyers can advise you on the best course of action for your personal situation.

Visa curtailment.