Immigration Advice Service
+1 844 290 6312 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

7 offices in US


Attorneys based in the
USA and the UK
Licensed USA
Immigration attorneys
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

IR4 Visa for Children Adopted in the U.S

The IR4 Visa is designed for children who have been adopted in the United States by a U.S. citizen. This is a Family Based Green Card which falls into the Immediate Relative category.

Call us on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate help & assistance with the IR-4 Visa/Green Card. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What do I Need to Know About the IR-4 Visa?

    The IR-4 Visa enables a U.S. citizen to complete an adoption application in the United States. This makes the IR-4 Visa application process simpler in comparison to the other U.S. adoption visa, the IR-3 Visa.

    If the adoption application is accepted, the child can remain in the United States and enjoy the full benefits of being a Green Card holder. They will be able to attend school, and obtain employment without the need to hold an Employment Authorisation Document.

    After five years of legal residence in the United States as an IR-4 Green Card holder, the child will be eligible to apply for citizenship.

    One of the benefits of the IR-4 Visa is the fact that there aren’t any limits imposed on the number of people who can receive one. This means that IR-4 Visa applicants will enjoy much quicker processing times than those who apply for a Preference Relative visa.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What are the Requirements for an IR-4 Visa?

    There are certain requirements which the parent and child need to be able to meet in order to be eligible for the IR-4 Visa Green Card.

    These requirements are as follows:

    • The child must be unmarried and under 21 years old
    • The child must be from a Hague or Non-Hague convention country
    • The child must meet the adoption criteria from the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
    • The U.S. citizen/s must be willing to obtain guardianship of the child in the foreign country and then adopt in the U.S.
    • The U.S. citizen/s must have a valid U.S. address
    • The U.S. citizen/s must pass an eligibility test by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

    There are two routes towards adopting a child as a U.S. citizen: Hague country convention adoption and Non-Hague country adoption.

    What is the Hague Adoption Convention?

    The Hague Adoption Convention, established in 1993, specifies the rules and regulations around intercountry adoption.

    The adoption procedure is different depending on whether the U.S. citizen adopts from a Hague convention country, or from a non-Hague convention country.

    Hague Country Convention Application

    If a U.S. citizen wishes to adopt through this route, they must choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider in the foreign country from which they want to adopt.

    Once this has been chosen, the U.S. citizen will need to complete Form I-800A (Determination on Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country) and submit it to USCIS. The USICS will perform a background check on the U.S. citizen to determine whether they are suitable to adopt a child.

    The next step is for the U.S. citizen to apply to be matched with a child in their preferred Hague Convention country. As part of this process, you will need to submit certain documents to be reviewed.

    When the authorities of your chosen country have received USCIS approval for the adoption, your chosen Hague Convention country will send the U.S. citizen details of children to whom they can adopt.

    The U.S. citizen will then need to complete form I-800 (Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative) and submit it to the USCIS. If approved, the child will be eligible to be considered for an IR-4 Visa.

    The next step is to submit Form DS-260 (Online Immigrant Visa Application) to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country from which the child is being adopted. This form will require you to fill in information about the child’s background as well as certain other details.

    How do I Get a Guardianship Order With a Hague Country Adoption?

    If all the forms have been completed to the appropriate standard, the U.S. embassy or consulate will issue a letter called Article 5/17 Letter.

    Once this letter has been received, you will be permitted to get a guardianship order for the child to immigrate to the United States.

    The U.S. citizen will then need to submit a number of supporting documents to the U.S. embassy or consulate, including the child’s passport, birth certificate and medical documents.

    You will also need to schedule an interview at a U.S. embassy where you will submit your final guardianship order to officials.

    The interviewer will decide whether to give the child the IR-4 Visa Green Card and allow the U.S. citizen to go ahead with the adoption.

    Non-Hague Convention Application

    The application process is different for U.S. citizens who wish to adopt from a non-Hague country.

    First, the U.S. citizen needs to choose an adoption center in the country where they wish to adopt the child.

    Once the U.S. citizen has chosen the country, they will need to complete Form I-600A (Application for Advanced Processing of an Orphan Petition) and submit it to the USCIS. A background check will be conducted on the U.S. citizen, just like with form I-800.

    When this has been completed, the U.S. citizen will need to obtain a guardianship order from the country from which they hope to adopt the child from. This will require the U.S. citizen to meet the particular requirements around adoption for that country.

    Form I-600 (Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative) will then need to be completed and submitted to the USCIS. The USCIS will determine whether the child that the U.S. citizen wishes to adopt is eligible for immigration the U.S.

    What are the Required Documents for a Non-Hague Adoption Application?

    Certain documents will need to be provided with the petition, including:

    • The child’s birth certificate (or written explanation about the age of the child, if birth certificate not available)
    • Evidence that the child does not have biological parents, or that they are unable to provide proper care to the child
    • Evidence that you have obtained a guardianship order

    If the petition is accepted, the USCIS or consular officer in the country the applicant is adopting from will complete Form I-604. If the form is approved, the NVC will notify the U.S. citizen of the next steps to take.

    Form DS-260 (Online Immigrant Visa) will need to be completed after approval from the NVC. This is the standard form which most U.S. immigration applications require.

    Once this has been submitted, the applicant will need to schedule an interview to provide all the documents for the child’s adoption. The interviewer will decide whether to permit the child to travel to the United States on an IR-4 Visa.

    When the child arrives in the United States, the adoptee’s family must follow other procedures to complete the adoption procedure.

    What are the fees for an IR-4 Visa Green Card?

    There are a number of costs to bear in mind with any IR-4 Visa application. The overall cost will depend on a number of factors, including the country from which the adoption is taking place.

    The fees that will apply may include:

    • Form I-800 (free if first form filed during Form I-800A approval period, or $920 in other circumstances)
    • Form I-800a ($920)
    • Form DS-260 ($445)
    • Form I-600A ($920)
    • Form I-600 (free if first form filed during Form I-600A approval period, or $920 in other circumstances)
    • Any translation fees

    For full information and guidance on the IR-4 Visa application process, please get in touch now Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              Get in touch with our expert immigration attorneys to receive assistance on your visa application. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                The IR-4 Visa is an Immediate Relative category Green Card, which means there are no annual caps imposed on the number of people who can receive an IR-4 Visa in a given year. Consequently, the waiting time for an IR-4 Visa decision will be far less than those applying for a Preference Relative Green Card.

                However, there is no specific timeframe around the processing of the IR-4 Visa Green Card.

                The processing times will vary depending on the country from which you are adopting, and if there are any problems with your application (including the submission of documents), this will delay the procedure.

                The general guidelines are that you should receive a decision within 6-12 months.

                The Hague convention countries are as follows:

                Albania Cote d’Ivoire Haiti Mexico Seychelles
                Andorra Costa Rica Hungary Moldova Slovakia
                Armenia Croatia Iceland Monaco Slovenia
                Australia Cuba India Mongolia South Africa
                Austria Cyprus Ireland Montenegro Spain
                Azerbaijan Czech Republic Israel Namibia Sri Lanka
                Belarus Denmark Italy Netherlands Swaziland
                Belgium Dominican Republic Kazakhstan New Zealand Sweden
                Belize Ecuador Kenya Norway Switzerland
                Bolivia El Salvador Kyrgyzstan Panama Thailand
                Brazil Estonia Latvia Paraguay Togo
                Bulgaria Fiji Lesotho Peru Turkey
                Burkina Faso Finland Liechtenstein Philippines United Kingdom
                Burundi France Lithuania Poland Uruguay
                Cambodia Georgia Luxembourg Portugal Venezuela
                Canada Germany North Macedonia Romania Vietnam
                Cape Verde Ghana Madagascar Rwanda Zambia
                Chile Greece Mali San Marino
                China Guatemala Malta Senegal
                Colombia Guinea Mauritius Serbia

                American citizens are not able to adopt children from the countries in bold.

                The IR-4 Visa grants the adopted child with legal residence in the United States as a Green Card holder. After five years of permanent residence, the adopted child will be eligible to apply for U.S citizenship, provided they can fulfil the full requirements.