When it comes to choosing a place to emigrate, many Americans will look for somewhere with a common language. This is why emigrating to the UK is an attractive prospect. The language and culture are very similar, so there are fewer problems with assimilating into British life as an American. The two countries are also connected by history and the both governments have pledged to improve links in the coming years as the UK completes the Brexit negotiations.

At the moment, the best route to become an American working in the UK is through a work permit. There are three main categories you should consider:

  • Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa
  • Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa
  • Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa

All of these are points-based visas, meaning that you will need to satisfy a number of criteria in order to be eligible. As an American citizen, it is unlikely that you will need to satisfy the English language test. Points are also given for a valid sponsorship certificate, an appropriate salary and if the job on offer is on the shortage occupation list.

Are there jobs in the UK for US Citizens?

Like in the US, the UK job market is currently growing. Despite uncertainty from Brexit, there are still opportunities and jobs in the UK for US citizens. The best place to start looking is the company you are currently employed with. It’s often easier to be transferred within your own company rather than looking for another company to sponsor your UK work permit.

If you are looking for jobs in the UK for US citizens, there are many job hunting sites to help make your search easier. Before putting too much time into the application, you will need to check that the company will be willing and able to sponsor your work permit. They will have to hold a sponsor license issued by the UKBA.

If you work in a specialist field, you may have a better chance of finding jobs in the UK for US citizens by checking the shortage occupations list. This is updated annually and includes occupations that are currently in need of workers in the UK. Employers must first advertise these roles to UK settled citizens and then to EEA citizens and finally to non-EEA citizens. If you are highly skilled in a shortage industry, this could be a great way to become an American working in the UK.

What if I change employers while in the UK?

The restrictions on your work visa will mean that you will have to apply for a new sponsorship if you change employers. Your new employer will also have to hold a sponsor license issued by the UKBA.

If you’d like help to become an American working in the UK, get in touch with our team to see how we can help. We’ve helped many American citizens to secure jobs in the UK.