Immigration Advice Service
001 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

EB2 Visa (Second Preference Employment-based Visa)

Foreign workers with exceptional ability or an advanced degree are eligible to come to the United States for work. If you are interested in pursuing this type of worker visa, get in touch with us today to assess your eligibility. We are a team of experienced immigration lawyers that care about your future.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

What is an EB-2 Visa?

The EB2 Visa, or EB2 Green Card, is a second preference employment-based visa that allows for permanent resident status. It is available for foreign nationals who hold an advanced degree or equivalent. You must also prove your “exceptional ability”, meaning significant expertise in your field.
There are three tiers of EB-2 Visas:

  • EB-2A Visa (Advanced Degree)
  • EB-2B Visa (Exceptional Ability)
  • EB-2C Visa (National Interest Waiver)

The U.S. Immigration Department allocates only 40,000 Green Cards for each category every year. All the information about the number of available permits is listed in the EB2 Visa bulletin.

In addition, you must also meet the requirements specified in your labor certification if applicable. Applicants who qualify may be eligible to bring their spouse and children (unmarried and under the age of 21) to the United States in E-21 (spouse) and E-22 (children) immigrant status.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

Requirements for EB-2A Visa (Advanced Degree)

If you are applying for an EB-2A visa, you will need an advanced degree in your field or its foreign equivalent plus 5 years of post-baccalaureate or any other progressive work experience in your field. In addition, you must meet the other requirements specified in your particular labor certification.

In order to meet these requirements, you will need to submit any documentation that shows you have an advanced degree such as the following:

  • an official academic record showing that you have a U.S. advanced degree or a foreign equivalent
  • an official academic record showing that you have a U.S. baccalaureate degree or foreign equivalent
  • letters from current or former employers showing that you have at least 5 years of progressive post-baccalaureate work experience in your specialized field
  • a doctoral degree (or foreign equivalent)

Requirements for EB-2B Visa (Exceptional Ability)

To apply for EB-2B Visa you must demonstrate that you have exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business. To have ‘exceptional ability’ means that you possess “a degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered in the sciences, arts, or business”. In order to prove this expertise, you must meet at least three of the following criteria:

  • Official academic records showing that you have a degree, diploma, certificate, or a similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to your area of exceptional ability
  • Letters documenting at least 10 years of full-time experience in your occupation
  • A license to practice your profession or certification for your profession/occupation
  • Evidence that you have commanded a salary or other remuneration for services that demonstrates your exceptional ability
  • Membership in a professional association(s)
  • Recognition for your achievements and significant contributions to your industry or field by your peers, government entities, professional or business organizations
  • Any other comparable evidence of eligibility

Requirements for EB-2C Visa (National Interest Waiver)

Individuals with exceptional ability and whose employment in the United States would greatly benefit the nation can request that the Labor Certification be waived by applying for a national interest waiver. In order to apply for this waiver, the applicant must demonstrate that it is in the nation’s interest that US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) waive the job offer requirement. To do this, the applicant must provide evidence of an advanced degree or exceptional ability along with meeting the National Waiver criteria which are as follows:

  •  The proposed endeavor has both substantial merit and national importance
  • The applicant is well-positioned to advance the proposed endeavor
  • It would be beneficial to the United States to waive the requirements of a job offer, and thus the labor certification

Along with their self-petitioned Form I-140 (Petition for Alien Worker), those seeking a national interest waiver must also file their labor certification directly with USCIS.

What is the application process for these visas?

Applicants for EB-2A and EB-2B must first have their employer file Form I-140 (Petition for Alien Worker) and wait for their priority date (a spot to open up in the visa bulletin). Once a spot has opened up, they will be called to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (if abroad) for an interview.

Those individuals who are seeking a national waiver can self-petition with their Form I-140 (Petition for Alien Worker). Employers for EB-2A and EB-2B applicants must be able to demonstrate that they can continually pay the offered wage whilst working in the U.S. To do this, the employer can submit an annual report, federal tax return, or audited financial statement to prove that they have the funds.

In order for the employer to sponsor a foreign worker for an EB-2 visa, the employer must first file with the US Department of Labor for Permanent Labor Certification using the Program Electronic Management Review (PERM) System. To do this, the employer must meet the following requirements:

  • Certify that a job is available and is in a specialized professional field
  • Demonstrate that the job is also available to U.S. workers
  • Demonstrate that a foreign worker is needed
  • Demonstrate that the pay rate for the job is at a prevailing industry rate

To ensure that no qualified American workers are available for the employment position, employers must go through an extensive recruiting process. Once all the requirements are met, the Department of Labor will issue a PERM form and the employer can then sponsor a foreign worker for an EB-2 visa.

What are the fees?

Depending on your case and unique circumstance, the costs associated with an EB2 visa will vary. Overall, the cost of the application will consist of the following fees:

  •  Form I-140 (if you are self-petitioning): $700
  • Form DS-260 (Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application): $325
  • Affidavit of Support: $120
  • Form I-485 (Adjustment of Status), this form is if you are already in the U.S. under a different visa and need to adjust your status to an EB2 visa
  • USCIS Immigrant fee: $220
  • Medical Examination and required vaccinations: costs may vary
  • Certified Translations (if applicable): costs may vary
  • Travel expenses: costs may vary

Your U.S. employer will be responsible for any costs associated with acquiring a PERM form. Currently, there is no charge to the filing fee for the PERM form.

How long does it take to get an EB2 visa?

The processing time to get an EB2 varies depending on how long it takes for you to receive your priority date, in other words, for a spot to open up in the visa bulletin. The wait time for this will depend on a number of factors such as if there is a USCIS backlog of visa applications and what country an applicant is applying from. For instance, if you are applying from China or India, the wait time is much longer.

The average processing time for Form I-140 is around 6-9 months. Premium Processing is available for those who do not want to wait months for their Form I-140 to process. This type of expedited processing will process your visa application in 15 calendar days. If you choose to have your application premium processed, you must first file Form I-907 (Request for Premium Processing Service) and pay the $2,500 fee. Keep in mind that this service is not available for those EB2 visa applicants who are seeking a National Waiver.

For those who need a PERM Labor Certification, the process can take an additional 8 months to 2 years. This depends on how your employer conducts their recruitment process and if they are audited for it. If you need more details about this process and how long it will take, it is recommended that you speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can advise you on your timeline and options.

What happens at the Interview?

Since the EB2 visa is a worker’s visa that allows for permanent residency, you will be asked to attend an in-person interview at your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If you are in the U.S. when filing, you will be asked to go to a local USCIS field office.

In this interview, the USCIS officer will call you into a private area, ask you to raise your right hand and promise to tell the truth then check your photo I.D. After this, the officer will ask you some questions regarding the information in your application visa file. Questions asked are normally at the interviewer’s discretion however the interview will likely ask you questions about your background, your job qualifications, details about your job offer in the U.S., and your employer.

After the interview, if the immigration official is satisfied with the answers given, your visa will be approved. It should be noted, that any dependents who are also on your visa application must attend an interview as well. However, the interview is waived for children under 14 years old. If you are attending the interview with your spouse or children, they will be asked certain personal questions as well like how long you and your spouse have been married, where were your children born, and any other relevant questions that prove you are in a bona fide relationship. This interview is more light and friendly than intimidating so try not to get too worried or stressed out about it.

What documents should I bring with me to the interview?

When you attend an interview at your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy for your immigrant visa, you will be asked to bring with you a number of documents. These may include the following:

  • A passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the intended date of entry into the U.S.
  • The confirmation page of the DS-260 (Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application)
  • Two 2×2 photographs that meet U.S. Visa standards
  • Any relevant immigration documents received after your petition was filed
  • A letter from your employer confirming employment
  • Completed Medical Examination and Proof of Vaccination Forms
  • Marriage and birth certificates if you are interviewing with your family who will also come with you to the U.S.

All documents submitted should be in their original form. These will be given back to you usually at the end of the interview.

Required Medical Examinations and Vaccinations

In order to be approved for a U.S. immigrant visa, all applicants must first complete a medical evaluation proving that they are healthy enough to enter and live in the United States without posing a risk to the general public. In addition to this medical examination, the applicant must also receive the required vaccinations.

Instructions for what specific vaccinations are needed along with the required medical examination form will be sent to the applicant in the first NVC packet. All medical forms must be signed by a licensed doctor. These will be included in the portfolio of evidence that will be submitted later.

How we can help with your EB2 Visa process

Every year, the number of foreign nationals who wish to get an EB2 Green Card is significantly high. Since this visa can offer an accessible route to permanent residence, the USCIS only approves a few relevant applications. Consequently, it is strongly advised to seek expert guidance from an immigration lawyer.

IAS can offer you one of its best attorneys, with a track record in successful Green Card applications. We can review your case and assess if you meet the “exceptional ability” requirements. Therefore, we will determine if your support documents are adequate and if they need to be translated into English. We will also prepare you for your interview.
Get in touch today to discuss the best strategy to go through your EB2 application and cut down the processing time.
Call us on +1 844 290 6312 or enquire online. We are here to help.

Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

To be eligible for an employment-based Green Card, you must hold an advanced degree or have exceptional ability. Furthermore, you need to meet at least three of the following EB2 Visa requirements:

  • At least 10 years of full-time experience in your occupation;
  • A license to practice your profession;
  • Membership in any professional association in your field;
  • Official academic record showing your exceptional ability;
  • Proof of your significant contribution to your industry;
  • A salary adequate to your position and your role.

If you wish to apply for an EB-2A Visa, you must provide evidence of at least 5 years of progressive work experience in your industry.

If you are applying for an EB-2B Visa, you must demonstrate your exceptional ability. This means that your degree of expertise must be significantly above the average of your field.

If you have less than 5 years of experience, you cannot apply for this permit. However, skilled professionals may still meet the EB3 Visa requirements.

Applicants seeking an EB-2C visa must prove that the U.S. would notably benefit from their skills and competence.

The U.S. law defines as “extraordinary ability” every skill that is “significantly above that normally encountered”.

To be eligible for extraordinary ability-based visas, you must provide at least three of the following documents:

  • Academic records;
  • National or international recognition in your field;
  • Valid professional licenses;
  • Written statements to attest your experience and your skills;
  • Membership in professional associations;
  • Exceptional salary, adequate to your role in your field.

When processing your application, the U.S. DOL (Department of Labor) needs to issue a PERM Labor Certification. This Program Electronic Review Management System is used to check if a national worker may otherwise fill your position.

Before filing your petition, your employer must ensure that no qualified local worker is available to take the position.

Similar to other employment-based permits, the EB2 Visa application form must include an approved PERMI form from the DOL. To this end, you and your sponsor must fill out a Form ETA-750.

Only at this point, your employer can file a Form I-140. You must then wait for your EB-2 priority date to proceed with your application.

If you are already in the U.S. on a different visa, you will be able to request an Adjustment of Status using an I-485 Form. Conversely, if you live abroad, you will be summoned by your local consulate for an interview.

Those who are seeking a National Interest Waiver Visa may self-petition for their EB2 permit. In this case, you are exempted from the PERM requirement. However, the USCIS will require extensive scrutiny of your application.

The complete EB2 Green Card processing time depends on how many applications the USCIS needs to review every year. The yearly cap is 40,000: if there are more applicants than available permits, your EB2 visa priority date may retrocede.

The EB2 Visa bulletin is issued to provide more information about the number of visas available for every country.

Your petition may take about six months to be processed. However, you may wait up to two years to get a PERM Labor Certification. For this reason, your employer may want to consider paying an additional fee of $1,410. This will grant you a premium processing service for your petition, leading the total waiting time to 15 calendar days.

You still need your EB2 Visa priority date to be current before proceeding with your application. This may take other six months, leading the total EB2 Green Card processing time up to several years in some cases.

Applicants from certain countries may petition for similar visas. For example, Mexico and Canadian may apply for a NAFTA Professional Visa, to get higher chances to get their petition. The same applies to the E3 Australian Visa.

If you are an EB2 Visa holder, your immediate relatives can join you in the U.S.

Your legal spouse can apply for an E-21 visa, while your unmarried children under the age of 21 can apply for the E-22.

Once in the U.S., your spouse can request an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) to get the right to work in the country. Likewise, your children can attend public schools in the U.S.

It is important to note that these benefits can be granted only to your eligible relatives, and they do not apply to every member of your family.

EB2 Visas can be preferable to other employment-based Green Card options. However, they tend to be more complicated to get, since the USCIS will carry out an extensive investigation of your case. Therefore, you need the guidance of an experienced lawyer.

Our immigration attorneys have already successfully completed several complex cases. We are happy to assist you with your application, taking care of every part of it.

Our service includes:

  • Review if you meet the EB-2 requirements;
  • Check your supporting documentation;
  • If you are self-petitioning, we can help you complete your application forms to the highest standard;
  • Liaise with your sponsor and the DOL;
  • Provide our best support for your PERM Certification.

The get in touch with one of our lawyers, call us on +1844 290 6312 or fill out our contact form.