Immigration Caseworker – Leeds
Due to our continued success in immigration law, we are expanding again – this time we are looking for a full time caseworker to join the talented and growing team in our Leeds office. The position will involve liaising regularly with clients pertaining to immigration and asylum law matters, providing verbal and written representation on behalf of clients, and undertaking casework.
Job Title: Caseworker
Responsible to: Supervisor
Responsible for: No line management responsibilities.
Supervises day-to-day work of support staff as it relates to own work
Overall Purpose of the Job
Undertake casework and manage a caseload up to level of competence/accreditation.
To provide written and verbal representation, including advocacy in court, for clients seeking assistance in the Immigration/Asylum law field in accordance with Legal Aid Specialist Quality Mark Standards and legal policy.
To advise clients regarding procedure and practice.
1. Represent clients before immigration judges, in person or in writing as required, including
preparation of cases.
1. Draft witness statements, skeleton arguments, representations and other complex
documents and letters using word-processor.
2. Ensure all contact with the client and any other action taken in respect of cases is recorded
on attendance notes and regularly updated on the database.
3. Liaise with Immigration Authorities, other agencies, and groups as required.
4. Interview and advise clients regarding Immigration/Asylum law, procedure, and practice.
Provide guidance to clients on completion of documents.
5. Supervise support staff when they provide direct administrative and secretarial support.
6. Undertake outreach work as required by Management, including liaising with ethnic
communities, delivering talks and presentations to groups, and visiting other groups and
centres as appropriate. Work from various locations as reasonably required by
7. Keep up-to-date at all time with changes in Immigration/Asylum law by reading, attending
training events and using computer for reference purposes.
8. Deliver training sessions in connection with own field of work to IAS staff and other
agencies if required.
9. Complete any other records in connection with casework in order to meet Legal Aid and IAS
requirements maintain statistics and update client files, using manual or computerised
systems as appropriate and as required by Management.
10. Deputise for Supervisor as required in their absence.
11. Maintain professional conduct, comply with IAS standards and uphold the integrity and
reputation of IAS at all times.
12. Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required by the Management.
All employees of IAS have a duty to:-
Ensure that their work conforms to the LSC Quality Assurance Standards as
implemented in the IAS Manual, and other IAS approved policies and procedures
Work within the spirit of IAS Equal Opportunities Policy at all times
Take due care of their own Health and Safety and that of others in their working
Observe Client Confidentiality
IAS staff enjoy a positive and supportive working environment. If you are thinking of applying to join our team, take a look at Our Values to find out more about what makes us tick.